Why would anyone cheat on the D of E scheme?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would anyone cheat on the D of E scheme?!

Headline in our local paper : Duke of Edinburgh Scheme Cheats Exposed

The same publication has also been famed in the past for producing :

Washing Line Raids - Police Hunt Knicker Thief (it's true, honest)

and less excitingly,

Sheep Drowns in Pond

Pushing journalism to new heights!
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Perhaps the cheats thought [to themselves?] that they were cheating
    not the Duke of Edinburgh but the Department of the Environment?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      Perhaps the cheats thought [to themselves?] that they were cheating
      not the Duke of Edinburgh but the Department of the Environment?
      Or the Duke of Earl?
      Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        Headline in our local paper : Duke of Edinburgh Scheme Cheats Exposed
        Doesn't surprise me in the slightest, sadly. My daughter's doing her gold award at the moment through the local council, and I can confirm that despite the honourable original intentions of the scheme, almost every single youngster in her group of 20-30 comes from a white middle-class home and whose primary reason for originally being involved in the scheme is due to pushy parents wanting to bolster their offspring's university application. Yes, including my daughter I'm afraid.

That said, all the kids involved have had a fantastic experience doing it and have genuinely got lots out of it; from doing voluntary work with disabled kids to canoeing/camping the length of the Caledonian Canal, Loch Ness etc as my townie daughter was doing a couple of weeks ago in the most appalling weather - and contrary to all expectations, absolutely loved it.

So if there are people cheating, it's not too hard to work out why - and TBH it's probably a lot more worthy of attention than the Drowning Sheep et al.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
          So if there are people cheating, it's not too hard to work out why - and TBH it's probably a lot more worthy of attention than the Drowning Sheep et al
          I agree...but I'm still unsure as to HOW exactly people think they could 'cheat' on a hike up Snowdon, for example. Ride up on a St Bernard without anyone noticing?

Surely you've either climbed a mountain or you haven't?! And when you've done it, don't you get a card stamped by the leader and a report written on it? And university admissions tutors are pretty good at spotting bogus claims by applicants- they've seen/heard it all before.

When my niece did it, she was throwing herself around the day of her expedition because she didn't have - wait for it - a melon baller. Why she thought she'd need one, is anyone's guess.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

When my niece did it, she was throwing herself around the day of her expedition because she didn't have - wait for it - a melon baller. Why she thought she'd need one, is anyone's guess.
            They are the perfect implement for extracting sheep's eyes. And you thought she was such a sweet little girl didn't you?
            Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

It's a brilliant theory, but unfortunately the child in question found making Pot Noodle a culinary challenge of the highest order...the sheep would have been over the next valley by the time she'd got the melon baller out.

I must try it one day, though, to prove the theory if nothing else. A sort of 'King Lear' with sheep.

Comment

I agree...but I'm still unsure as to HOW exactly people think they could 'cheat' on a hike up Snowdon, for example. Ride up on a St Bernard without anyone noticing?
                Is this perchance the local rag concerned?:
                http://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/3...eaway_cheats_/

If so, the 'cheating' amounts to the alleged summoning of takeaways via phones!

Certainly my daughter's group were banned from taking mobiles on their recent expedition, under pain of being failed if they were caught with one. They all ceremoniously handed theirs in to the group leader before setting off. (Frankly, I suspect being parted from her mobile was probably the biggest challenge of all for my daughter...)

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
                  I6983.Exposed__Duke_of_Edinburgh_Award_takeaway_ch eats_/[/url]
                  If so, the 'cheating' amounts to the alleged summoning of takeaways via phones!
                  Oh, right! I just saw the newsagent's billboard thing, I never read the rag on principle!

Actually, some would argue that summoning takeaways using forbidden mobiles shows a degree of resourcefulness quite rare in yoofs. Alan Sugar would no doubt offer them a job on the spot.

Comment

It's also anyone's guess as to whether melons have balls.
                    Most people of a melony shape are of a gender not typified by those spherical accoutrements.
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      It's also anyone's guess as to whether melons have balls.
                      Most people of a melony shape are of a gender not typified by those spherical accoutrements.
                      How many years of research did that take then?!

Comment

How many years of research did that take then?!
                        Not enough hands-on experience.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that you can cheat on the D of E scheme. when I participated .....many moons ago,everything you did had to be signed by the leader or a respected person
                          (out of interest, who is a repected person nowadays, a polititian,priest,doctor....I wonder) anyway to cut a long story short you had to write notes up on everything you did and also were constantly being monitored.
                          Believe me if I could have cheated my way out of four days on Snowdon with a leaking kagool, blisters the size of onions and only sheep for company I would have!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Izzycam View Post
                            Believe me if I could have cheated my way out of four days on Snowdon with a leaking kagool, blisters the size of onions and only sheep for company I would have!!!
                            Some people just don't know when they're having fun!

Comment

Just out of interest...has anyone on a Duke of Edinburgh expedition ever found him?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X