Evolution- or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But you are accepting only pieces of evidence and arguments that support your desired answer. That's not a very scientific method, now, is it?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Evolution- or not?

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      But you are accepting only pieces of evidence and arguments that support your desired answer. That's not a very scientific method, now, is it?
      I have yet to see a creationist come up with a credible scientific argument that supports their view. When one is presented, it will be accepted and will displace the current orthodoxy (that is the nature of science).

For instance, the scientific-sounding argument you put forward (that it cannot be assumed that radio isotopes have always decayed at the same rate), appears plausible, until it is pointed out that if the Earth is only a few thousand years old, then the historical rate of isotope decay required to shoehorn one theory into the other, would have produced enough energy to melt the planet.
      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

But you are again assuming that your extrapolation holds good. It al rests on your own belief, no more or less rational than others'.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

But you are again assuming that your extrapolation holds good. It al rests on your own belief, no more or less rational than others'.
          You are incorrect. My belief is, a priori, more rational, because it is a product of reason as applied to the evidence and the scientific theories which make sense of those facts, whereas your belief is irrational (or less rational) because it is founded on faith, and wholly in conflict with the evidence and scientific theories.

Unless it can be shown that the world's scientists from Copernicus onwards have been engaged in some kind of huge confidence trick, or it can be demonstrated that the empirically verified facts fit better with some other theory, then belief in a Cosmos which is billions of years old will continue to be the rational position.
          Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Because you say so? A sad comment on self-delusion. Open your mind a little.

Comment

Because you say so? A sad comment on self-delusion. Open your mind a little.
              I'm not sure which bit of my post you are referring to. If you were referring to my statement concerning rationality, then it is not a question of self-delusion, because I was merely commenting on the meaning of the word "rational". In summary, your methods for assessing the validity of arguments relating to the age of the Earth, are, by their very nature, according to the definition of the term, irrational. Or are you now going to start rewriting the laws of linguistics as you also seek to rewrite the laws of physics?

If you are referring to the substantive points made in the final paragraph, then the "open your mind" comment is quite unbelievable, as it is your set of beliefs that require an unquestioning, intellectually incurious and rigid mindset.
              Health Warning

Comment

If we are not to rely on observation to decide these matters, then we have the question of which of the many versions of how the universe/world came into being to believe. The Bible's is not the only one - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_myths
                What is there about the Bible version that should persuade us it is valid and the others are not?

I think the Buddha made a sensible observation: "Conjecture about the origin, etc., of the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it."

Comment

It is reassuring to see reason prevail over superstition.

Apart from the fact that they tend to collapse in the face of scientific enquiry, experience suggests that narrow, literal interpretations of ancient religious texts are responsible for a lot of confusion, oppression and human unhappiness.
                  'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

The problem is not with religious texts but with human fallibility. Any religious system must allow others' different opinions to co-exist. Forced conversion is never acceptable, nor is intolerance of other systems' beliefs. Read more about the Seven Noachide Laws for a remedy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X