Who's a Letting Agent on this Forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MTG,

Your replies made me smile, I thank you deeply. The very fact that you took so much time and trouble to respond means that you must feel deeply about them, which is good, its shows that my comments did strike at the heart of the matter, which is what they were designed to do.

Also, by your logic it would seem that "if I take the LL side I am neutral, but if I do not then I am biased", that is SO FUNNY - LOL
    The information contained within my posts are not intended as a substitute for paid legal advice and is supplied without any form of warranty or guarantee. The reader agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the author against any and all liability, damage, cost or claim (including but not limited to 3rd party claims) arising in whole or part from this post or its contents.

Comment

Originally posted by veryartysteve View Post
      MTG,

its shows that my comments did strike at the heart of the matter, which is what they were designed to do.
      So by your own admission, you were trying to be controversial. Strange idea of neutrality it is that you have.

We never heard back from you on your very interesting ideas about CGT, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        You are clearly not neutral...and your evidence for all your sweeping generalisations is...?
        Blimey mindthegap.. you must have had some bad experiences.

I work for a letting agency and I'm also a tenant, and I think that people really need to realise, that just like landlords, as with lettings agents, the few bad ones give the rest a bad name.

I'm also a very nice person with a strong moral code.. believe it or not, although I have to say, your post had more sweeping generalisations that the post it was replying to. I'm not sure there was any need for it.

for a simple introduction, I do not think it would be unreasonable for that sum to be refunded if the T turns out to be a nightmare.
        Would an employment agency refund a company if the employee turned out to be a nightmare? Of course not.

If an agency does landlord and employment references which are acceptable to the landlord at the start of the tenancy, I struggle to see in what world you live in that the agency remains responsible for any subsequent changes in the tenants behaviour.
        However, if the LA hasn't vetted the tenant, or correctly signed up the guarantor as you said, then I would agree completely.

If the LA did write to the LL for permission to carry out expensive repairs, then clearly the LL should respond. In the case of minor repairs, isn't that what the agent is paid to organise anyway? However, it would appear that some agents do not persist in trying to contact the LL if their first attempt fails. It's sloppy business practice, really.
        So if the landlord doesn't respond to the email, telephone calls and letters.. its still the agents fault.. I guess we have to start visiting the landlord at his home and bang on his door until he gives us the authority to go ahead.
        The LL should respond, but I suspect you'd be surprised by how often it goes ignored.
        Even if the agent goes ahead with minor work under their delegated authority limit for costs, we do, and will get lambasted for doing so. Sadly, if the work isn't "essential" or "legally obligated".. many landlords get very shirty if work is conducted without their say so, hence why agents tend to end up with a tiptoe approach, even to minor repairs.

I would be interested to hear of anyone who has experienced this amazing service since the complete opposite usually seems to be the case. LLs are often ripped off unless they organise the repairs themselves as LAs charge commission on organising tradesmen.
        As a general rule, the LA will be using "approved" contractors, who have valid public liability insurance. Its possible we may be able to source "Bob" who can do it for "a tenner guv".. but it wouldn't be prudent to do so.

Not necessarily demonic. This has been debated to death already; perhaps 'unrealistic' or 'greedy' would be better descriptors.
        Sweeping generalisations. I'm sure many LA's would describe the majority of LL's in EXACTLY the same way. But as you say, debated to death already.

Not mentally, so much as professionally deficient!
        Because we don't have degrees in human psychology, macro economics and structural engineering ???? This is a bit harsh don't you think?
        Although I would agree the LA, should have a firm grasp on the law, which isn't always the case.

I do not think most LLs expect that. In fact the reason they stick with 'find only' is because they don't trust an agent to manage their property.
        All I can say is that you would be very very surprised at the amount of indignation we receive because a LL wants extra services without paying for them.

--------

Regardless of the waffle, and point-counterpoint type posts I'd like to give a bit of background before you lay into me.

LA's complaints about LL's generally won't apply to landlords using this site, or giving advice on it, since by definition, they want to do things correctly.

Sadly, just as with LA's, many LL's don't do things correctly, and the LA's usually ends up in the firing line. We work for LL's, LL's are our client, not the tenant, nor anyone else. When things go wrong, it because we are acting on the landlords instructions.

Before you start on me, of course the LA does things without taking LL instruction as well, sometimes rightly, mostly wrongly. But the sweeping hatred and generalisations on LA's is frankly shameful. Most of us are people too, doing the best we can with imperfect people (on both sides and including ourselves) and situations.

In short, sometimes its our fault, sometimes its the LL's fault, sometimes thats just life. But as mind the gap says, greed and unrealistic expectation isn't just a trait of some agents, its also the domain of some landlords.

But seeing as we are posting help to people together, lets just get along
        If I am offering advice, I am doing so purely because I think I know the answer and would like to help, but... and its a big but, I do occasionally get things wrong, as anyone does.

So please don't sue.

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreFaith View Post
          Would an employment agency refund a company if the employee turned out to be a nightmare? Of course not.
          It most certainly would. If the employee does not last 6 months, for whatever reason, then the fee is refunded. Within the first 6 months, the employee may easily be dismissed for being a nightmare.

