Online bad tenant blacklisting service or database?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Online bad tenant blacklisting service or database?

Every so often somebody posts a message here saying 'wouldn't it be a great idea if we could set up a database of our dodgy tenants to compare notes' etc, and then get shot down because of data protection issues.

Anyway - I've just come accross what is apparently a service offering exactly this; for free apparently:

http://www.letmatch.co.uk/landlords/...stertabindex=7

Can this really be legal and above board? Sounds odd to me. Any of the legal eagles care to comment?

Can't find anything on the link which refers to a database of dodgy tenants, or blacklisting tenants...which bit are you looking at?
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Just been on it and wacked a few ex tenants on it dont think the site is quite finished yet.

Comment

Originally posted by johnboy View Post
        Just been on it and wacked a few ex tenants on it dont think the site is quite finished yet.
        How did you do that?
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          Can't find anything on the link which refers to a database of dodgy tenants, or blacklisting tenants...which bit are you looking at?
          Sorry just looked back at the site, and see that the link I gave only works if you've registered as a landlord. Interestingly there appears to be no mention of this facility whatsoever (they call it "LetMatch Information Exchange" (LIE!) until you've done so).

(I'd already registered myself as this site was one of the ones mentioned here recently as being a 'gateway' onto Rightmove.com for individual landlords).

It doesn't appear to be fully up and running yet; they're inviting people to enter data now so that presumably there will be entries in there once the 'search' facility is working.

There's some more info about it here, which doesn't appear to be restricted to logged-in users (although registering is free and quick):
          http://www.letmatch.co.uk/landlords/lie/how.asp

Comment

Tempting as it is to go and enter the name of one particular tenant who has been a complete pain in the neck (late with rent, disgusting habits, etc), I have some misgivings that it could end up being like that 'Slag off your teacher' website some kids use to launch personal attacks, usually anonymously, with no 'right of reply' for the person being 'defamed'

I appreciate that this register would not be as 'public' as that, but are any checks done to verify the info landlords are submitting?

Sorry, I haven't registered for it so forgive me if that's made clear once you get onto the facility.

Comment

Bad Tenants: Why didn't I think of this idea :-( ?

Yesterday I received a 'promotional' (i.e. unsolicited ;-) email that mentioned getting revenge on bad tenants. Having had more than my fair share of undesirables over the years my curiosity was piqued. You need to look for yourselves! Unfortunately (stupidly?) there's no direct link to the service on their website - you have to log in or create an account. Anyway, it's well worth doing: go to www.letmatch.co.uk , click on the 'Enter Landlord Zone' (no relation I'm guessing ;-) and under landlord sign in click on 'create an account'. Once you've done it you will be on a screen called 'my letmatch'. On the right hand side is a purple tab entitled 'letmatch information exchange'. Click on it and have a look around. I think it's just what we've been waiting for. I'm going to start another thread about problem tenants in a mo and I'd appreciate your thoughts on that too!

Comment

Unbelieveably I've just started a thread on the same thing. I thought it was a flipping amazing idea! As far as I can see they get round the data protection act by not holding or displaying personally identifiable details - when you enter a tenant they only request the bare minumum from you - nothing that could lead to someone saying 'Oi - that's me'. Very clever! Looking at the forms on the site explains how it works. Very, very clever!

Comment

If you can’t clearly identify the tenant then what’s the point, and if you can clearly identify the tenant then I would have thought there is greater risk than just the data protection act e.g. liable postings?
                  I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

What is in place to prevent a good tenant being listed by a bad landlord?
                    I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Looks like a good idea, hope it works. I have joined up!

Comment

Originally posted by greengriff View Post
                        Yesterday I received a 'promotional' (i.e. unsolicited ;-) email that mentioned getting revenge on bad tenants. Having had more than my fair share of undesirables over the years my curiosity was piqued. You need to look for yourselves! Unfortunately (stupidly?) there's no direct link to the service on their website - you have to log in or create an account. Anyway, it's well worth doing: go to www.letmatch.co.uk , click on the 'Enter Landlord Zone' (no relation I'm guessing ;-) and under landlord sign in click on 'create an account'. Once you've done it you will be on a screen called 'my letmatch'. On the right hand side is a purple tab entitled 'letmatch information exchange'. Click on it and have a look around. I think it's just what we've been waiting for. I'm going to start another thread about problem tenants in a mo and I'd appreciate your thoughts on that too!
                        You are blatantly advertising this so-called service (you are probably the owner) with your very poor & pathetic "Hey, look what I found" story.

I don't buy it and seasoned professionals won't either.

Comment

This site is questionable and shabby, at the very least.
                          It is unlikely to be legal to post identifying information about tenants either.

Those "recommending" the site are connected with it, so everyone can ignore their posts.

Comment

If only! I can barely operate a PC and couldn't build a website if my life depended on it :-). However this idea has been discussed on this forum a lot of times already, so when someone's got of their bum and done it we could show a little enthusiasm. I know it pays to be cynical sometimes, but there are limits!

Comment

Originally posted by SEB View Post
                              This site is questionable and shabby, at the very least.
                              It is unlikely to be legal to post identifying information about tenants either.

Those "recommending" the site are connected with it, so everyone can ignore their posts.
                              Eric the lobster, are you connected with it? Looks like SEB has the hump for some reason. Perhaps he could tell us why?

I am a landlord/agent that's been unlucky enough (or maybe it's not 'luck' as I operate at the 'lower' end of the market) to be landed with a few less than brilliant tenants over the years, and I would give my right arm for a chance to get back at them.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X