Dealing with sexual orientation: prospective T is gay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dealing with sexual orientation: prospective T is gay

I have a student who would like to take a room in a shared house near the uni.
    They have voluntarily told me they are gay while telling me some other details.

While someone's sexual orientation/preferences don't make any difference to me, I cannot know how the other students in the house feel about this and so if it were to comes up, what to say/do about it, if indeed anything at all.

Strangely I've not had to consider this before.

Also, what is the situation with future tenants?
    Am I obliged to say anything before they sign a tenancy agreement?
    What should I say/do if I am asked blatantly if anyone in the home is gay before that person moves in or if they learn this fact about a tenant after moving in?

I just want to do the right thing, legally and respectfully.

Firstly this is a UK site - in fact, generally, an England and Wales site.

Secondly, so what?! I think you'll find young people are far more accepting of this than you appear to be.

Comment

It's against the law to discriminate (including in the provision of housing) on grounds of someones sexual orientation. Your first obligation is therefore to consider the application on its own merits, not to discriminate in that consideration, and the potential concerns of others are not your problem.
      The comments given here are provided free of charge and inevitably without sight or knowledge of the full facts and are thus given in good faith but without liability and should not be relied upon as formal legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Telometer View Post
        Firstly this is a UK site - in fact, generally, an England and Wales site.

Secondly, so what?! I think you'll find young people are far more accepting of this than you appear to be.
        There was no point in you wasting time posting a worthless, ill-judged and impulsive "answer".

People are permitted to travel to other countries, legally, in case you hadn't realised.

Comment

True, but LZ deals almost exclusively with property law and only E&W- so there was not a great deal of point in you posing your question here. Sorry.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            True, but LZ deals almost exclusively with property law and only E&W- so there was not a great deal of point in you posing your question here. Sorry.
            The question is about property law is it not?
            And I just happen to be on holiday!

Comment

Originally posted by HairyLandlord View Post
              There was no point in you wasting time posting a worthless, ill-judged and impulsive "answer".

People are permitted to travel to other countries, legally, in case you hadn't realised.
              Indeed, you state your location as the USA. I was only trying to be helpful, as it is most unlikely that the law in the UK is likely to be the same as the law in the USA. Even if, coincidentally, they happen to be the same, then it's still not much use in being told what it is over here, is it now?

There is no point posting your question in a jurisdiction where you are not based, for it becomes worthless and ill-judged. Presumably impulsive too, for if you had undertaken your research first.

Keep your homophobia to yourself, thank you.

Comment

Probably worth asking whether the prop being rented is in E/W or not maybe !??
                If so Q is valid.
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

It appears OP is saying he is temporarily in the USA on holiday and his question does relate to property here...

Comment

Bearing in mind the guy has over 30 posts on the site (mainly about shared properties) and a number of other people have their "location" as outside E & W (Valencia for example) I thought I was quite safe giving my original answer on the presumption that the property was in E & W even if the LL was not necessarily a permananemt resident.
                    The comments given here are provided free of charge and inevitably without sight or knowledge of the full facts and are thus given in good faith but without liability and should not be relied upon as formal legal advice.

Comment

Indeed, you state your location as the USA. I was only trying to be helpful, as it is most unlikely that the law in the UK is likely to be the same as the law in the USA. Even if, coincidentally, they happen to be the same, then it's still not much use in being told what it is over here, is it now?

There is no point posting your question in a jurisdiction where you are not based, for it becomes worthless and ill-judged. Presumably impulsive too, for if you had undertaken your research first.
                      I don't know where ther USA thing came from - must have been an input error when I registered.
                      Now corrected.

Also, it is hard to accept or believe that you are being "helpful" when you are throwing nonsense and unfounded accusations in another breath.

Keep your homophobia to yourself, thank you.
                      If I was homophobic I would not be posting a question about considering a gay person - that little fact seems to have escaped your ill considered approach to your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by HairyLandlord View Post

Also, what is the situation with future tenants?
                        Am I obliged to say anything before they sign a tenancy agreement?
                        What should I say/do if I am asked blatantly if anyone in the home is gay before that person moves in or if they learn this fact about a tenant after moving in?

I just want to do the right thing, legally and respectfully.
                        I do not know the legal answers to these questions but you are welcome to my man in the street ramblings. I don't think you need to say anything to the existing tenants. If one of them has a problem with it that's their problem. They may well decide that they wish to seek alternative accomodation but there is nothing you can do about that. Incidentally, it is possible that one or more of your other house sharers is gay.

In the unlikely event that a potential tenant specifically raises the question before taking the let, I think you should answer that honestly to the best of your knowledge. If it makes that much of a difference to the enquirer, better they know now, rather than putting you through the hassle of trying to find someone new in a few weeks.

Comment

Its interesting that the potential tenant thought it was relevant that they inform the OP of their sexual orientation in the first place.
                          All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

maybe they were hoping for a dinner invite?

Comment

Over the years i have had several gay Tenants in house shares (not in the literal sense you understand !)

I see no reason to bring this to anyone's attention.
                              A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                              W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X