Who's a Letting Agent on this Forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veryartysteve View Post
    Nope, one persons perception is an opinion, and your signature makes this point quite well. Why post a one line comment that is in direct conflict with your own signature?
    Er...irony.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      'very arty steve' : It would be helpful if you would be a bit more arty and learned to use the quote function
      Or I could keep using colours which I think is more artistic LOL

They seem to have made a "powerful and important impression" upon you as your long replies would seem to evidence...Don't be impressed by long replies. It is often easier to write a long answer than a short one.OK, if you don't want me to be impressed by you then I shall try not to be. I'd be happy to think of you as totally mediocre if that would make you happy

Correct, but both would be LESS neutral than someone who took neither side, which is my position (I am not an LA nor a LL) and that is why I AM neutral despite protests there may be to the contrary :-)'Less neutral' does not make sense. You are either neutral, or you are biased (to a greater or lesser degree). Bias is gradable; neutrality is not. If you prefer to use "bias", fine, the point was that I am a neutral observer, which is FACT. It is often the case that people take issue with style when they can not take issue with substance, this may be the case here, as I suspect you understood my point perfectly well.

It is in any case academic, since an exchange of anecdotes and subjective impressions about letting agents on a forum like this can never be objective.My neutrality (or non bias) is not derived from any anecdote but from the FACT that I am neither a LL nor a LA
      Love and peace
      The information contained within my posts are not intended as a substitute for paid legal advice and is supplied without any form of warranty or guarantee. The reader agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the author against any and all liability, damage, cost or claim (including but not limited to 3rd party claims) arising in whole or part from this post or its contents.

Comment

Worrever.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          No. 0870 is not a premium rate code. Only those beginning 09 (used to be 0898) are.
          0870 is a national call rate code applying no matter where the caller is in relation to the callee (?)
          Problem: some telecom providers offer lower-than-national rates (or even free service) for some/all calls- so such a caller overpays if using 0870.

Refer to the 'saynoto0870' website: http://www.saynoto0870.com
          Unless you're going to go by the narrow definition of 'premium' thought up by the telecoms industry, of course it'a premium rate - as is 0845, it's just less of a premium. In this day and age when I can make landline calls all over the planet for 1p per minute, I just hate, hate, hate them. The only time I ever call them is when saynoto0870 can't oblige, and it's always to some national company who always put me in a queue for ever, until they reckon they've charged me enough via the 0870 kick-back to actually talk to me. Thank heavens they are finally going, in favour of 03xxx non-geographic numbers which are charged by the telecoms companies as geographic.

Plus according to stats published last week, mobile calls now outnumber landline calls and to my knowledge 0870 and 0845 numbers are always excluded from pre-paid minutes/contracts, and I believe they are charged at more than geographic calls anyway.

Ah. Well, glad to note you also publish your geographic number too: but out of interest, what benefit to you see to having an 0845 number?

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
            Bet you're glad you asked now aren't you? Pistols at Dawn between MTG & VeryArtySteve!

Now the good LAs don't mind admiting it - after all, a quick review of Poppy35s posts will show the kind of person she is and what her business ethics are!
            hope this is a compliment??

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
              hope this is a compliment??
              You can take it as you like

Seriously, if I was in the South West I'd happily use your service and pay just about whatever percentage - because I know the job would be done right and I'd have little to worry about.

Now end of flattery or Mr Poppy35 (if there is one) will be looking for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post

Seriously, if I was in the South West I'd happily use your service and pay just about whatever percentage - because I know the job would be done right and I'd have little to worry about.

Now end of flattery or Mr Poppy35 (if there is one) will be looking for me.
                Thank you! your comments are appreciated as too often on here agents are slagged off (some with good reason im sure!).

I just treat others as I would like to be treated myself!

oh and Mr Poppy wont mind, saves him a job!

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
                  Thank you! your comments are appreciated as too often on here agents are slagged off (some with good reason im sure!).

I just treat others as I would like to be treated myself!

oh and Mr Poppy wont mind, saves him a job!
                  I'd like to add my appreciation of your posts - I have learnt a thing or two from them!

Comment

again, thank you MTG.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      No. 0870 is not a premium rate code. Only those beginning 09 (used to be 0898) are.
                      0870 is a national call rate code applying no matter where the caller is in relation to the callee (?)
                      Problem: some telecom providers offer lower-than-national rates (or even free service) for some/all calls- so such a caller overpays if using 0870.

Refer to the 'saynoto0870' website: http://www.saynoto0870.com
                      Jeffrey regardless to how to want to dress it up if the call costs more than a standard call beginning 01 Its a premium rate call and i would imagine most people would agree.

