Us and Them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Us and Them?

A member named Homeless called a worried landlord a "cretin" because he feared he was going to lose money and had been misled about the status of a tenant on DSS.He also seems to think some "Human Rights Act" exists which forces a landlord to let someone live rent free just because they are unemployed.It would take too long to give my and my partners background.In the past 12 years we have acquired a modest portfolio of 5 properties.These have been the results of our hard work,self-respect and sacrifices.We do not live high on th hog,we try to put something back into society,and we have always tried to be decent landlords.Unfortunately the saying"No good turn goes unpunished" seems to apply to landlords.You think you are being a kind human being,cutting someone some slack to get their lives sorted.The tenant thinks you are a mug to be exploited even more.We never take DSS tenants,but twice it has turned out that way.In both cases they were healthy able- bodied people,maybe not the brightest,but capable of being employed.Both had actually given up jobs because they wanted their "independance".This appeared to take the form of sitting on their arses for the rest of their lives living off the state.I am sure we are typical of many of the members here,not fat cats looking to rip off the tenants.I have probably been caused more worry and sleepless nights over the years by bad tenants than any other issues.Of course we are blessed,and are deeply grateful for what we have,but please Homeless,get that stupid chip off your shoulder.If it is any consolation to you,the flats rental have never shown much profit after all the costs and losses,and now the values have plumeted we don't even have the capital appreciation to console ourselves with.

No offense intended but for one your post is very hard to read because its all one large sentence.

Two I would say from your post you have the typical idea that someone on benefits is lazy if they can work and you are better since you "put something back" the system isnt as simple as that, would you work for far less money than you currently struggle on just for a moral victory when you couldnt even eat or pay bills correctly, if anything the working system needs reformed since its often in many areas only part time jobs available, short term and minimum wage and then you are taxed as well and have to pay expenses so its bad for peoples mental health.

I'm not saying people shouldnt work but it shouldnt be as simple as "you can work therefore you should" better equality needs to be there in the workplace such as many supermarkets or shops in towns I visit almost always hiring mainly female staff(and on the flip side most electronic places hire mainly male staff but at least they have some female staff not the case in other shops)

Comment

bruised landlord: what is your question, please, or did you just want to rant?
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

but it shouldnt be as simple as "you can work therefore you should"
        Errr....I kind of think it does, unless I've misunderstood you. If you are able to work you should. Just because you can't get the job you want for the money you want you should still work rather than not and expect me to support you.

Comment

Originally posted by fthl View Post
          Errr....I kind of think it does, unless I've misunderstood you. If you are able to work you should. Just because you can't get the job you want for the money you want you should still work rather than not and expect me to support you.
          And who says you will? how do you know me/the person who is on benefits wasnt working for years and then claimed benefit for a few years they have still paid taxes.

I am talking about the sort of idea that if you can stand up, walk about and use your hands sort of benefit claimants if they could would why dont they, as have even heard arguments in the past saying someone in a wheelchair can work in a call centre or something so they shouldnt get benefits, or someone with mental health issues(be it as simple as bad depression) they should work since they are "physcially" able, and similar to my wheelchair story if you can sit in a chair in front of a pc then you can work, if you can cook food why arent you a chef.

Trust me I have heard all sorts of things like that before basically people can do ANY sort of work therefore they should.

I believe things arent that simple and a mental capacity comes into it, there needs to be better training available and incentives to work not stopping incentives such as a few years back I wanted to work part time only around 6 hours a week and the jobcentre when signing on let you keep the first £5 and kept the rest in a fund up to a maximum of £1000 then decided one day that wouldnt work and stopped it which actually at the time made me sign on longer since I planned to use that cash to pay a deposit for a flat to get me out of the area to a area with loads of jobs instead of being stuck with a town with a very small population where they have thousands unemployed but upon checking local jobs in jobcentre one day they had around a dozen jobs in the local area all part time and half needed driving licenses and the rest were comission only. hardly an incentive when more local firms closed every day is it! Now these thousands of people could work but were unable to find work.

As a question do you think many students should work as many just want their grants and loans and have no intention of passing a course and they are tax exempt, are they not worse than a benefit claimant even if they do work since they do not pay tax.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            bruised landlord: what is your question, please, or did you just want to rant?
            I think he's just trolling for Agent46 to wade in!

Comment

Originally posted by rockedboat View Post
              No offense intended but for one your post is very hard to read because its all one large sentence.
              I believe things arent that simple and a mental capacity comes into it, there needs to be better training available and incentives to work not stopping incentives such as a few years back I wanted to work part time only around 6 hours a week and the jobcentre when signing on let you keep the first £5 and kept the rest in a fund up to a maximum of £1000 then decided one day that wouldnt work and stopped it which actually at the time made me sign on longer since I planned to use that cash to pay a deposit for a flat to get me out of the area to a area with loads of jobs instead of being stuck with a town with a very small population where they have thousands unemployed but upon checking local jobs in jobcentre one day they had around a dozen jobs in the local area all part time and half needed driving licenses and the rest were comission only.
              No offense intended, but, er, 'pot, kettle, black'?

Comment

Aw shucks,you got me there.I admit it,I just wanted to have a rant.Sooo sorry if I have broken some rules.According to my dictionary a forum is,(apart from a place for business to be transacted and justice dispensed)a place for regular meeting,serving as a medium for debate.Not that I want to be pedantic of course-I'll leave that to you!

Comment

Originally posted by bruised landlord View Post
                  Aw shucks,you got me there.I admit it,I just wanted to have a rant.Sooo sorry if I have broken some rules.
                  No, ranting is absolutely fine - provided you don't mind being ranted back at...

Comment

Originally posted by bruised landlord View Post
                    Aw shucks,you got me there.I admit it,I just wanted to have a rant.Sooo sorry if I have broken some rules.According to my dictionary a forum is,(apart from a place for business to be transacted and justice dispensed)a place for regular meeting,serving as a medium for debate.Not that I want to be pedantic of course-I'll leave that to you!
                    Don't worry, you haven't broken any rules!

I think reb was just highighting the irony in the way you criticised someone else's post for being inadequately punctuated, only to produce a chunk of text yourself which would have got James Joyce quite excited.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Some forum are having issues with then new IE8.. it maybe that paragraphs were entered but did not appear due to the delightful Microsoft cock ups!
                      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by reb223 View Post
                        No offense intended, but, er, 'pot, kettle, black'?
                        I had a lot of spacing between my paragraphs and didnt stop every few seconds with commas and full stops and it was all about 1 thing not splintered into many things.

Comment

I had a lot of spacing between my paragraphs and didnt stop every few seconds with commas and full stops and it was all about 1 thing not splintered into many things.
                          That's the most ingenious defence I've heard for a long time for not punctuating sentences!

However, it would be unwise to rely on it in situations where your meaning needs to be easily grasped.
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Rocked boat, consider these two sentences.

The inspector said the teacher was useless.

The inspector, said the teacher, was useless.

Commas, full stops and apostrophes are important if you want to be understood.
                            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

I did not criticise anyone's punctuation-a member said my posting was hard to read because it was just one long sentence.I think he must have meant to say"one long paragraph",a sentence usually ends with a full stop.Oh no,there I go again-more pedantry.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X