How to get well quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get well quickly

The same scenario is repeated in many [NB: not all!] cases of people released early from prison on health grounds.

BEFORE RELEASE: solicitor/barrister tugs at Court's heartstrings. "My imprisoned client is so ill/will die within next two days. Please have mercy!"

AFTER RELEASE: newly-released person is miraculously restored to perfect health. Becomes media celebrity. Sells story to tabloid rag. Snooks are cocked at HMG/Prison Authorities. Victims of that person feel, at best, a bit Put Out!

Exemplars: Gerald Ronson. Ronnie Biggs. Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi (I assume).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi (I assume).
    I rarely wish ill upon another person, in this case I'll make an exception. I hope he rots in hell, because he should have rotted in jail.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

I understand the feelings behind this thread, but in the case of Ali al-Megrahi, there is a strong body of opinion (including people in Lockerbie) who do not believe that he was the perpetrator and that he was simply used as a "fall guy". I don't suppose we will ever know the truth.

I think the real classic was Ernest Saunders (involved in the Guinness share fraud) who made a spectacular recovery from death's door.......
      Mrs Jones
      I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
        I understand the feelings behind this thread, but in the case of Ali al-Megrahi, there is a strong body of opinion (including people in Lockerbie) who do not believe that he was the perpetrator
        I assume the judges heard enough evidence to convince them at his trial, I will stick to their judgment until he wins an appeal.

Comment

I think the real classic was Ernest Saunders (involved in the Guinness share fraud) who made a spectacular recovery from death's door.
          Yes. I think that this also happened recently to some high-profile fraudster in the USA. So why is it mainly American objectors baying for the Libyan's blood? It's a most unedifying spectacle (whether or not the objectors had relatives who died on the aeroplane).
          But jta is right too: found guilty means guilty.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

But jta is right too: found guilty means guilty.
            Of course - like the Birmingham Six; Guildford four; Maguire Seven; Steven Downing; Timothy Evans etc. etc......

I was going to post a link to an article here, but there are lots of articles, with different viewpoints and each person has to make their own mind up on subjects such as this.

The Americans would probably have executed him if they had got hold of him so this situation would not have arisen!

Personally, I am glad we no longer have the death penalty in this country. But that is another contentious subject
            Mrs Jones

Comment

Each person has to make their own mind up on subjects such as this.
              I do not agree. The judicial system of every country treats a Court's findings of guilty as definitive of guilt, subject to appeal.

Comment

I do not agree. The judicial system of every country treats a Court's findings of guilty as definitive of guilt, subject to appeal.
                I understand that you would look at things from a legal viewpoint, and legally, yes that is the case, but individual people are entitled to their opinion, and may not agree with such verdicts - that was what I meant about "making up their own minds".
                Mrs Jones

Comment

Yes, but whyever do you think that this supposed freedom to make-up one's own mind is of any significance to anyone else at all?
                  Either you accept Courts' decisions or you prefer anarchy. That's the topic upon which to make-up your own mind!
                  Now, you said "each person has to make their own mind up on subjects such as this. (my underlining) Please explain the 'has to'!

Comment

I understand that you would look at things from a legal viewpoint,.
                    It's not just Jeffrey's view though is it, we have the courts to enforce our judicial system, ultimately all their decisions have to be what we, as a society, decide.
                    Individuals may profess to 'know' something the court doesn't, that's how conspiracy theories start.
                    This guy had already lost one appeal, he had another one pending. I know we make jokes about judges here all the time, but they are usually pretty wise and would not convict someone for the convenience of the guvmint.

Comment

UK judges are rather more at liberty to decide cases, free of Governmental tampering, than in 90% of the world! Who emigrates to the 10%?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X