X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• agent46
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    That's Irish, isn't it: picks and Micks?

Or Scots and Irish - "Picts and Micks"

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    I love "Tooty Frooties", (square shaped sweets)...along with "toffee poppets", "flumps", and any other childish sweets, in fact I have had severe withdrawal symptoms since Woolworths closed (no more "pick and mix").
    That's Irish, isn't it: picks and Micks?

Leave a comment:

• Izzycam
    replied
    I love "Tooty Frooties", (square shaped sweets)...along with "toffee poppets", "flumps", and any other childish sweets, in fact I have had severe withdrawal symptoms since Woolworths closed (no more "pick and mix").

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    "Tooty Frooties" are square shaped fruit flavoured sweets.

http://www.sweetiebag.com/sweet-sear...ils.asp?id=812
    They might be in Wales, where all sorts of strange food is passed off as something else. (Birds' nests bound together with crude oil for instance, are called 'laver bread'). But in Pontefract, definitely ice-lollies I know. I was there.

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    "Tooty Frooties" are square shaped fruit flavoured sweets.

http://www.sweetiebag.com/sweet-sear...ils.asp?id=812

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by agent46 View Post
    Are you referring to the ice cream or my brother?

If the former, then "no it wasn't, but I thought they were quite tasty", if the latter, then "yes, but stop being homophobic".
    Where I come from, if you called anyone a 'tooty frooty', you woud be liable to get a smack in the chops, so I think you will have to take my word for it that it was an ice cream. (See above).

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Goose, possibly?
    I missed this!

Yes, a goose with a grudge.
    A grudgy goose.
    A groosey gunge.
    A grungy groo.

Or a turkey. (Or anything else which doesn't vote for Christmas).

Leave a comment:

• agent46
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Was it a Tooty-Frooty? They aren't very nice.

Are you referring to the ice cream or my brother?

If the former, then "no it wasn't, but I thought they were quite tasty", if the latter, then "yes, but stop being homophobic".

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Is that the Italian version of what we in the UK call a Tutti Frutti?
    No, it was the version popular in the 1970s in Pontefract, where all things remotely Italian-looking/sounding were shunned as being pretentious and dangerously flamboyant. (Plus, the shopkeeper probably could not spell).

But I have seen it in various places since then. Usually for sale along with dfmb.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    It obviously was not very excited about that particular type of ice cream. Was it a Tooty-Frooty? They aren't very nice.
    Is that the Italian version of what we in the UK call a Tutti Frutti?

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by agent46 View Post
    My brother was once attacked by a swan who was after his ice-cream, but despite him being quite effeminate and only 7 years old at the time, he managed to fight it off. So it turns out that these mythical beasts are not so hard after all are they, eh, eh?
    It obviously was not very excited about that particular type of ice cream. Was it a Tooty-Frooty? They aren't very nice.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by zetto View Post
    Apparently swan tastes very good. Used to be Christmas dinner somebody told me.
    Goose, possibly?

Leave a comment:

• zetto
    replied
    new line

I think sometimes in this country we treat children in a way that gives them no responsiblity, then suddenly we expect them to behave like adults when they get all the pressures that come with being a teenager.

For some reason, I know not why they seem to feel they really do know best, they wrote the book on it and as parents we are there to pick up the pieces. If we don't we're being bad parents, in their eyes and in other parents.

I think earlier we had more opportunities to be responsible. I know I treated my children differently to the way my parents brought me up, I thought I was being more supportive.

My eldest daughter was given all the information I thought would be necessary to protect her from trouble; socially, emotionally and practically. But she became a mother very young. I did ask her what I missed in the talk, but I think she just thought she knew better and the risks I pointed out were just me trying to stop her having a good time. I don't know how a parent or a teacher can get past that. You can't pin somebodies eyes open, they are more likely to get bloody minded.

My pet theory is there is a tendency in this country for growing lack of respect between the generations. I wish I knew why. Maybe we just don't seem necessary to one another anymore given the state is prepared to pick us up and there are few truly needy people anymore. Given the welfare state/NHS was set up for all the best reasons, it is possibly being used in this way. Depressingly if that were the case it could be that the loving family relationships we remember were due to expediency. No, that's too horrible to consider!

I asked my second daughter if she had any questions.

p.s. apparently swan tastes very good. Used to be Christmas dinner somebody told me.

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    Now Bewick just play as the only English team in the Scottish league.
    Do you mean Berwick upon Tweed?

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    I preferred it when Bewick made those big American cars. Now Bewick just play as the only English team in the Scottish league.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X