Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hundreds? I found 4944 of them: see http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram...=y&l=n&q=n&k=1
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      Hundreds? I found 4944 of them
      Sometimes quality is preferable to quantity! How many grains of sand do you have in your shoes? Does it matter? Have you ever looked at a grain of sand under a microscope?

At least my post was more interesting than yours, as I took the trouble to copy out the good ones! I am forever telling my students that bald assertions without illustration or illumination will get them no marks. You have been found wanting, I'm afraid. Nul points!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Sorry- there's no sand in my shoes (only feet and socks), as Sheffield is a long way from the sea.
        Your reference to 'bald assertions' is cruel to those who are follically-challenged ['differently haired'? 'adversely dishirsuted'? 'patetic'?].
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          Sorry- there's no sand in my shoes (only feet and socks), as Sheffield is a long way from the sea.
          Your reference to 'bald assertions' is cruel to those who are follically-challenged ['differently haired'? 'adversely dishirsuted'? 'patetic'?].
          No, just bald as coots
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Ha! Coots are not bald. This is from http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings:

Coots are water birds whose heads have the appearance of baldness. This doesn't refer to the lack of feathers on the bird's head, but to their white markings. Bald has several meanings, one of which is 'streaked or marked with white'. That's the meaning here, as in pie-bald.
            The phrase is very old and is referred to in John Lydgate's Chronicle of Troy, 1430:
            "And yet he was as balde as is a coote."

Comment

Chronicle of Troy? Little news to chronicle, other than:
              a. Helen;
              b. small weights for precious metals; and
              c. a wooden horse.

No, no, not menages- that's a different root...

Comment

You're talking to yourself again!

You'll be gibbering in the corner, next (like me, by this time most days).

Comment

I have been thinking about what other members have been saying about the effect of separating LC's post starting 'I am happy to be gay' and casting it adrift out of context. I too feel it is completely inappropriate, because it gives an entirely different impact from what it had when it was posted in its original context.

I should like to request that it be rejoined at least to the 'Noachide Laws' thread to which it is closely connected.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                    I have been thinking about what other members have been saying about the effect of separating LC's post starting 'I am happy to be gay' and casting it adrift out of context. I too feel it is completely inappropriate, because it gives an entirely different impact from what it had when it was posted in its original context.

I should like to request that it be rejoined at least to the 'Noachide Laws' thread to which it is closely connected.
                    At members' request, posts 1/2 above have been copied from http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...d.php?p=136381, to show the context in which post 3 was submitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator View Post
                      At members' request, posts 1/2 above have been copied from http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...d.php?p=136381, to show the context in which post 3 was submitted.
                      Thank you for your willingness to put LC's post into context, but unfortunately what you have done so far really does not achieve that.

LC's post was a direct response, not to agent's post in particular (the one which is now #1 on this thread),and certainly not to his own #2 about engineering, but to the whole of the series of posts about the attitudes of the religious faithful to homosexuality.

For his post about being gay to retain its original resonance it needs to come at the end of the following sequence of posts from the newly-created 'The Noachide Laws' thread:

#1,5-7, 9-33 and 38-43. (Omitted posts could be included, but are off-topic).

Then, and only then, would you be doing justice to what he says and how he says it.

I should be very grateful if you would have another go at this.

Thanks,

mtg

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X