Surprising things done by tenants

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprising things done by tenants

Thought it might be interesting to share some experiences of surprises (nice or otherwise) provided by tenants. So far some of ours have managed/ attempted to:

paint the lawn with purple paint whilst drunk
    break a window by trying to climb in whilst drunk, then deny culpability on the grounds of being too drunk to remember the incident
    melt the carpet by ironing on it
    use the electric kettle to heat hot-dog sausages in brine (and left the brine in)
    urinate in pint glasses and tip contents out of bedroom window
    deny responsibility for the gas bill on the grounds that they thought hot water was piped in free from outside, 'like cold water is'

(Still waiting for the nice ones).
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

I'm going to go on a limb and say your tenants are students!

The iron one is surprisingly common though! The kettle one is of course a fantastic idea because it saves on washing up - I suggest we all try it!

Comment

surprising things done by tenants

You guessed!

The kettle idea may indeed save on washing up, but the downside is the vomit resulting from subsequent use of brine to make coffee by other unsuspecting tenants.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

surprising things done by tenants

Also (nearly forgot)...

causing a Saniflo system to flood by flushing a pair of boxer shorts down the toilet THEN moaning the other toilet was also unusable because nobody had changed the light bulb in there because it was too dark to see (?!)
        breaking down a bathroom door from inside because occupant 'forgot how the handle worked'

Comment

Doesn't sound like there'll be much deposit left for many of them at this rate... How many of these are the same tenant?

Comment

Several different tenants over two years, but one in particular who, terrifyingly, is now a member of the legal profession!

Comment

When my old boss lived in a big student house, they got rats in one of the bathrooms. What did they do? They superglued the door shut and used the other one!

Comment

students and rats

At least the rats would not have had to share a bathroom with the students. Our sausages-in-kettle guy encouraged a feral rat to come and live inside (neither had many friends), but the rat left after a week. Used to a more varied diet than Pot Noodle and vodka?

Comment

Originally posted by J.D.D. View Post
                  When my old boss lived in a big student house, they got rats in one of the bathrooms. What did they do? They superglued the door shut and used the other one!
                  Is no rat. Is hamster. Man in shop, he say so.
                  I am from Barthelona.
                  JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                  1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                  2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                  3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                  4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                    Is no rat. Is hamster. Man in shop, he say so.
                    I am from Barthelona.
                    Better than a dead parrot...
                    My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Please let me know what town you let flats in so I can make a mental note to keep well clear of the place and its inhabitants.

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
                        Better than a dead parrot...
                        Give me a dead parrot rather than a live rat any time. (Anyone know any good recipes?)

As prospective buyers we viewed a BTL house full of 'young professionals' one of whom owned, or was, a mutant rabbit with its own room, TV and chocolate fountain. Carpet scratched threadbare, all-pervasive stink of rabbit wee and double bed full of little droppings. We passed on that property.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican eats pigeon View Post
                          Please let me know what town you let flats in so I can make a mental note to keep well clear of the place and its inhabitants.
                          Where do you think? First person to guess correctly gets a dead rat, a pot of purple paint and something unspeakable in a pint glass as their prize.

Clue : it's a student city somewhere in Britain

Comment

My brother in law let out a house to tenants who moaned bitterly about the colour scheme and offered to re-decorate the lounge themselves. He agreed, and paid an agreed amount in advance for paint, wallpaper, etc. On his next visit to the house he discovered that every square inch of the lounge walls had been decorated using the separate sample sheets torn out from about sixteen different wallpaper books. It became something of a local feature and stayed like that for twenty-two years. Even the next lot of tenants didn't want to change it, claiming 'there are so many different patterns, you never get bored'.

Tenants on the largest housing estate in Europe (somewhere in South Wales) drove the last remaining shopkeeper to close after they vomited in his deep freezers for the sixth Saturday lunchtime in a row.

My sister's student son and his housemates befriended a tramp, let him live in the garden shed of their rented house and use their bathroom, in return for gardening and odd jobs. Oddly enough, landlord wasn't keen.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                              Where do you think? First person to guess correctly gets a dead rat, a pot of purple paint and something unspeakable in a pint glass as their prize.

Clue : it's a student city somewhere in Britain
                              Nottingham?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unconscious humour from posters
                                jta
                                It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
                                01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
                              • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                tatemono
                                that's a very clever washing machine....
                                22-07-2017, 11:47 AM
                              • Ice served in drinks is not very nice. ?
                                Gordon999
                                The Daily Mail Newspaper ( 19 July 2017 ) reported " the ice served by some leading fast food chains in their soft drinks is contaminated by faecal bacteria, it has been revealed "

The contamination is likely to have occurred because the ice or ice-making machines have been...
                                20-07-2017, 20:16 PM
                              • Reply to Ice served in drinks is not very nice. ?
                                mind the gap
                                Faecal contaminants in ice cubes are probably the least of your problems in fast food outlets. If you knew what goes into some of the food you would not touch it, let alone eat it.
                                21-07-2017, 22:25 PM
                              • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                JK0
                                Is your landlord a Vampire?...
                                21-07-2017, 18:14 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Freezing bacteria doesn't often kill them, cooking them has a better kill rate.
                                Essentially, people need to wash their hands properly and they don't.

You're meant to wash them while you sing happy birthday twice (slowly) so you do it long enough.
                                21-07-2017, 08:38 AM
                                Gordon999
                                And its also the same hands which handle the burgers etc.
                                20-07-2017, 20:56 PM
                                emwithme
                                I worked in McDonalds and various pubs while doing my A Levels/taking my gap year.

I still eat in McDonalds (and drink in various pubs, although not the ones I worked in!).

I DO NOT have ice in drinks anywhere (except home, and I wash the ice trays frequently!) All I can...
                                20-07-2017, 20:27 PM
                              • Acid attack ?
                                Gordon999
                                Today's big news revealed 408 cases of acid attack and disfigurement of the face since Nov 2016.

Victims can be scarred for life and suffer huge loss of earning during the remainder of their life.

Any ideas on how to help the victims ? What is the proper punishment for...
                                16-07-2017, 09:26 AM
                              • Reply to Acid attack ?
                                jpkeates
                                I agree.

It doesn't require any change in the law to achieve that, though.
                                Being scarred by acid is the same as being scarred with any weapon (if quicker).
                                20-07-2017, 15:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X