X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    That would be 'catholic' with a small c, then would it, Rodent?
    Hmm okay let's do it with a big "C" instead shall we ?!

The Rodent

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    Warble...........On a cleeeear daaaay, I can see foreeeeevah.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by jta View Post
    Now that describes me to a 'T'
    You and I both, then. Better lay off the JD! Or does it help you see more clearly?!

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    In fact, many adults find the present baffling,
    Now that describes me to a 'T'

Leave a comment:

• jta
    replied
    Originally posted by montana View Post
    Spain might hold the religious morality on the "teenage pregnancy" issue over Blighty, but, how do they account for the 1 million unmarked graves on their land ?
    I don't see that what happened during Franco's period of dictatorship in Spain has any bearing on the question we are discussing. Another thread......maybe.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by PI Guy View Post
    What i meant was when the cervical cancer jab was announced, there was a bit of "daily mail" type hysteria that it encouraged sex in teens (cant get it if you dont have sex).

i dont see any difference between that and contraceptive jabs.
    The cervical cancer vaccine is offered to teenage girls as a preventative measure because rates of cervical cancer have rocketed.

It does not mean that girls who have the vaccine are any more or less likely to rush off and have underage sex, it just means that if they do, and if as a result, are exposed to the virus which causes one kind of cervical cancer, they are protected from it.

Sadly, the threat of cervical cancer seems even less of a deterrent to sexually active teenagers than the threat of an unwanted pregnancy; it's a bit like telling them that if they smoke, then at some point in the future they are at increased risk of developing lung cancer and/or heart disease. Many don't do 'in the future' too clearly. They are immature adults, when all's said and done. Not all adults have a perfectly developed sense of cause and effect, do they? In fact, many adults find the present baffling, so what hope is there for the poorly educated and the emotionally immature to understand the long-term consequences of their actions?

Leave a comment:

• PI Guy
    replied
    What i meant was when the cervical cancer jab was announced, there was a bit of "daily mail" type hysteria that it encouraged sex in teens (cant get it if you dont have sex).

i dont see any difference between that and contraceptive jabs.

Leave a comment:

• montana
    replied
    Spain might hold the religious morality on the "teenage pregnancy" issue over Blighty, but, how do they account for the 1 million unmarked graves on their land ?

I agree with what MTG says, *perverse* springs to mind.

l think the real debate should be on the "amount" of people getting pregnant and not so much on the age of them becoming pregnant.

l think mostly the stats are blown out of all proportions by the press.

We also have known for many yrs from "stats" that *Glasgow* is the heart disease capital of the world. l don't see Tommy & Jock ever easying off on the fry ups.

Likewise with British Teenagers.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    Guess it works like the catholic view on contrception:

You MUST NOT use contraception, unless, you want to, in which case, "that will be fine" :

The Rodent
    That would be 'catholic' with a small c, then would it, Rodent?

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    How odd that all pervasive Catholicism (as you suggest) exists side-by-side with freely available explicit presentation of sex on TV.

I thought religious observance in Spain was far less widespread today than a generation ago?

Guess it works like the catholic view on contrception:

You MUST NOT use contraception, unless, you want to, in which case, "that will be fine"

The Rodent

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by jta View Post
    here in Spain there is much more openness about sex generally, there are even tv channels on in the early hours of the morning that show full blown sex in action...

There is a much stronger religious affinity is Spain, it is almost exclusively a Catholic country, maybe that's another reason, fear of divine retribution.
    How odd that all pervasive Catholicism (as you suggest) exists side-by-side with freely available explicit presentation of sex on TV.

I thought religious observance in Spain was far less widespread today than a generation ago?

Leave a comment:

• montana
    replied
    l put our moral demise down to Brookside & Eastenders.

l'd lub to blame "home & away" and "Neighbours" ,but, l don't want to be labled an Ozzyist here by the thin minded.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
    Ah... so education CAN work!
    MTG will be so pleased

The Rodent

Sorrel, may I ask whether you think you learnt more from your family, or from school, on this topic?

Leave a comment:

• Rodent1
    replied
    Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
    As probably the last one out of all the contributors to go through school and take a sex education class, mine just gave all the facts pretty straight forward in a matter of fact kind of way. You dont use contraceptives you may catch an STI you are more than likely ending up with a sprog. Simple as. As a consequence i do not have any kids, to my knowledge.
    Ah... so education CAN work!
    MTG will be so pleased

The Rodent

Leave a comment:

• Sorrel
    replied
    As probably the last one out of all the contributors to go through school and take a sex education class, mine just gave all the facts pretty straight forward in a matter of fact kind of way. You dont use contraceptives you may catch an STI you are more than likely ending up with a sprog. Simple as. As a consequence i do not have any kids, to my knowledge.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X