Dealing with sexual orientation: prospective T is gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a very sensible and sensitive answer, I've just been out to a friend's house for a paella, washed down with copious quantities of Johnnie Walker so this post may make no sense at all. I think my prejudices arise from the fact that when I was young homosexuality was on a par with paedophilia, of course I know better now but it does not change the gut feeling. LC, I apologise if I offend but it's surely better to tell it as it is than pretend to pay lip service to the prevailing opinions. My dad was what's known as a man's man, he certainly had no truck with any 'deviants', and taught me to think the same way.
    Whether or not there is a gene that defines sexuality, I will have to leave to cleverer people than I, it is a definite possibility but I don't know the answer.

I do think it's sad that gay's should have to practice a form of deception in order to fit into society, although many of them are extremely vocal these are a minority rather than the majority of gays.

Is there a benefit from having gays around? Well, gays tend to be quite artistic, there are a disproportionate number in the theatrical world and other entertainment professions, that's a benefit, at least as far as I'm concerned.

Well balanced life? Yes. There's no reason a gay should not have a well balanced life, his/her sexual preferences need not impinge on the everyday business of living, it's only when an (unbalanced) pass is made to someone that has strong feelings that it would cause problems. Most gays and straights understand this. Gays have the added problem of identifying persons with the same 'bent' as themselves. Hetero's don't tend to worry about this.

I'm rambling, I'm going to bed. g'night.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

LC you quote 2% as eligible for mensa and 4% as gays ...well that kinda auto suggests some kind of elitism and desirabilty?

So just let me ask how many are up for the role of honour of kiddie molestation ...??? 0.5%, 1 %, 1.5% doeS that make your 4% more or less attractive ?

As for mensans flaunting their membership...you are deluded ..most actively denounce membership & steer sharply away from promoting the fact....I can say this with utmost conviction and confidence as i am a member, and know many members of this organisation.

To re-inforce the point on a more mundane level ...i have an indoor swimming pool, which you willl appreciate ---is not the norm, I also have an extremely "above average" income which again --is not the norm, i work 12 hrs a day 7 days a week ---not the norm, FOR ALL of these reasons i find that it is far "easier " not to discuss or even mention them ....from experience this invites contempt, alientation, fear, aggression, cofrontation and many other undesirable conditions of mind.

For as long as you have a hole in your axxx, being gay will not be the "Norm" (NORM ...defined as wot most people are used to, and accept as "normal" due to their background, upbringing, morals (derived from prev!) and social surroundings.

With the above in mind there will always be a sector(s) of society which cannot and will not ever relate to you (or me !) ...indeed anything outside their "comfort zone".

Swingers, lesbians, alcoholics, junkies, and umpteen other "groups" will always remain unacceptable, un-natural, strange, twisted , "ill" & "sick" even to them(them being the "normal people" ).

This is, and always will be, statisically correct. No amount of education, cajoling or otherwise will change this. We all realise this.
      The "pc " environment will help on a surface level....but is only skin deep as , interestingly we have seen right here on this thread!
      My personal opinon is "live & let live " .

There is no point in comparing gays with straights , anymore than attempting to compare nuns with swingers ...except to point out that the human race has many diverse "approaches/attitudes/paths" to fulfillment and happiness.

Being gay, IMHO is certainly not an affliction or diseaese, simply an alternative (to the "norm" ) way of achieiving fulfilment and happiness, in this short time that we spend on mother earth...does it do anyone any harm ..of course not..how could it ?

But to demand acceptance of being the "norm"(&therefore "normal") is statisically impossible ..by definition ...period.

I do not set out to cause offence and sincerely hope i havent done so!
      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
      W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
        Clearly there are differences between straights and gays. However, both are human and have more in common than divides them. The suggestion that "normality" is to be equated with the greater in number is not a proposition I can accept. It is as the late Derek Jarman said: heterosexuality is not normal, just common.

This issue is far less complex that you wish to make it out or skewing with your lengthy postings full of things that have almost or zero bearing on the facts.

Homosexuality cannot ever be considered be a normal human state, since people who have this preference will not, by definition, choose to procreate and nature makes, in the main, offspring who can procreate, to ensure survival of the species. This is clearly the case in almost all living things.
        If nature made predominately people with homosexual preferences, none of us would be here right now.

I don't see why this plain and simple is eluding so many of you.

Why people are born with homosexual preferences (which I believe they are) is an interesting subject to be honest, but personally, I have not and never will seek to treat or think of someone in any way differently because of this sexual preference, essentially because it does not make any difference to me in any shape or form in my normal day to day life.

The OP raised the issue of other people's views, which they do not know about, and which views could become a problem of some kind in the context of a shared living environment.
        This is a valid concern in my view.

Whether such a problem would be legal or not, right or not, it could still be a problem that the LL may need to address in some way or t'other.

The interesting observation for me is why the potential tenant voluntarily informed the OP that they were gay.

Comment

Just had this one in :

"Domestic Goddess looking for head spce "

"My names (currently) Peter, am a trans gendered person. Am looking for a homely home, to relax, get some head space, start to enjoy life again as the woman that I am. Am not a freak, which I think you will find out if you take the moment to chat.
          I treat others as I expect to be treated, privacy and property."

Would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this one re: taking on as T to put in a house share of 7 other 20-30 yrs olds. It is a mixed house at the moment, will this truly make it a "Mixed" household ?
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

What on earth is 'head space' when it's at home? Can this person speak English or not?
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Perhaps he/she is extremely tall ?
              W.Churchill

Comment

Try Headspacebook.com?
                Here are 260 anagrams of 'head space': http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram...ace&t=1000&a=n
                I like "Des Apache", "Had escape", and- appositely- "Chap eased."
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Odd fact: the next-to-oldest thread on 'Take A Break' was to do with transvestism and the difficulties caused by unexpectedly non-standard personal behaviour. So some things don't change; as we say oop 'ere, "there's nowt so -er- queer as folk".
                  See http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...read.php?t=700

Comment

Can't believe I have made it to the end of this thread!

Poor old HairyLandlord - all he wanted to know was, since his prospective tenant had mentioned he was gay, whether he should tell the other tenants in case it might be an issue with them (which was probably the reason the tenant told him in the first place).

Nothing in HL's original posting could be taken to suggest he was in the slightest bit homophobic!

So what happens? The thread becomes a huge discussion on the subject of homosexuality and heterosexuality. Interesting.

My response? Do what you would do for any tenant and ignore the guy's sexual orientation - unless he himself asks you to do otherwise.
                    Mrs Jones
                    I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Jones View Post
                      My response? Do what you would do for any tenant and ignore the guy's sexual orientation - unless he himself asks you to do otherwise.
                      Harumph! deep voice, do you mean like in making a pass?
                      I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X