Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eccentrics and Oddballs

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
    one that intially comes to mind is an eccentric irish lady with flaming red hair who used to visit us in the office on a regular basis looking for property but would never turn up for viewings. One day she came into the office saw out ad for a house which reasd " blah blah .........cats negotiable"

Her response after reading this was "oh I might take the property but only if the cat that comes with it is black with one white paw" Dozy cow thought it came with the cat!
    This post of Poppy35's got me thinking about eccentricity in general.

In my husband's home village in South Wales, there was an old man who kept his (dead) wife's shoe in his pocket at all times so as to feel close to her, and a woman who stockpiled toilet rolls and wandered about snacking on raw sausages. Yet another, who kept a telescope in his garden trained on the level crossing where his horse had died years earlier. My own mother-in-law hoarded packets of leaf tea - she bought a quarter pound daily and the entire attic was piled high with boxes of PG Tips collected over 40 years. Another relative doused every meal in so much vinegar that his family always made him eat in a different room, even (or especially!) when visitors came. As a child, I lived in the same street as a man who was probably harmless (but seemed scary) who carried two tennis racquets wherever he went (but never played tennis). My grandma risked burying the world in crochet table-mats which were neither useful nor beautiful, but nobody dared tell her.

It seems to me that eccentricity is a function of age. You rarely come across eccentric young people - why is that?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

because they are all odd nowadays!!!

We had a teacher at school who had a milking machine in his house....needless to say this and his "young" visitors soon had his carted off to the local looney hole!!

Comment

A correspondent in The Times, some years ago, reported what he found when clearing a deceased's house.
      In the loft was a box labelled "Pieces of string too short to do anything with".
      'Nuff said.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        A correspondent in The Times, some years ago, reported what he found when clearing a deceased's house.
        In the loft was a box labelled "Pieces of string too short to do anything with".
        'Nuff said.
        What do you mean? Doesn't everyone have a box like that?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

No, it's just you and that deceased person too, I guess.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

No, it's just you and that deceased person too, I guess.
            I doubt it, somehow. (By 'a box like that' I did not just mean one for unusably short pieces of string). There are lots of ways of being obsessive and eccentric about storage systems. My neighbour wraps any item for storage in four or five carrier bags, (a la pass the parcel), each with a knot requiring 30 years' naval experience to undo. My brother measures the wrapping paper for presents and must wrap symmetrically, or he frets. My daughter's friend at university has underwear drawers with separators for different coloured knickers. Now that's not normal!

Comment

So why do washing machine instructions call them 'separates'?

Comment

So why do washing machine instructions call them 'separates'?
                They dont, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                  My brother measures the wrapping paper for presents and must wrap symmetrically, or he frets guilty as charged! . My daughter's friend at university has underwear drawers with separators for different coloured knickers. Now that's not normal!
                  I disagree, my knicker drawer is the same, seperate compartments for diff colours and styles too! I cal it being organised!

each to their own!

Comment

OOOH! this is getting exciting. Can you start describing the styles now?
                    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

My sister sometimes has to put her hair straighteners in the back of the car because she knows however many times she checks that she hasn't left them on, she will have to go back home (or send her husband home) to check again.

My mother is so obsessed with not making a mess she will only eat beetroot over the sink. She really thinks this is sensible behaviour and can't understand why everybody else doesn't do the same.
                      I'm trying to raise awareness of Myotonic Dystrophy, Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD) and In vitro fertilisation (IVF). Follow my PGD blog and please pass it on to any one you know who has an interest in PGD or IVF.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                        um....no!

We woman do have lots of pairs of undies though, I got to 50 pairs and decided to de-clutter.......now down to about 40!

Comment

Originally posted by arusha View Post
                          My sister sometimes has to put her hair straighteners in the back of the car because she knows however many times she checks that she hasn't left them on, she will have to go back home (or send her husband home) to check again.
                          At least hair straighteners are a little more normal than the lead-wrapped mobile phone in a shoe-box which my friend's mother keeps in the boot of her car in case of motoring emergencies. She is convinced she will be fatally irradiated if she leaves it uncased.

Originally posted by arusha View Post
                          My mother is so obsessed with not making a mess she will only eat beetroot over the sink. She really thinks this is sensible behaviour and can't understand why everybody else doesn't do the same.
                          I love this one! Actually, it would probably be less stressfull just to give up eating beetroot at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                            This cannot be good for your blood pressure! Suggest you go and sit in the snow or something.

Comment

Careful, now, or he'll ask what you're wearing...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X