This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    Yes Agent,they really shouldn't have taken Lawcrunchers post and put it as headline (so to speak).
    I wouldn't be at all happy if I were him.

I agree with you, Izzycam. I hope LC has not had enough of it and disappeared from the forum.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      I agree with you, Izzycam. I hope LC has not had enough of it and disappeared from the forum.
      Perhaps Lawcruncher could tell LZ what title he'd like (for the thread, not on ennoblement!)
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        Compared with other forums to which I contribute, LLZ is still pretty democratic and lively, mainly because argument is not stifled at the first whisper of disagreement, and you can post more or less what you want as long as certain principles are observed...I think we have hammered out a few of those recently, haven't we.

On some forums, the minute you deviate from what the Moderator thinks is the point, or crack a joke, you get a snotty message from the Forum Heavies warning you to behave, or else. In one literature forum I use, it is strictly forbidden to pass any comments on politics after 1980!
        I used to be a regular contributor to a motorcycle forum on which the only thing that might get you a ticking off from the mods was the issuing of death threats. It was an absolutely great place. There were almost always 3 or 4 really heated arguments going on. We used to place bets by PM with each other as to how many posts it would take in a particular thread before one of the participants called the other one a c**t. These disputes would be sparked off by the most trivial of things - one especially nasty argument (which did actually result in someone being banned) arose out of a disagreement about whether it was safer to ride with one's headlights on or off during daylight hours.

That makes it sound like a chaotic bear pit with nothing worthwhile to offer apart from gladatorial entertainment, but it was far from it. No matter what sort of mechanical or riding technique advice I needed, there was always someone on hand to provide it, often within seconds of posting. And I think that's the key - precisely because it was a lively place with a lot of irrelevant yet very, very entertaining stuff going on in the background, it attracted a big 'readership' and so there was always someone logged one the site who knew the answer to the sensible questions (usually approx 100 - 300 members online at any time).

Unfortunately, the forum was bought out by a corporate entity, who, no doubt fearful of their brand identity and advertising revenue streams, soon began to impose a rather heavy-handed and somewhat stupefying editorial policy. Within 6 months, most of the regulars had jumped ship and started posting on a different forum.

I think LLZ isn't a bad place, but it does feel like it could do with some new blood as it just seems to consist of the same dozen or so regulars and a transient population of 'one night standers' who post one question and then disappear into the mist once they have the answer.
        Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Is there really enough motorcycle-based material to support a single-topic website? I live and learn.
          But I do agree that the enormous number of LZ members who join but never (or rarely) post is annoying. As at today:
          a. there are 16 110 members, past and present;
          b. of those, 4695 [29%] have never posted at all; and
          c. another 2341 [14.5%] have only ever posted once!
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
            I used to be a regular contributor to a motorcycle forum on which the only thing that might get you a ticking off from the mods was the issuing of death threats. It was an absolutely great place. There were almost always 3 or 4 really heated arguments going on. We used to place bets by PM with each other as to how many posts it would take in a particular thread before one of the participants called the other one a c**t. These disputes would be sparked off by the most trivial of things - one especially nasty argument (which did actually result in someone being banned) arose out of a disagreement about whether it was safer to ride with one's headlights on or off during daylight hours.
            haha!! Sounds like conversations round the brasier at almost every bike rally I have been to!

I was also surprised by the content of the OP, I wondered where it came from as it seemed totally out of context as I rarely read TAB... very confusing!

Oh and can you speak in plain english.... my poor sleep deprived brain cannot cope!
            GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Originally posted by justaboutsane View Post
              I was also surprised by the content of the OP, I wondered where it came from as it seemed totally out of context as I rarely read TAB.
              It seems to have sprung from post #18 on http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...958#post135958

Comment

Yes Agent,they really shouldn't have taken Lawcrunchers post and put it as headline (so to speak).
                I wouldn't be at all happy if I were him.
                Yeah, clearly LC doesn't have any issues with people knowing about his sexuality or he wouldn't have posted what he had; however it's a different thing to have a post taken out of context like this and set up as a standalone thread. TBH if I had contributed a post to a thread in a similar vein, and it had ended up as a standalone 'proclamation' to the forum about why I'm happy that I'm straight, I'd probably take umbrage.

