Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PI Guy
    replied
    I don't remember any sex education at my school when i was there but then i knew more than I should have at that age having "lost" it at age 13. Luckly no one got pregnant.

Leave a comment:

• Preston
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post

How do you think should sex education be delivered to children/young people? How much/what should they be told, when and by whom? And if you can remember, how useful/appropriate was the sex education you received at school or from parents/family?
    Excellent questions, wish I knew the answers. I have a seventeen year old daughter and a 12 year old son. I have a large extended family too. And one thing I do know is that children develop at very, very different rates, so a "one size fits all" approach probably won't work. Having said that, I do tend towards more information than less. I really don't buy the argument that a teacher talking to a group of young people about sex excites their interest in the practical application of the subject more than would otherwise have been the case. But you could probably comment on that one MTG?!

Preston

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Many girls do ask for - and are given - this form of contraceptive, with and without their parents' knowledge. I agree that it's better that they do so, than become pregnant at that age.

But we do seem to be failing them on a huge scale, don't we?

I'm not sure we've ever got it right. Sex education at my secondary school consisted of a one-hour session with a very embarrassed nurse telling the whole of the fifth year (150 of us 15-16 yr olds) that the best contraceptive was the word 'No'.

(A bit late, it turned out, as two girls were already pregnant, as I recall).

Leave a comment:

• PI Guy
    replied
    it's just up for discussion but yes its an option.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by PI Guy View Post
    maybe they should just get the injection at puberty. Then at least they won't get pregnant.
    What - be routinely injected [with contraceptive hormones], you mean? All adolescent girls, or just the ones who ask for the injection?

Leave a comment:

• PI Guy
    replied
    maybe they should just get the injection at puberty. Then at least they won't get pregnant.

Leave a comment:

• agent46
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Why does Britain still have one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe?
    'Cos dey is well fit, innit?

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    started a topic Why does sex education fail so often?

Why does sex education fail so often?

I know this can be a sensitive subject, and this is a serious question, although I've posted it in 'Take a Break'. I hope no-one minds.

Why does Britain still have one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in Europe? This is anecdotal, I know, but it brought the reality of the problem home to me fairly sharply the other day : my nephew (16) tells me that of his year group of 200 at school, who did their GCSEs last summer, four girls are at least six months pregnant and one of them is seeking paternity tests from five potential fathers (some older, some younger than she is). If the statistics are to be believed, between 15 and 25 more in that year group will have had terminations. I would imagine that most people will find this troubling, at least.

How do you think should sex education be delivered to children/young people? How much/what should they be told, when and by whom? And if you can remember, how useful/appropriate was the sex education you received at school or from parents/family?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X