Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Izzycam
    replied
    Rodent, let us know how your daughter gets on with her doll. (don't take the batteries out)

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Good luck! You can always take the batteries out if it gets beyond a joke.

So, sleep-deprived for the last five years, Rodent?

That would explain some of the paranoia, drivel and wild claims...

In order to communicate effectively, one needs to speak in the same tongue as the other party

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    Yes, there's nothing like sleepless nights to put you off parenthood.....
    Didn't they used to use lack of sleep as a form of torture years ago!
    Luckily it only lasts a few years for most of us, Unless of coarse you have a son like myself who wakes 5 times a week screaming like a banshee and running around like a headless chicken sleepwalking, in this case, it just goes on forever.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    My 14 yr old is studying "child dvelopment" at school and we are due to have "the doll" for a weekend...i cant wait !
    Why she has chosen this course is beyond me, she has a 3yr old sister and an autistic 4 yr old brother, she has had as many sleepness nights as we as parents have had ! But i guess the "sole responsibilty" element will be good for her, as Daddy will ensure that she bloody well sorts out the doll as he is only just beginning to get "Nearly a full nights sleep" after nearly 5yrs!!!

Heehe ..

The Rodent
    Good luck! You can always take the batteries out if it gets beyond a joke.

So, sleep-deprived for the last five years, Rodent?

That would explain some of the paranoia, drivel and wild claims...

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    I often lie on bed and wonder if i could throw one of my 2 little darlings from the bed and out of the window far enough for them to land on the trampoline in the garden and cut out (me ) the middleman so to speak !
    (just kidding!)
    Now, that just wouldn't be any fun at all, would it? When you are three, the whole point of the game is to see how much discomfort you can inflict, in as many different areas of the body as possible, without your comatose parent reaching a sufficient level of consciousness/pain to jump up, shrieking, and eject you from the bedroom extremely grumpily. It's an art, which most small children have perfected by the age of about two and three quarters.

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    I don't know whether any of you saw the programme on BBC2 a while back "The Baby Borrowers"....it was a fascinating insight into the minds of teenagers.
    They left all the children to play house in their own apartment, then slowly introduced life changing experiences...first they had to wear a suit which gave the impression and weight of carrying a baby around, then they gave them an imitation baby that cried at the same intervals as a normal baby.
    The outcome was remarkable, all the kids without question realised it was hard work and totally unrealistic to have a child at they're age.
    Now then I wonder if this kind of senario could be replicated in schools on a smaller scale and in areas where high teenage pregnancies occur.
    For example, maybe a day or weekend course where they really can come to terms with the fact that it's not a picnic looking after children.
    In some parts of America they have used this fake baby with good results.
    I understand it could be cost prohibitive as these dolls are very exensive,but what's the choice...funding courses or paying Housing Allowance and Child benefit and social security for the next 18 years .
    My 14 yr old is studying "child dvelopment" at school and we are due to have "the doll" for a weekend...i cant wait !
    Why she has chosen this course is beyond me, she has a 3yr old sister and an autistic 4 yr old brother, she has had as many sleepness nights as we as parents have had ! But i guess the "sole responsibilty" element will be good for her, as Daddy will ensure that she bloody well sorts out the doll as he is only just beginning to get "Nearly a full nights sleep" after nearly 5yrs!!!

Heehe ..

The Rodent

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    I should like to put the record straight with regard to this popluar misconception (if you've excuse the unintended pun!)

They trample (mainly over sensitive parts of their parents' anatomy, as they lie in bed on a Sunday morning).

WHAT ? how have you managed to stop this on the other 6 days ? I NEED to know as a matter of extreme urgency!

There is nothing worse than a 3 yr olds big toe nail accross your back at 5:30am, except maybe be used as a trampoline within 2 mins of this happening, repeated on a daily basis............aaaaaaaaaaagrrrgg!

I often lie on bed and wonder if i could throw one of my 2 little darlings from the bed and out of the window far enough for them to land on the trampoline in the garden and cut out (me ) the middleman so to speak !
    (just kidding!)

The Rodent

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    and those "tiny feet" become stomping size 10s pretty quickly too....
    Don't they just. We're obviously feeding them too well, or something.

However... at least when they're size 10, they tend not to trample over your head quite as much when you're trying to snooze.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    and those "tiny feet" become stomping size 10s pretty quickly too....

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    ... little ones, with the patter of tiny feet...
    I should like to put the record straight with regard to this popluar misconception (if you've excuse the unintended pun!)

Tiny feet do not 'patter'. They clomp. They kick. They stub their toes (and tread on other people's). They thump. They drum. They bleed. They trample (mainly over sensitive parts of their parents' anatomy, as they lie in bed on a Sunday morning). They aren't supposed to sweat, but they do. They collect sand. They get sucked (because babies are bendy and can fit their feet in their mouth. Both at once, in some cases). They scratch you with their toenails, then wriggle when you attempt to trim them.

But they don't patter.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    Sorry Jeffrey, I didn't put that frown face in, (typing error).....won't be the first or last time I make a mistake,I'm sure.
    And your tenants make 'mistakes' too- little ones, with the patter of tiny feet...

