Who's a Letting Agent on this Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sportingdad View Post
    The journal is standard to persons in the business and as the person who always seems to act as the forumn school mistress correcting everyone I assumed knew what publication I was referring to.
    Is its title a closely guarded secret, then?

Comment

Originally posted by tom999 View Post
      DPS surveys claim 20% less:
      Did anybody else get the email from them the other day in which they say they're making changes to their procedures for providing contact details of tenants, and state:

"Over 8,000 deposit repayments valuing almost £5 million are waiting for the response of the lead tenant before the deposit can be repaid. In order to make a deposit repayment we need agreement from both the landlord / letting agent and the lead tenant, along with details of the correct payment method."

I wonder in how many of those 8,000 cases, the tenant hasn't bothered to respond because they know they are not due to get any of deposit back, eg due to rental arrears - so why bother helping out the LL in any way to claim it? (Just been down that road myself, having to claim it back via the 'Single Claim Process' - involving lots of paperwork, a visit to a Commissioner for Oaths, and weeks of waiting, until they've finally agreed to send it to me.)

I suspect that's the situation with most of the 8000.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
        Did anybody else get the email from them the other day in which they say they're making changes to their procedures for providing contact details of tenants, and state:

"Over 8,000 deposit repayments valuing almost £5 million are waiting for the response of the lead tenant before the deposit can be repaid. In order to make a deposit repayment we need agreement from both the landlord / letting agent and the lead tenant, along with details of the correct payment method."

I wonder in how many of those 8,000 cases, the tenant hasn't bothered to respond because they know they are not due to get any of deposit back, eg due to rental arrears - so why bother helping out the LL in any way to claim it? (Just been down that road myself, having to claim it back via the 'Single Claim Process' - involving lots of paperwork, a visit to a Commissioner for Oaths, and weeks of waiting, until they've finally agreed to send it to me.)

I suspect that's the situation with most of the 8000.
        Yes the situation is starting to break down (TDS never worked under the ARLA trial scheme) 557 disputes in first year, 6,284 in 2nd year and forecast for 12,000 this year refered to ADR who are now in the interest of "better service" are now reducing staff from 70 outsourced to 12 in-house and now for speed will turn more in the tenants favor and cause an increase of "agrieved" tenants who cannot lose by claiming, even thou they may have to wait 12 months for their money.

http://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/Ne...&type=lettings
        "Better an empty property than a tenant without a guarantor"

Comment

Originally posted by Sportingdad View Post
          The journal is standard to persons in the business and as the person who always seems to act as the forumn school mistress correcting everyone I assumed knew what publication I was referring to.
          As I have explained to you at least once already, Sportingdad, I do not correct 'everyone' at all. I work on the sensible principle of 'to each according to his need, from each according to his means'.

As a quick skim of the syntax and spelling of your post (quoted) will reveal, your need is greater than most.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

In many cases, the board said, disputes could, and should, be resolved directly by members, out of petty cash if necessary.
            For instance, it was felt that it could not have been worth the postage, let alone the letting agent’s time, to refer a dispute of £4.20. Yet this has happened.
            TDS chief executive Lawrence Greenberg said: “The £4.20 dispute is the lowest so far but we have had many for not much more.
            “This kind of misuse of the adjudication process is the overwhelming reason why the cost of dispute resolution has increased by nearly 100%. This, more than any other cost increase we have experienced, accounts for the level of subscriptions we will have to consider for next year.”
            A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
            W.Churchill

Comment

I have just had an inspirational idea. Under Roman law the testimony of slaves was only accepted after torture. Should this rule be applied to letting agents?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                I have just had an inspirational idea. Under Roman law the testimony of slaves was only accepted after torture. Should this rule be applied to letting agents?
                Greece likewise. And there are a lot of letting agents of Greek extraction (in London at least), so there is some scope for arguing there is a cultural precedent.
                Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Nah, they've all lost their Marbles.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

He's not a Letting Agent; he's just a very naughty boy.
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Re. An admission

As a new member to the forum, I am also going to declare that I am a Letting Agent of many years. I think rather than having a them & us approach with regards landlord & agent I prefer to have a more positive view that the relationship is one of working together in providing a service for a reasonable fee to the Landlord. Communication lines should always be open & responsibilities clearly defined.

Comment

Originally posted by estateagent View Post
                        As a new member to the forum, I am also going to declare that I am a Letting Agent of many years. I think rather than having a them & us approach with regards landlord & agent I prefer to have a more positive view that the relationship is one of working together in providing a service for a reasonable fee to the Landlord. Communication lines should always be open & responsibilities clearly defined.
                        Yes- if only all Letting Agents were like that, the LZ 'Letting Agents' Forum would scarcely be used.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X