X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agent46
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Only swans' down is worth sitting on, (but it's not worth the grief of being pursued by an angry Bewick, hell-bent on breaking your leg, in your attempt to garner it)

They are big, quite coarse, often greasy and possible itchy.
    Feathers/down, it matters not to me as I leave those sort of matters to my manservant. These artisan types know about such things. In any case, the softest feathers come from White Siberian or Hungarian Geese, but I didn't want to risk the ire of the tabloids by sourcing them from outside the UK.

(but it's not worth the grief of being pursued by an angry Bewick, hell-bent on breaking your leg,
    I always thought that:

(a) It was an arm not a leg that could be broken by a swan's wing

(b) It is, in any case, a myth.

My brother was once attacked by a swan who was after his ice-cream, but despite him being quite effeminate and only 7 years old at the time, he managed to fight it off. So it turns out that these mythical beasts are not so hard after all are they, eh, eh?

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Take care. The Crown owns all swans in the UK. Quite possibly, sitting on one could be treason...

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by agent46 View Post
    Not when one is sitting on a silk cushion stuffed with swan's feathers.
    Fraud. You clearly have never sat on a swan's feather in your life.

They are big, quite coarse, often greasy and possible itchy.

Only swans' down is worth sitting on, (but it's not worth the grief of being pursued by an angry Bewick, hell-bent on breaking your leg, in your attempt to garner it).

Stick to holofil?

Leave a comment:

• agent46
    replied
    Isn't that a bit ridgy?
    Not when one is sitting on a silk cushion stuffed with swan's feathers.

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    Very funny Jeffrey, I liked that!
    Seriously though, when your young, you don't know your a**e from your elbow half the time, so being encouraged not to sleep around and to respect your body is no such a bad thing.
    Then when their minds have matured a little they can make informed decisions on whether to sleep around or not.
    Those kids who are having sex at 13 and 14 are just babies, I bet half of them have never washed a dish let alone taken care of a baby, or discussed life in general.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    Well i must me turning into an old fuddy duddy as well, because i agree with most of the above !
    Wow - a rare moment of harmony. Let's bottle it

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Well i must me turning into an old fuddy duddy as well, because i agree with most of the above !

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    Another thing which seems to be missing these days is "Respect for your body", I was brought up partly by my grandparents who always emphasised the need for modesty.
    You don't seem to get that so much now, it's now the norm to teat sex as recreation not procreation.
    "Hello, is that Sigmund please? You'll like this one, Sig..."

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    Flippin Heck! I just read my last post and sound like a 90 year old.....
    What are you guys turning me into!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    You lot ooop north may be content to be pushed around in a barrow, but I have a couple of chaps who carry me in a wickerwork sedan chair.
    Isn't that a bit ridgy?

Leave a comment:

• agent46
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    See, we used to go in a handcart- but even that's been changed nowadays.
    You lot ooop north may be content to be pushed around in a barrow, but I have a couple of chaps who carry me in a wickerwork sedan chair.

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    Another thing which seems to be missing these days is "Respect for your body", I was brought up partly by my grandparents who always emphasised the need for modesty.
    You don't seem to get that so much now, it's now the norm to teat sex as recreation not procreation.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied

Can't we go in a handbag? There are some very nice ones in Monsoon...

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Another reason for failure of sex education is the media's constant and flagrant lasciviousness. See, for a further example, today's BBC News website item (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4703166.stm?lss) headed "Sexercise yourself into shape". It's hardly surprising that children become obsessed by it when adults exhibit no self-restraint either?
    I would echo this. Also, it seems to me that the focus in this all-pervasive sexualisation (have I just made that word up?) of life, is almost entirely selfish or self-obsessed - what the individual can get out of it, the 'me' at the centre of things, all the time. Treating others decently or even putting others first sometimes, seems to come along way down the list.

If I sound like a grumpy old woman, so be it.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    We're all going to Hell in a handbasket

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X