Whereas with a tenant, you are stuck with him for a minimum of 6 months - and more likely longer than that even if he never pays a penny of rent after the first month.

Without doubt, there are excellent LAs, and abysmal ones.

Comment

My experiece of Letting Agents

Hi guys,

Whilst we're on the subject of Letting Agents let me share just some recent experiences. I don't have an issue with LA or EA in fact they can be your best friends.

I recently had my tenants leave a West London property and with 1 months notice in course I placed an ad on Gumtree. I got calls from half a dozen LA interested in viewing and listing the property. Desirable location, off street parking, onsite gym with pool, 3 mins from tube, reasonable rent etc.

3 weeks before the current tenants were due to leave I organised a day to which I invited them all and some other local LA/EA to photograph, value and add to their listings.

And then nothing.

I got a phone call 2 months later from one asking if it was still on the market? Fortunately for me I found a suitable tenant through Gumtree who moved with a weeks void.

A similar story on the South Coast where I picked up the keys for a new rental property put it on Gumtree. Ad picked up by 2 prominent local LA, keys arranged and again no activity, no viewings, no listing on their website despite promises of a long list of prospects. Fortunately for me again, Gumtree continues to deliver and I finish the work on that flat today and the new tenants move in tomorrow.

Are these 2 isolated examples? For me with the dozen or so LA I dealt with on these 2 properties there seemed to be a lack of understanding of the landlords need to fill the vacant property asap.

Thoughts and comments welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
              It most certainly would. If the employee does not last 6 months, for whatever reason, then the fee is refunded. Within the first 6 months, the employee may easily be dismissed for being a nightmare.
              I stand corrected on this point as it has not been my experience this is so, but my experience with employment agencies is much more limited, so I assume you are correct in this.

However, if the references are thorough, and accepted, it seems a little unfair to blame the agent for subsequent changes in behaviour.
              Occasionally(see how careful I am with the wording lol) it is the LL's behaviour (as you say, some excellent some abysmal) which causes the tenant to become a nightmare.

Again, I would reiterate, if the referencing isn't done properly, or the guarantor protection if required, isn't correctly drawn up, then an agent should be morally obligated to repay the fee.
              If I am offering advice, I am doing so purely because I think I know the answer and would like to help, but... and its a big but, I do occasionally get things wrong, as anyone does.

So please don't sue.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
                So by your own admission, you were trying to be controversial. Strange idea of neutrality it is that you have.

We never heard back from you on your very interesting ideas about CGT, by the way.
                No, they were designed to touch on the heart of the matter. Controversy does not negate neutrality. A neutral party may well say something which causes controversy in his audience, but that statement does not make him biased. If it did no judge could ever give any sort of ruling.

On the CGT....as far as I remember I think the poster needed specific advice (from someone with a full set of figures in front of them) as he was non resident, had an interest only mortgage, and was making a loss on the rental income. :-)
                The information contained within my posts are not intended as a substitute for paid legal advice and is supplied without any form of warranty or guarantee. The reader agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the author against any and all liability, damage, cost or claim (including but not limited to 3rd party claims) arising in whole or part from this post or its contents.

Comment

MTG,

Your replies made me smile, I thank you deeply. The very fact that you took so much time and trouble to respond means that you must feel deeply about them, which is good, its shows that my comments did strike at the heart of the matter, which is what they were designed to do.
                  Don't get excited...and please don't flatter yourself that you made a powerful and important impression (sadly, you didn't. All this stuff has been chewed over before, many times, and there will never be general agreement on it). Your comments didn't really strike at the heart of anything and I don't expect mine did either. To be honest, I couldn't care less about letting agents, since I don't use them. I was just being devil's advocate, really; my observations were based partly on the experiences of my student children and my friends who have had to deal with them, and partly on the laments which flood onto this forum on a daily basis about the incompetence and stupidity of some LAs. I accept that some LAs are perfectly competent, it's just that they seem to be in a minority. It's always good to see the world through the eyes of a different species, though.
                  Also, by your logic it would seem that "if I take the LL side I am neutral, but if I do not then I am biased", that is SO FUNNY - LOL
                  No, logically, if you are on the LLs 'side' (as I suppose I am), then you are no more or less neutral than someone who takes the LA's 'side' But I am not the ones claiming to be neutral - you are
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I think its fair to say mind, that you aren't ever going to see a post on this forum about landlords or agents who are doing things really well, and are fantastic.

Judging any professionals ability (LL or LA) based on forums is innately flawed in that almost always only ever see the worst side of things, not the positive.

So please don't sue.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
                      premium rate numbers (0870).
                      No. 0870 is not a premium rate code. Only those beginning 09 (used to be 0898) are.
                      0870 is a national call rate code applying no matter where the caller is in relation to the callee (?)
                      Problem: some telecom providers offer lower-than-national rates (or even free service) for some/all calls- so such a caller overpays if using 0870.

