Why does sex education fail so often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Sorrel, may I ask whether you think you learnt more from your family, or from school, on this topic?
    School, my mother was a single parent for most of my up bringing. Not the easiest subject!
    My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
      Sorrell you say you are quite young, lets hear what you think are the most pressing preoccupations of today's youth, if you are the closest in age to them, then your views will probably have more validity than those of us old fogeys.
      Sorry I was out having a meaningless unprotected sex with a single mum!

To be honest i grew up that fast, well had to really, I would put myself more in touch with the generation above than my own, apart from the fact that almost every weekend i go out and binge drink!

I think its quite hard to try and judge what the most pressing preoccupations of todays youth is without actually talking to a youth. I would also say, having been travelling round the country recently that there is so many different issues important to youngsters in different parts of the country. I would say speaking to people in the cities i went to, especially Leeds/bradford and London the biggest worry was gangs/gang violence, elsewhere its different.

I think with sex education as long as all the facts are delivered to a child at a sensible age i.e 12/13/14 where they are still quite impressionable and, one would hope, still sensible that is all a school can do. Its then on the parents too make sure they have raised their children in the right manner that they arnt going to go out and have unprotected sex. We cant blames the schools for this imo.
      My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
        School, my mother was a single parent for most of my up bringing. Not the easiest subject!
        I would like to know her opinion then.
        Best Regards

PI Guy

Comment

Originally posted by PI Guy View Post
          I would like to know her opinion then.
          Her opinion on what? Unfortunately I am not in the habit of bringing my mother to work with me, so i can't ask her"

Comment

Her opinion on what? Unfortunately I am not in the habit of bringing my mother to work with me, so i can't ask her
            Wait until "Bring your mother to work" Day, then.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I don't know whether any of you saw the programme on BBC2 a while back "The Baby Borrowers"....it was a fascinating insight into the minds of teenagers.
              They left all the children to play house in their own apartment, then slowly introduced life changing experiences...first they had to wear a suit which gave the impression and weight of carrying a baby around, then they gave them an imitation baby that cried at the same intervals as a normal baby.
              The outcome was remarkable, all the kids without question realised it was hard work and totally unrealistic to have a child at they're age.
              Now then I wonder if this kind of senario could be replicated in schools on a smaller scale and in areas where high teenage pregnancies occur.
              For example, maybe a day or weekend course where they really can come to terms with the fact that it's not a picnic looking after children.
              In some parts of America they have used this fake baby with good results.
              I understand it could be cost prohibitive as these dolls are very exensive,but what's the choice...funding courses or paying Housing Allowance and Child benefit and social security for the next 18 years .

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
                all the kids without question realised it was hard work and totally unrealistic to have a child at their age.
                Maybe so, but that attitude will unfortunately play no part in decisions re informal sexual relationships.
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Her opinion on what? Unfortunately I am not in the habit of bringing my mother to work with me, so i can't ask her"
                  errr on what we are discussing of course.
                  Best Regards

PI Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Impartial Advice View Post
                    While Rodents observations on housing do regrettably account, IMHO, for some pregnancies I would also agree that lack of education/common sense accounts for far more. I work closely with many health professionals and often see that lack of self confidence and a poor level of education coupled with a lack of ambition leads to most of the teenage pregnancies.

I would say that the pregnancies are a result of a social mindset where there is often no ambition to get out of the 'Income Support cycle' and following their parents/elders example of shortsightedly 'living for the moment' in every aspect of life (including financial and we know whats happening there) and the pregnancies stem from this. I would say that pregnancy is a by product of this rather than the reason for it.
                    I remember covering working-class culture on my sociology A'level (as well as living in working class culture at the time, I may add) and your observation on short-termism and antipathy to planning was supported by numerous academic studies.

Middle-class kids are in a culture that supports university and sees it as an investment whereas working-class culture can see higher education as a waste of time. Many of pals at Uni from lower social backgrounds actually disappointed their parents when they got places on degree courses!

An uneducated girl with low self-esteem can either get a minimum wage job (and in some areas, she will be lucky to manage to get a shop or factory job) that won't let her afford to become a homeowner or afford to be a private tenant OR have a baby that gives her unconditional love and gain a secure tenancy in social housing.

Comment

Originally posted by PI Guy View Post
                      errr on what we are discussing of course.
                      Well she would probably agree with what i have said, to be honest i didnt need to have the talk with my mother, i picked up things that you see on the tele or hear in conversations and the sex education lessons at school just filled in the blanks.

Comment

ReJeffrey) This will play no part in stopping informal sex,
                        Agreed to some extent, it's a conundrum, but surely if some can be converted from being young parents it would be worth it.
                        Most of my tenants are young single parents, it's such a shame to see the poverty they live in, and sheer lack of ambition.
                        In our area we have one of the highest rates of unmarried single parents claiming benefits in the whole of the uk. If I could start up an initiative and get the funding, for a course along the lines of the above post, I would willingly donate my time and effort freely, I feel that strongly about it.

Comment

Sorry Jeffrey, I didn't put that frown face in, (typing error).....won't be the first or last time I make a mistake,I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
                            Sorry Jeffrey, I didn't put that frown face in, (typing error).....won't be the first or last time I make a mistake,I'm sure.
                            And your tenants make 'mistakes' too- little ones, with the patter of tiny feet...

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              ... little ones, with the patter of tiny feet...
                              I should like to put the record straight with regard to this popluar misconception (if you've excuse the unintended pun!)

Tiny feet do not 'patter'. They clomp. They kick. They stub their toes (and tread on other people's). They thump. They drum. They bleed. They trample (mainly over sensitive parts of their parents' anatomy, as they lie in bed on a Sunday morning). They aren't supposed to sweat, but they do. They collect sand. They get sucked (because babies are bendy and can fit their feet in their mouth. Both at once, in some cases). They scratch you with their toenails, then wriggle when you attempt to trim them.

But they don't patter.
                              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

and those "tiny feet" become stomping size 10s pretty quickly too....
                                Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X