Why does sex education fail so often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would say roughly 90% of my tenants are young or were young single mum's.

Comment

If you think the photos of the young lad are sad listen to the interview with him on youtube.Tap in (Alfie 13 father)

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
        I would say roughly 90% of my tenants are young or were young single mum's.
        Izzycam, do you manage social housing (i.e. council or HA houses/flats), or private rented housing? And what proportion of your single mother tenants were under 20 when they moved in?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

well i know i'm going on about it and it does not solve the issues BUT the injection would have prevented the pregnancy
          Best Regards

PI Guy

Comment

Originally posted by PI Guy View Post
            well i know i'm going on about it and it does not solve the issues BUT the injection would have prevented the pregnancy
            So would the periodic temporary disabling of the reproductive equipment of all unmarried men. Or the use of mediaeval chastity belts. Or locking all adolescent girls up in remote boarding schools until marriage.

Or forced abortions, as in China.

It doesn't mean that it's an acceptable solution to the problem, does it?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              So would the periodic temporary disabling of the reproductive equipment of all unmarried men.
              does that hurt?

No but its available and easy to carryout
              Best Regards

PI Guy

Comment

Oh good grief. He's on his perch again

Rodent, read this carefully. It is a fundamental prinicple of constructing a convincing argument: to identify one example of something does not mean that the 'something' is always the case.

Your one example may, (for example!) be "the exception which proves the rule". Or it might be anaomalous or untypical for other reasons.

The only credible way to 'prove' whether the knee-jerk, Dail Mail-inpspired propaganda you keep spewing up is true or not is to analyse the latest available statisitics on the proportion of pregant/parent under 18s who are given social housing. So far you have signally failed to do so.

The other option is to accept the observations of people like Preston who has considerable experience in the field of social housing and seems to know what he is talking about. He has already constructed a convincing case for your subjective impresison (that all schoolgirl mothers are automatically given a free flat), being wide of the mark.

Until then, please get someone to put a black cloth over your cage and give us all a break.

The very strong counter argument stretching to:

"There may be a very small number who deliberately become pregnant 'just to get a flat' but it's a bit of a myth, really."

Hmmm okay then !
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by PI Guy View Post
                  does that hurt?

No but its available and easy to carryout
                  Please clarify what it is you are referring to, in each of the clauses above (I won't call them sentences, as they are largely unpunctuated).

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                    "There may be a very small number who deliberately become pregnant 'just to get a flat' but it's a bit of a myth, really."

Hmmm okay then !
                    I'm glad we are in agreement, finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                      Becoming pregnant in fact makes:
                      a. something that was (often) flat into
                      b. something with a significant increase in convexity for the duration.
                      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        Becoming pregnant in fact makes:
                        a. something that was (often) flat into
                        b. something with a significant increase in convexity for the duration.
                        True. And once when I was pregnant, I got a flat tyre. Does that count?

Comment

True. And once when I was pregnant, I got a flat tyre. Does that count?
                          But one has to allow for inflation, surely.
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                            But one has to allow for inflation, surely.
                            Yes, one certainly did.

Followed by rapid deflation.

And we won't dwell on the tyres (generally spare ones) associated with that phenomenon. Thank heaven for breastfeeding, I say. It restores the pre-boom landscape quite magically.

Comment

In my experience as a midwife it is a combination of ignorance and wanting to seem grown up that causes teens to have sex and get pregnant.

Despite sex education being taught at schools many young girls we see have such terrible home lives and childhoods themselves it is the norm to bunk off school and miss all important classes.

As to why they do not terminate, the most common answer I have heard is they were scared to either admit they were pregnant or seek a termination. Many teens come into hospital with an array of issues (imagine Jeremy Kyle show at its worst and multiply by 10) and pregnancy is just a symptom of more sinister problems. I feel sorry for these girls, their lives are not in their control.

Comment

That's more like the reason.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X