The Dead Hand of Censorship

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dead Hand of Censorship

I have posted this publicly because I don't know how to contact The Mordorator via PM. I also think this issue needs airing because there has, of late, been a lot of official interference in the opnions expressed on this forum.

Re: The Carsberg Thread

(1) Why not simply delete the offensive post instead of closing the whole "Carsberg" thread?

(2) And/or ban Toorisky for the offensive comments made in the above mentioned post?

(3) Why delete mine and Bel's last 2 posts when they contained absolutely nothing personal, offensive or insulting?

Re: Generally:

It seems that now, unless we all timidly pussyfoot around each other's opinions, then our posts are in danger of being deleted for simply criticising or questioning someone else's viewpoint.

Hey ho - at least I now know that the easiest way to shut down debate on a subject on this forum is to just provoke someone into an argument.

Very sad, disproportionate and unnecessary.....
    Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
    It seems that now, unless we all timidly pussyfoot around each other's opinions, then our posts are in danger of being deleted for simply criticising or questioning someone else's viewpoint.
    Surely the problem is members' unnecessary antipathy and ad hominem vituperation, rather than mere stark differences of viewpoints?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by agent46 View Post
      I have posted this publicly because I don't know how to contact The Mordorator via PM. I also think this issue needs airing because there has, of late, been a lot of official interference in the opnions expressed on this forum.

Re: The Carsberg Thread

(1) Why not simply delete the offensive post instead of closing the whole "Carsberg" thread?

(2) And/or ban Toorisky for the offensive comments made in the above mentioned post?

(3) Why delete mine and Bel's last 2 posts when they contained absolutely nothing personal, offensive or insulting?

Re: Generally:

Hey ho - at least I now know that the easiest way to shut down debate on a subject is to just provoke someone into an argument.

Very sad and unnecessary.....
      I agree that it would be good to be able to contact the Moderator, and I cannot understand the rationale for purging comments which are not personally abusive, when ones which ARE, are allowed to remain.

For example: the homophobic abuse left by Colincbayley in one of Jeffrey's threads (I realise he's left the forum, but his vicious comments remain); also, an exchange of between TenantsLuvMe and myself about whether a poster was after opinions or not, which, whilst bad-tempered on part of TLM, wasn't actually offensive, was removed, whereas comments about my 'manky' tenants and other similar remarks posted in the same thread by SEB, although gratuitiously personal and inappropriate, were not taken out....????

I have emailed the Moderator to ask for these to be removed but have had no response whatsoever.

Is there another way?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

We've been purged again. A moral enema.
        Is this topic really classed as 'the less serious'?

Interesting.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Moderator does not receive personal messages, it seems. Instead, I suggest that you refer the offending still-undeleted posts for the Editor to inspect and (if necessary) delete. Easiest way: simply flag each one with the "Report Post" thingy (the black exclamation mark within red warning triangle). Also tell him about ColincBayley's abuse.
          MindThe Gap: please explain your last post.
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
            Surely the problem is members' unnecessary antipathy and ad hominem vituperation, rather than mere stark differences of viewpoints?
            That would be true if The Mordorator in his or her overexuberance didn't also sweep up posts which merely contain strongly expressed differences of opinion. I think the most offensive thing in my reply to Bel's "doctors/nurses" post was when I described Bel's view of the differences between doctors and nurses in the way they interact with patients as "lazy stereotyping", or something similar. In my view, that sort of thing should not warrant deletion. If, on the other hand I had added, "You're a ****** idiot", then deletion might have been justified. As for Bel's "doctors/nurses" post to which I replied - as far as I can remember, although it was slightly off-topic it contained nothing offensive, insulting or personal in nature, so there was even less reason to remove it.

"Babies and bathwater" springs to mind.
            Health Warning

I try my best to be accurate, but please bear in mind that some posts are written in a matter of seconds and often cannot be edited later on.

All information contained in my posts is given without any assumption of responsibility on my part. This means that if you rely on my advice but it turns out to be wrong and you suffer losses (of any kind) as a result, then you cannot sue me.

