Why does sex education fail so often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    and those "tiny feet" become stomping size 10s pretty quickly too....
    Don't they just. We're obviously feeding them too well, or something.

However... at least when they're size 10, they tend not to trample over your head quite as much when you're trying to snooze.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
      I should like to put the record straight with regard to this popluar misconception (if you've excuse the unintended pun!)

They trample (mainly over sensitive parts of their parents' anatomy, as they lie in bed on a Sunday morning).

WHAT ? how have you managed to stop this on the other 6 days ? I NEED to know as a matter of extreme urgency!

There is nothing worse than a 3 yr olds big toe nail accross your back at 5:30am, except maybe be used as a trampoline within 2 mins of this happening, repeated on a daily basis............aaaaaaaaaaagrrrgg!

I often lie on bed and wonder if i could throw one of my 2 little darlings from the bed and out of the window far enough for them to land on the trampoline in the garden and cut out (me ) the middleman so to speak !
      (just kidding!)

The Rodent
      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
      W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
        I don't know whether any of you saw the programme on BBC2 a while back "The Baby Borrowers"....it was a fascinating insight into the minds of teenagers.
        They left all the children to play house in their own apartment, then slowly introduced life changing experiences...first they had to wear a suit which gave the impression and weight of carrying a baby around, then they gave them an imitation baby that cried at the same intervals as a normal baby.
        The outcome was remarkable, all the kids without question realised it was hard work and totally unrealistic to have a child at they're age.
        Now then I wonder if this kind of senario could be replicated in schools on a smaller scale and in areas where high teenage pregnancies occur.
        For example, maybe a day or weekend course where they really can come to terms with the fact that it's not a picnic looking after children.
        In some parts of America they have used this fake baby with good results.
        I understand it could be cost prohibitive as these dolls are very exensive,but what's the choice...funding courses or paying Housing Allowance and Child benefit and social security for the next 18 years .
        My 14 yr old is studying "child dvelopment" at school and we are due to have "the doll" for a weekend...i cant wait !
        Why she has chosen this course is beyond me, she has a 3yr old sister and an autistic 4 yr old brother, she has had as many sleepness nights as we as parents have had ! But i guess the "sole responsibilty" element will be good for her, as Daddy will ensure that she bloody well sorts out the doll as he is only just beginning to get "Nearly a full nights sleep" after nearly 5yrs!!!

Heehe ..

The Rodent
        A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
        W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
          I often lie on bed and wonder if i could throw one of my 2 little darlings from the bed and out of the window far enough for them to land on the trampoline in the garden and cut out (me ) the middleman so to speak !
          (just kidding!)
          Now, that just wouldn't be any fun at all, would it? When you are three, the whole point of the game is to see how much discomfort you can inflict, in as many different areas of the body as possible, without your comatose parent reaching a sufficient level of consciousness/pain to jump up, shrieking, and eject you from the bedroom extremely grumpily. It's an art, which most small children have perfected by the age of about two and three quarters.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

My 14 yr old is studying "child dvelopment" at school and we are due to have "the doll" for a weekend...i cant wait !
            Why she has chosen this course is beyond me, she has a 3yr old sister and an autistic 4 yr old brother, she has had as many sleepness nights as we as parents have had ! But i guess the "sole responsibilty" element will be good for her, as Daddy will ensure that she bloody well sorts out the doll as he is only just beginning to get "Nearly a full nights sleep" after nearly 5yrs!!!

Heehe ..

The Rodent
            Good luck! You can always take the batteries out if it gets beyond a joke.

So, sleep-deprived for the last five years, Rodent?

That would explain some of the paranoia, drivel and wild claims...

Comment

Yes, there's nothing like sleepless nights to put you off parenthood.....
              Didn't they used to use lack of sleep as a form of torture years ago!
              Luckily it only lasts a few years for most of us, Unless of coarse you have a son like myself who wakes 5 times a week screaming like a banshee and running around like a headless chicken sleepwalking, in this case, it just goes on forever.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                Good luck! You can always take the batteries out if it gets beyond a joke.

So, sleep-deprived for the last five years, Rodent?

That would explain some of the paranoia, drivel and wild claims...

In order to communicate effectively, one needs to speak in the same tongue as the other party
                W.Churchill

Comment

Rodent, let us know how your daughter gets on with her doll. (don't take the batteries out)

Comment

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2233878.ece

Jeeeeeez....sex ed failed horribly here!
                    My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Oh my!

Thats a whole lot more future social housing requirement.
                      W.Churchill

Comment

Yes. Is it not child abuse for children to abuse one another's bodies this way?
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          Yes. Is it not child abuse for children to abuse one another's bodies this way?
                          I think it probably is; however, because they are themselves so immature (in every sense of the word except physically), I don't think that concept would mean much to them. To appreciate the awfulness of abusing others presupposes a kind of self-awareness which these two tragically young parents clearly lack.

What chance of a healthy, normal childhood with positive parenting does that baby have? Unless its grandparents play a significant role, or it is fostered or adopted by adults who are old enough and wise enough to have learnt to put their dependants first, the poor child's life chances don't bear thinking about. Once the novelty wears off, what are the chances of 13 or 15 year olds bringing up this baby adequately*?

In war-time and in societies with large numbers of orphans, children of this age do actually look after and bring up siblings largely unaided and some of them do it well, although no-one would think it an ideal situation. However, AIDS orphans and those orphaned by war were probably never this indulged in the first place - allowed to think it's OK to do what you want as soon as you want, with no regard for or understanding of, the consequences.

*I hope they prove me wrong.

Comment

Oh my god, he looks like a baby himself!
                            Just to emphasize the social housing issues...I have just got back from renting a house out to a family who have 7 children, the 5 older one's are all in rented accommodation paid for by the council, and even two of the grandchildren have housing allowance flats.
                            What chance do we have!

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
                              Oh my god, he looks like a baby himself!
                              Just to emphasize the social housing issues...I have just got back from renting a house out to a family who have 7 children, the 5 older one's are all in rented accommodation paid for by the council, and even two of the grandchildren have housing allowance flats.
                              What chance do we have!
                              Not so much of a myth then ?!

The Rodent
                              W.Churchill

Comment

Not so much of a myth then ?!

The Rodent
                                Oh good grief. He's on his perch again

Rodent, read this carefully. It is a fundamental prinicple of constructing a convincing argument: to identify one example of something does not mean that the 'something' is always the case.

Your one example may, (for example!) be "the exception which proves the rule". Or it might be anaomalous or untypical for other reasons.

The only credible way to 'prove' whether the knee-jerk, Dail Mail-inpspired propaganda you keep spewing up is true or not is to analyse the latest available statisitics on the proportion of pregant/parent under 18s who are given social housing. So far you have signally failed to do so.

The other option is to accept the observations of people like Preston who has considerable experience in the field of social housing and seems to know what he is talking about. He has already constructed a convincing case for your subjective impresison (that all schoolgirl mothers are automatically given a free flat), being wide of the mark.

Until then, please get someone to put a black cloth over your cage and give us all a break.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X