I don't know why we now have this moratorium here on thread-drift - it's a normal fact of life in almost every other forum and newsgroup I use, and it doesn't cause any problems there.

Comment

They really shouldn't have taken Lawcruncher's post and put it as headline (so to speak).
                  What was 'Glad to be gay' is now 'Happy with how I am'. I guess that LC must have got LZ to fix it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                    I don't know why we now have this moratorium here on thread-drift - it's a normal fact of life in almost every other forum and newsgroup I use, and it doesn't cause any problems there.
                    'Moratorium'? That means only 'delay' [Latin: 'morior' = I delay].
                    I doubt that it's a delay but, instead, it's more likely to help members find what they seek! Aren't we all trying that?

Comment

I agree that stripping out a lot of banter and irrelevant sidetracking from some threads does make for easier reading most of the time, but of late it does seem to be getting a bit silly.
                      Renaming this thread "Happy how i am" does not put this thread or LC's post back into context at all.
                      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                      W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        What was 'Glad to be gay' is now 'Happy with how I am'. I guess that LC must have got LZ to fix it!
                        That seems unlikely. Bit of backpedalling by the mods, that's all. And not enough. Put the whole thread back together, seems to be the message from the multidude. Even Rodent agrees with us on this one. (Be very worried!)
                        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

'Moratorium'? That means only 'delay' [Latin: 'morior' = I delay].
                          I doubt that it's a delay but, instead, it's more likely to help members find what they seek! Aren't we all trying that?
                          You're trying, I'll grant you that

Who says it's more likely to help members find what they seek?

Arguably, it has the opposite effect, since:

(i) I'm sure many first time posters find it confusing to have their query tagged onto and possibly lost in the entrails of an old thread

(ii) contributors are seriously put off from replying to great long threads which started back in 2006 or sometime and have hundreds of posts, so the help the new posters need is not forthcoming. I must admit, if I see one of those 'tapeworm' threads, I cannot be bothered to plough through it all and sort out where the new query begins. I just skip to something clearer.

I realise that it satisfies your obsessive penchant (a function of your solicitor's training, no doubt!) for 'tidying up loose ends' and avoiding duplication, but LLZ is not a filing cabinet! It's a microcosm of the real world, which is raggy and sometimes quirky and unpredictable. The world cannot always be reduced a neat series of knowable certainties. I agree with agent that all this rationalisation (as you see it) of threads is at best, a bit 'anal'.

Comment

It's LZ that does these things, you know. The reason, I understand, is so that the large number of people who know less than you do might better locate the information that they need, so is that a problem for you? Why?

Comment

It's LZ that does these things, you know. The reason, I understand, is so that the large number of people who know less than you do might better locate the information that they need, so is that a problem for you? Why?

The merging of threads is not a 'problem' for me as such, since I am not usually the poor soul trying to work out where my question has gone, why it has suddenly re-emerged as the 196th post in someone else's long dead thread, and why nobody can be bothered to answer it! My reasons for believing it is a problem for those members, are explained in my previous post.

There are lots of contributors who are more than happy to point new posters in the right direction (by providing a link, or suggesting a search 'starter'). Anyone who is irritated or bored by the re-appearance of similar queries is under no obligation to answer them, is he? Someone else always will. Alternatively, why not just say : 'Your query is dealt with in the following thread;' [and supply the link]?

The reasons why the splitting of threads is unsatisfactory, unpopular and considered unecessarily meddlesome have also been explored in some detail already.

Comment

It's LZ that does these things, you know. The reason, I understand, is so that the large number of people who know less than you do might better locate the information that they need
                                LZ would achieve that aim a hell of a lot more effectively if it introduced a decent search engine...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X