Comment

Solution: don't be offensive.

Comment

Solution: don't be offensive.
                Problem: neither Bel or I were offensive (neither were some of the other authors (eg: J4L) who have suffered post deletion recently).
                Health Warning

Comment

My post was slightly off topic and stereotypical, not meant to be gravely serious and probably had spelling mistakes; it probably deserved a huge rollicking from agent46 but not the Mods.

But I do think that nurses are underrated, compared to "darling doctors".

Jeffrey; what does your post mean??!!
                  All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

MindThe Gap: please explain your last post.
                    What - 'moral enema'? or the fact that agent46's thread about censorship had been 'purged' in the sense of being moved to 'Take a Break - for the less serious!'?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                      What - 'moral enema'? or the fact that agent46's thread about censorship had been 'purged' in the sense of being moved to 'Take a Break - for the less serious!'?
                      Moved from where? What was its proper place, amongst the forums available?

Comment

Moved from where? What was its proper place, amongst the forums available?
                        Perhaps we need one forum called Forum Etiquette, and one called Democracy Matters?

Comment

Etiquette? If only. Politeness is a lost art on LZ.

If you're inventing new forums (fora?), though, why not add one called "Correct English usage"? Many members might benefit significantly!

Comment

hy not add one called "Correct English usage"? Many members might benefit significantly!

Brillliant idea. What format did you have in mind? Public humiliation of offenders - a kind of grammatical pillory - or public instruction (snappy little bite-sized lessons in how to avoid split infinitives or dangling participles)?

Or can we all just rant randomly (but politely, of course!) about the incorrect/inappropriate/unfit for purpose usage of English which prevents us making sense of some posts?

Speaking of which...whatever happened to that link to help non-lawyers with legal jargon?!

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                              Brillliant idea. What format did you have in mind? Public humiliation of offenders - a kind of grammatical pillory - or public instruction (snappy little bite-sized lessons in how to avoid split infinitives or dangling participles)?

Or can we all just rant randomly (but politely, of course!) about the incorrect/inappropriate/unfit for purpose usage of English which prevents us making sense of some posts?
                              Name and shame 'em- or else hanging. It's the only language they understand!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Brexit.. The future ahead.
                                andybenw
                                Whether you voted remain, or leave. Leave won the day.

Whether mainly by racists/bigots or not. Leave won the day.

Some moot that leaving the EU may be thwarted by parliament. Theresa May is holding up EU citizens in UK as bargaining chips.

Rather than...
                                07-07-2016, 06:18 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit.. The future ahead.
                                serse
                                I cannot wait to see a day when UK will leave EU.
                                24-07-2017, 12:39 PM
                              • How long will she last?
                                mind the gap
                                Theresa May seems determined to hang on to power.

Your predictions are invited as to how long she can survive.

I give her until August/September, when she'll cynically call another election, thinking she can dent the student vote. (She's wrong).
                                18-06-2017, 20:42 PM
                              • Reply to How long will she last?
                                serse
                                It will be her last cadence, I think.
                                24-07-2017, 12:32 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit.. The future ahead.
                                JK0
                                If voting changed anything, it would be illegal.

23-07-2017, 08:00 AM
                              • Unconscious humour from posters
                                jta
                                It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
                                01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
                              • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                tatemono
                                that's a very clever washing machine....
                                22-07-2017, 11:47 AM
                              • Ice served in drinks is not very nice. ?
                                Gordon999
                                The Daily Mail Newspaper ( 19 July 2017 ) reported " the ice served by some leading fast food chains in their soft drinks is contaminated by faecal bacteria, it has been revealed "

The contamination is likely to have occurred because the ice or ice-making machines have been...
                                20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                              • Reply to Ice served in drinks is not very nice. ?
                                mind the gap
                                Faecal contaminants in ice cubes are probably the least of your problems in fast food outlets. If you knew what goes into some of the food you would not touch it, let alone eat it.
                                21-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                              • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                JK0
                                Is your landlord a Vampire?...
                                21-07-2017, 18:14 PM
                              Working...
                              X