Comment

Probably safer to keep my head below the parapet but what’s the fun in that. Maybe discussing neutrality is a bad idea, but I am a landlord, tenant, previous owner of a letting agency and now an employee of a letting agency.

I’m only at an early stage of my career, and my experience of a landlord, so my experiences are naturally limited, but from what I have seen, being an agent is always going to cause some animosity from both parties, by the very definition of being an agent.

I have seen an awful lot of bad letting agencies, and part of this problem is the lack of regulation within the industry. Whilst I’m not sure on the level of regulation I would support, it certainly raises the point that landlords need to be looking at agents on an individual basis, before committing to their services. Lots of the issues raised in this thread could be avoided by checking terms of business, and consulting with the agents before committing to any works carried out.

To pick up on one point, about the commissioning of works, letting agents can often commission works cheaper due to mass purchasing power. An easy example of this is safety certificates.

Personally, I think there is a fair mix of terrible tenants, landlords and letting agents, and I can’t see the point in slandering all parties involved.

As a letting agents, I think we need to ensure we offer value for our money and well informed advice. If these two items are genuinely consistently offered then the client is going to be happy.

Comment

It seems to me that LA can become easy scapegoat.
                          2) "You know nothing about property management" - Also wrong! this used to be my full time job

[/QUOTE]

Just to be completely clear on this I am not claiming any form of expertise whatsoever. Please do NOT take the above as a statement of competence, as that was not my intention. For the avoidance of doubt as far as this forum is concerned I am an amateur "layman" and my posts should be viewed in this light only. - thanks
                          The information contained within my posts are not intended as a substitute for paid legal advice and is supplied without any form of warranty or guarantee. The reader agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the author against any and all liability, damage, cost or claim (including but not limited to 3rd party claims) arising in whole or part from this post or its contents.

Comment

Originally posted by veryartysteve View Post
                            Just to be completely clear on this I am not claiming any form of expertise whatsoever. Please do NOT take the above as any statement of competence whatsoever, as that was not my intention. As far as this forum is concerned I am strictly an amateur and my posts should be viewed in this light only - thanks
                            Trip, trap, trip, trap...

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreFaith View Post
                              But as mind the gap says, greed and unrealistic expectation isn't just a trait of some agents, its also the domain of some landlords.
                              Where did I say that? I do not think I did.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                                I'd like to add my appreciation of your posts - I have learnt a thing or two from them!

Well Poppy, compliments don't get any better than that do they!...

ps. must try harder, MTG hasn't offered you her portfolio to manage yet !!!
                                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                                W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unconscious humour from posters
                                  jta
                                  It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
                                  01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
                                • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                  JK0
                                  I believe butlers are popular in the USA. ...
                                  22-09-2019, 21:33 PM
                                • Brexit
                                  craig2222
                                  I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                                  30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  islandgirl
                                  I give up. Blind loyalty is a wonderful thing if you have it. Let us see what happens next....
                                  22-09-2019, 21:31 PM
                                • Pilot Error
                                  JK0
                                  I bet you guys know what I mean by pilot error.

It's when your tenant calls you out saying something is faulty when they don't know how to use it. Today the lady who couldn't open her Washer Dryer a couple of months ago called to tell me that the heater in her spare room wasn't working....
                                  29-12-2015, 18:03 PM
                                • Reply to Pilot Error
                                  JK0
                                  My friend's BMW is still at the garage, so he has been using his old Audi A6 automatic estate.

He rang me this afternoon: Could I give him a lift to pick up his wife from work, as the Audi was now playing up? The symptoms he described sounded like a binding handbrake, so I suggested I put...
                                  22-09-2019, 19:33 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  Macromia
                                  And the EU cannot leave the withdrawal agreement without the UK's permission - the arrangement works both ways.
                                  But, both the UK and the EU get to leave the withdrawal agreement once a more permanent trade deal of some type has been agreed (or if the transition period comes to an end without a...
                                  22-09-2019, 18:27 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  Kape65
                                  Looks like the government is on the verge of repatriating 150,000 holidaymakers over the next 48 hours and yet people seem to think they're not capable of putting food or medicine on the shelves after we leave the EU.
                                  22-09-2019, 17:53 PM
                                • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                  JK0
                                  'But you let me have a cat. You might have guessed the cat would pee on the floor, so it's fair wear & tear.' ...
                                  22-09-2019, 11:33 AM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  jpkeates
                                  That's great.

Still no meaningful and definitive list of the proposed benefits anywhere.
                                  Even if only so that in, say, a decade, we can check to see if they've been achieved.

And, given that there are significant concerns about leaving (which aren't countered by labelling...
                                  21-09-2019, 09:39 AM
                                Working...
                                X