0870 numbers! I detest them.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    0870 numbers! I detest them.

    This is one of the most annoying things ever....I look through my phone bill every month and notice that my large bills are mainly taken up by the 0870 numbers etc.....What a downright rip off.
    Have just come off the phone to the DPS (tried to email them first through they're website, they tell me it's the wrong one on the site).
    So I'm stuck with calling a premium rate line for a service such as this, mst of my banks are on these rates, so are loads of other public services.
    It's really wrong...it's ok for us, most of us can afford it, but what about people who are struggling financially.

    #2
    Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
    This is one of the most annoying things ever....I look through my phone bill every month and notice that my large bills are mainly taken up by the 0870 numbers etc.....What a downright rip off.
    Have just come off the phone to the DPS (tried to email them first through they're website, they tell me it's the wrong one on the site).
    So I'm stuck with calling a premium rate line for a service such as this, mst of my banks are on these rates, so are loads of other public services.
    It's really wrong...it's ok for us, most of us can afford it, but what about people who are struggling financially.

    Dear oh dear, why are you not using :

    www.saynoto0870.com

    which lists a vast amount of "proper" numbers !

    The Rodent
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

    Comment


      #3
      I've Known about this service for a while... a lot of the numbers can't be found.

      Comment


        #4
        Yes, this is a good site, but why should we have to pay a premium for public service numbers...do you know the cheeky git's tried to charge an 0870 number fee for an information line for the London Bombings, it beggars belief.
        I would love to know the true extent of earnings from these calls.
        It's almost as bad as charging for parking at hospitals....don't get me started on that!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
          Yes, this is a good site, but why should we have to pay a premium for public service numbers...do you know the cheeky git's tried to charge an 0870 number fee for an information line for the London Bombings, it beggars belief.
          I would love to know the true extent of earnings from these calls.
          It's almost as bad as charging for parking at hospitals....don't get me started on that!
          Good news. 0870/0845 numbers are now going to be replaced by a new series in the format 03xxx-xxxxxx (at landline rates).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
            Dear oh dear, why are you not using :
            http://www.saynoto0870.com
            Yes I use that a lot; I reckon I rule out about 80% of my 0870s that way.

            It's particularly gratifying when you find there's a free 0800 number which you can call - make them pay for the call instead!

            Sometimes the nefarious routes of some of the numbers are quite funny - often someone will get hold of a random direct-dial number for some poor sap who works for an 0870 company and will get it published on saynoto0870.com: whereupon presumably that person will then get deluged with calls asking to be transferred to customer service or whatever.

            Only yesterday I was phoning a mobile phone company; the landline was answered by someone saying "Reception?" - clearly not routinely expecting customer calls, and was detectably irritated at being asked to transfer me!

            Comment


              #7
              I would love it if omeone could come up with a dragon's den kind of invention where if we pay a small fee eveytime we dial one of these numbers it automatically redirects us to the freephone number.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
                I would love it if omeone could come up with a dragon's den kind of invention where if we pay a small fee eveytime we dial one of these numbers it automatically redirects us to the freephone number.
                And then we could redirect the small fee back into a charity of our choice.

                The small fee would then be charged to the organisation who provided the 0870 number in the first place.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  Sometimes the nefarious routes of some of the numbers are quite funny - often someone will get hold of a random direct-dial number for some poor sap who works for an 0870 company and will get it published on saynoto0870.com: whereupon presumably that person will then get deluged with calls asking to be transferred to customer service or whatever.
                  One nifty method that I use:

                  My telephone provider (TalkTalk) offers free calls after 2000hrs. daily and all weekend (plus free calls at all times to other TalkTalk customers).

                  If I ask the 0870-using-company what number a non-UK caller can use, I'll be told something like [for my office number] "44-114-268 7638".

                  Simply convert it back to a UK number (i.e. delete "44" and re-insert "0"), which- courtesy of TalkTalk- I can then call free!
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                  Comment


                    #10
                    PI Guy.....sometimes you don't have a choice.
                    I'm sure the people who rang the London bomb enquiy number to see whether their loved one's were dead or alive didn't stop to think Oh! it's a premium rate number......
                    Incidentally there was uproar so they had to change it, to a normal number.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Another interesting statistic, 12 National health service's use the 0870 numbers,
                      Just great ,
                      God help if your on a low income and have the audacity to get a serious illness.
                      Not only do you have to pay for the privilege of making your appointments or asking advice, you will also be charged every day for parking in their car park .
                      It's a joke.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
                        Another interesting statistic, 12 National health service's use the 0870 numbers
                        Agreed, very rubbish - though at least the caller is getting something out of the transaction, ie medical advice or whatever. One of my pet gripes is that the National Blood Service uses an 0845, so if I, as an altruistic individual, want to phone up to organise a time to donate a free pint of my precious red stuff, I get charged for the privilege!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Also, 0845 numbers often carry a connection fee (6p or more) on top of the call charge. Do 0870 numbers too?
                          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

                          Comment

                          Latest Activity

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X