Refer to the 'saynoto0870' website: http://www.saynoto0870.com
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Xtacy4U View Post
                        Hi all,

Just a quick question, who's a Letting Agent on this forum?
                        Bet you're glad you asked now aren't you? Pistols at Dawn between MTG & VeryArtySteve!

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
                        Im one and proud of it! (dont keel over in shock now!!).

Being doing my job for a long time now, relish the challanges (good and bad), its a steep learning curve.

Not all LA are crap , the same as not all solicitors, estate agents, teachers are bad....
                        Now the good LAs don't mind admiting it - after all, a quick review of Poppy35s posts will show the kind of person she is and what her business ethics are!

Comment

Don't get excited...and please don't flatter yourself that you made a powerful and important impression (sadly, you didn't. All this stuff has been chewed over before, many times, and there will never be general agreement on it). Your comments didn't really strike at the heart of anything They seem to have made a "powerful and important impression" upon you as your long replies would seem to evidence and I don't expect mine did either. To be honest, I couldn't care less about letting agents so why bother doing such a long critique of my post if you are not exercised by the subject , since I don't use them. I was just being devil's advocate, really; my observations were based partly on the experiences of my student children and my friends who have had to deal with them, and partly on the laments which flood onto this forum on a daily basis about the incompetence and stupidity of some LAs. I accept that some LAs are perfectly competent, it's just that they seem to be in a minority. It's always good to see the world through the eyes of a different species, though.No, logically, if you are on the LLs 'side' (as I suppose I am), then you are no more or less neutral than someone who takes the LA's 'side' But I am not the ones claiming to be neutral - you are Correct, but both would be LESS neutral than someone who took neither side, which is my position (I am not an LA nor a LL) and that is why I AM neutral despite protests there may be to the contrary :-)
                          MTG, I don't think I need to flatter myself, the high quality of your replies have flattered me enough already :-)

Comment

[I]fact
                            A FACT is simply one person's perception of a given situation.....
                            Mrs Jones
                            I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

'very arty steve' : It would be helpful if you would be a bit more arty and learned to use the quote function

They seem to have made a "powerful and important impression" upon you as your long replies would seem to evidence...Don't be impressed by long replies. It is often easier to write a long answer than a short one.

Correct, but both would be LESS neutral than someone who took neither side, which is my position (I am not an LA nor a LL) and that is why I AM neutral despite protests there may be to the contrary :-)'Less neutral' does not make sense. You are either neutral, or you are biased (to a greater or lesser degree). Bias is gradable; neutrality is not.

It is in any case academic, since an exchange of anecdotes and subjective impressions about letting agents on a forum like this can never be objective.
                              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
                                A FACT is simply one person's perception of a given situation.....
                                Nope, one persons perception is an opinion, and your signature makes this point quite well. Why post a one line comment that is in direct conflict with your own signature?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Brexit
                                  craig2222
                                  I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                                  30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  islandgirl
                                  As for fruit pickers, I know strawberry farmers who bring seasonal workers from non-Eu countries every year (eg Russia etc) and have queues of people wanting to work the picking season here...no unpicked fruit there....
                                  21-10-2019, 23:08 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  Kape65
                                  "EU immigration has continued to fall since 2016 and is at its lowest level since 2013. This is mainly because of a fall in immigration for work, which is now less than half the level it was at its peak in the year ending June 2016." Office for National Statistics

That's a major...
                                  21-10-2019, 19:30 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  theartfullodger
                                  "The Times" today...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/n...away-ctsdvtbsw...
                                  21-10-2019, 18:47 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  ram
                                  You get taken to court in U.K.for calling some one a Nazi

"May" signed the pact, and not one of the U.K. citizens were asked if they want to financially support 3rd world unskilled people, apart from having no where to put them, and our homeless are still homeless.
                                  If they...
                                  21-10-2019, 18:31 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  theartfullodger
                                  Just get remain done...
                                  21-10-2019, 18:20 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  islandgirl
                                  "Although you don't like it, is a fact that the 2016 referendum, like almost all referendums in the UK, was advisory." When you are in a hole.....
                                  21-10-2019, 18:14 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  Macromia
                                  The countries being referred to as 'their world countries' here are NOT countries in the EU, and the UN is NOT the EU.

Regardless of whether or not Theresa May was right to sign the UK up to this pact - it has nothing at all to do with the EU.

This is a rant that has no relevance...
                                  21-10-2019, 17:20 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  Macromia
                                  This pretty much hits the nail on the head.
                                  I think that, if polls of Conservative party members hadn't shown that most members think that holding another referendum, or not going ahead with Brexit, would pretty much mean the end of the Conservative party, and that members would apparently prefer...
                                  21-10-2019, 17:04 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  Macromia
                                  Although you don't like it, is a fact that the 2016 referendum, like almost all referendums in the UK, was advisory.
                                  If the referendum hadn't been advisory, there would not still be any argument as to whether or not politicians should be supporting leaving the EU on the basis of the result of...
                                  21-10-2019, 16:41 PM
                                Working...
                                X