Why does sex education fail so often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    Another thing which seems to be missing these days is "Respect for your body", I was brought up partly by my grandparents who always emphasised the need for modesty.
    You don't seem to get that so much now, it's now the norm to teat sex as recreation not procreation.
    "Hello, is that Sigmund please? You'll like this one, Sig..."
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Well i must me turning into an old fuddy duddy as well, because i agree with most of the above !
      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
      W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
        Well i must me turning into an old fuddy duddy as well, because i agree with most of the above !
        Wow - a rare moment of harmony. Let's bottle it
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Very funny Jeffrey, I liked that!
          Seriously though, when your young, you don't know your a**e from your elbow half the time, so being encouraged not to sleep around and to respect your body is no such a bad thing.
          Then when their minds have matured a little they can make informed decisions on whether to sleep around or not.
          Those kids who are having sex at 13 and 14 are just babies, I bet half of them have never washed a dish let alone taken care of a baby, or discussed life in general.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            Isn't that a bit ridgy?
            Not when one is sitting on a silk cushion stuffed with swan's feathers.
            Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
              Not when one is sitting on a silk cushion stuffed with swan's feathers.
              Fraud. You clearly have never sat on a swan's feather in your life.

They are big, quite coarse, often greasy and possible itchy.

Only swans' down is worth sitting on, (but it's not worth the grief of being pursued by an angry Bewick, hell-bent on breaking your leg, in your attempt to garner it).

Stick to holofil?
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Take care. The Crown owns all swans in the UK. Quite possibly, sitting on one could be treason...
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Only swans' down is worth sitting on, (but it's not worth the grief of being pursued by an angry Bewick, hell-bent on breaking your leg, in your attempt to garner it)

They are big, quite coarse, often greasy and possible itchy.
                  Feathers/down, it matters not to me as I leave those sort of matters to my manservant. These artisan types know about such things. In any case, the softest feathers come from White Siberian or Hungarian Geese, but I didn't want to risk the ire of the tabloids by sourcing them from outside the UK.

(but it's not worth the grief of being pursued by an angry Bewick, hell-bent on breaking your leg,
                  I always thought that:

(a) It was an arm not a leg that could be broken by a swan's wing

(b) It is, in any case, a myth.

My brother was once attacked by a swan who was after his ice-cream, but despite him being quite effeminate and only 7 years old at the time, he managed to fight it off. So it turns out that these mythical beasts are not so hard after all are they, eh, eh?
                  Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

I preferred it when Bewick made those big American cars. Now Bewick just play as the only English team in the Scottish league.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      Now Bewick just play as the only English team in the Scottish league.
                      Do you mean Berwick upon Tweed?
                      My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

new line

I think sometimes in this country we treat children in a way that gives them no responsiblity, then suddenly we expect them to behave like adults when they get all the pressures that come with being a teenager.

For some reason, I know not why they seem to feel they really do know best, they wrote the book on it and as parents we are there to pick up the pieces. If we don't we're being bad parents, in their eyes and in other parents.

I think earlier we had more opportunities to be responsible. I know I treated my children differently to the way my parents brought me up, I thought I was being more supportive.

My eldest daughter was given all the information I thought would be necessary to protect her from trouble; socially, emotionally and practically. But she became a mother very young. I did ask her what I missed in the talk, but I think she just thought she knew better and the risks I pointed out were just me trying to stop her having a good time. I don't know how a parent or a teacher can get past that. You can't pin somebodies eyes open, they are more likely to get bloody minded.

My pet theory is there is a tendency in this country for growing lack of respect between the generations. I wish I knew why. Maybe we just don't seem necessary to one another anymore given the state is prepared to pick us up and there are few truly needy people anymore. Given the welfare state/NHS was set up for all the best reasons, it is possibly being used in this way. Depressingly if that were the case it could be that the loving family relationships we remember were due to expediency. No, that's too horrible to consider!

I asked my second daughter if she had any questions.

p.s. apparently swan tastes very good. Used to be Christmas dinner somebody told me.

Comment

Originally posted by zetto View Post
                          Apparently swan tastes very good. Used to be Christmas dinner somebody told me.
                          Goose, possibly?

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
                            My brother was once attacked by a swan who was after his ice-cream, but despite him being quite effeminate and only 7 years old at the time, he managed to fight it off. So it turns out that these mythical beasts are not so hard after all are they, eh, eh?
                            It obviously was not very excited about that particular type of ice cream. Was it a Tooty-Frooty? They aren't very nice.

Comment

It obviously was not very excited about that particular type of ice cream. Was it a Tooty-Frooty? They aren't very nice.
                              Is that the Italian version of what we in the UK call a Tutti Frutti?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                                Is that the Italian version of what we in the UK call a Tutti Frutti?
                                No, it was the version popular in the 1970s in Pontefract, where all things remotely Italian-looking/sounding were shunned as being pretentious and dangerously flamboyant. (Plus, the shopkeeper probably could not spell).

But I have seen it in various places since then. Usually for sale along with dfmb.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X