Completely Useless Objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely Useless Objects

It is my perception that the world is filling up with useless objects. Apart from miniature breeds of dog and most plastic packaging, this is the one which upsets me most:

What are yours?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    It is my perception that the world is filling up with useless objects. Apart from miniature breeds of dog and most plastic packaging, this is the one which upsets me most:

What are yours?

This would appear to be a very useful warning sign found at the side of the road - prepare to swerve !
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Comment

To assign to every object a degree of usefulness is to take a homocentric view of the world. We should allow objects to exist in the full richness of their being-in-itself - even if they do not have the potential for transcendence.

Comment

We can forgive a man for making a useful thing so long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
          This would appear to be a very useful warning sign found at the side of the road - prepare to swerve !

No, it is not. I have thought about this for a long time. It is useless sign because:

(i) there is very little, if anything, you can do about it if a boulder detaches itself from a cliff and falls on your vehicle.
          (ii) you should, when driving, always be in a state of readiness to react to any unexpected danger, e.g. a child running out, a farm animal on the road, something blocking the road round the next bend. However, being in a heightened state of readiness to swerve, as you suggest (on seeing this roadsign), is futile. If a boulder were falling on you from above, you would be very unlikely to know about it until it was too late to swerve. Even if you did have time, you would probably end up in the path of an oncoming vehicle anway, endangering other people's lives as well as your own.
          (iii)If cliffs/hillsides next to roads are likely to shed boulders, it could be argued something should be done to secure them - or re-route the road. If (as I suspect is the case) one boulder has fallen off in the last 50 years, the sign is definitely redundant.

It's a thoroughly illogical sign.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
            To assign to every object a degree of usefulness is to take a homocentric view of the world. We should allow objects to exist in the full richness of their being-in-itself - even if they do not have the potential for transcendence.
            You wouldn't say that if you had seen the contents of my garage.

Comment

We can forgive a man for making a useful thing so long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

Oscar Wilde
              How can one disagree with Oscar? But non-functional objects which are nonetheless admired (by their creators, if by no-one else), still have a purpose. (As long as they don't take up too much room).

I'm talking about things which are neither known to be useful, nor believed to be beautiful, by anyone.

Comment

It's a thoroughly illogical sign.
                The purpose of the sign is clear: if you get hit by a boulder don't come running to us.

Comment

The purpose of the sign is clear: if you get hit by a boulder don't come running to us.

You wouldn't be able to. You'd be squashed. So it's still illogical.

Comment

There are certain times of the week when you descend into utter obtuseness.
                    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
                      There are certain times of the week when you descend into utter obtuseness.
                      Flattery will get you nowhere with this man!

Comment

You'd be squashed.
                        You could just receive a glancing blow.

Comment

Or it could miss you altogether because in your heightened state of awareness you swerved in time.
                          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                          W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                            Or it could miss you altogether because in your heightened state of awareness you swerved in time.
                            Any heightened state of awareness I may have is entirely internal. The world and I do not interact in a completely satisfactory manner. This is why I do not drive or ride a bike.

Comment

Any heightened state of awareness I may have is entirely internal.
                              Then you should stop inhaling!
                              I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X