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    Sorry Jeffrey, I didn't put that frown face in, (typing error).....won't be the first or last time I make a mistake,I'm sure.

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    ReJeffrey) This will play no part in stopping informal sex,
    Agreed to some extent, it's a conundrum, but surely if some can be converted from being young parents it would be worth it.
    Most of my tenants are young single parents, it's such a shame to see the poverty they live in, and sheer lack of ambition.
    In our area we have one of the highest rates of unmarried single parents claiming benefits in the whole of the uk. If I could start up an initiative and get the funding, for a course along the lines of the above post, I would willingly donate my time and effort freely, I feel that strongly about it.

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    Originally posted by PI Guy View Post
    errr on what we are discussing of course.
    Well she would probably agree with what i have said, to be honest i didnt need to have the talk with my mother, i picked up things that you see on the tele or hear in conversations and the sex education lessons at school just filled in the blanks.

Leave a comment:

• Beeber
    replied
    Originally posted by Impartial Advice View Post
    While Rodents observations on housing do regrettably account, IMHO, for some pregnancies I would also agree that lack of education/common sense accounts for far more. I work closely with many health professionals and often see that lack of self confidence and a poor level of education coupled with a lack of ambition leads to most of the teenage pregnancies.

I would say that the pregnancies are a result of a social mindset where there is often no ambition to get out of the 'Income Support cycle' and following their parents/elders example of shortsightedly 'living for the moment' in every aspect of life (including financial and we know whats happening there) and the pregnancies stem from this. I would say that pregnancy is a by product of this rather than the reason for it.
    I remember covering working-class culture on my sociology A'level (as well as living in working class culture at the time, I may add) and your observation on short-termism and antipathy to planning was supported by numerous academic studies.

Middle-class kids are in a culture that supports university and sees it as an investment whereas working-class culture can see higher education as a waste of time. Many of pals at Uni from lower social backgrounds actually disappointed their parents when they got places on degree courses!

An uneducated girl with low self-esteem can either get a minimum wage job (and in some areas, she will be lucky to manage to get a shop or factory job) that won't let her afford to become a homeowner or afford to be a private tenant OR have a baby that gives her unconditional love and gain a secure tenancy in social housing.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Global Warming - So What
    by nukecad
    Very true, in terms of the planet (never mind the Universe) we are incredibly short lived, so we just can't grasp the enormous amounts of time involved.

And it's not just going forward, we are short sighted looking back as well even when we have records*.

If you consider the...
    23-10-2021, 14:37 PM
  • Global Warming - So What
    by landlord-man
    I'll get it off my chest - I'm fed-up of all the panic surrounding Global Warming / Climate Change.

I'm more pi**ed off at the forced cost to us all - when it will mean absolutely nothing.

Climate Change is real. Believe it or not, it's been happening for hundreds of millions...
    20-10-2021, 09:51 AM
    by jpkeates
    I'd like to think I'm focused on the next 200 years or so.
    That seems to me to be a reasonable period to try and plan.

200 years ago it was 1821 and the world was a completely different place, and (ignoring the odd flukey guess) I don't think anyone then could possibly have predicted...
    23-10-2021, 12:57 PM
    by landlord-man
    And that's where I'm going to bow out on this one.

It doesn't really matter if we agree or not as none of us can change what's been decided and thankfully none of us will be around when things really go pear shaped.

It will be several hundred (thousand?) generations of your...
    23-10-2021, 11:49 AM
    by landlord-man
    IF Australia refuses to give up on mining, burning and selling coal for instance, the easiest ways for them to fall into line are (a) do not trade with them (b) let them carry on and reap what they sow.

IF the UK faces coastal flooding - address coastal flooding in the UK - heat pumps and...
    23-10-2021, 11:42 AM
    by landlord-man
    When you have 15 minutes, have a read of the link I added a few posts ago. It is certainly NOT denying the existence of Climate Change nor the need to take action.

Geologists are able to see what happened tens of millions of years ago in some detail - and when you're talking about a 100...
    23-10-2021, 11:35 AM
    by jpkeates
    But you're talking about changing the behaviour of everyone on the planet and that's going to take time.
    And the changes are already happening, so we need to take some action to delay what may be inevitable, so we can make some adjustments.

Right now there're are lots of people who...
    23-10-2021, 11:15 AM
    by landlord-man
    But that's the whole point - we should be focussing our energy and money on ADAPTING to live in these climates, because no matter how much we dislike it, the change IS going to happen.

IF the Worlds population is growing too quickly, we need to address that too.

But it's easier...
    23-10-2021, 11:05 AM
    by Macromia
    I've answered everything that you said in your last post but the post has been held for approval, I suspect because I used the scientific binomial for humans.
    I'm not going to repeat anything (hopefully a moderator will eventually approve the post), apart from suggesting that you perhaps read...
    23-10-2021, 10:58 AM
    by doobrey
    Why?

Perhaps most obviously because the timescales for natural and anthropogenic climate change are completely different.
    23-10-2021, 10:57 AM
Working...
X