Has Anyone Had a Quote For a New Roof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Had a Quote For a New Roof?

I need a new roof as my own house's roof is over 50 years old. It's got something like green plasterboards nailed onto the rafters/ beams - that's what the problem with the roof is, that they have gone a bit mouldy looking. I don't think they can be replaced without getting the tiles off.
    When getting a quote, did your roofer go into the attic? The 2 I've asked for quotes from both said that they didn't need to look inside the attic. Do modern roofs get the green plasterboard fitted? The roofers said that there was no point in looking inside the attic as the 'bit that's important' is the part of the beam that is covered by the tiles so as they can't see that part of the beams without removing the tiles, there is no point in looking in attic. However, the tiles in my roof do not sit directly onto the beams but onto the plasterboard. I'm getting another couple of quotes in but hope someone can help with what their experiences were when getting quotes, before I get those further quotes.

A roofer
    1.strips roof,exposing beams
    2.fits permeable membrane
    3.nails on laths
    4.nails or screws on tiles
    5. fits ridge tiles to apex

Comment

This is all normal. They will advise what needs replacing.

Comment

If there is something other than old underlay and roofing batten under the tiles which needs removing, then you will want to agree with the roofer whose responsibility it is to remove it and dispose of it.

This question may be better asked in a roofer's forum.

Comment

A new roof depending on which part of the UK are you are in could be 1000's if not 10's of thousands on the size, and scope of work required. I would also look at putting a dorma into the loft and make it into a room which will add value to the property, u may not need planning permission but you would still need building regs worth considering.

Comment

I think you almost always end up needing PP for a dormer. There’s very few situations where you can get away without it.

Comment

If it isn't leaking why are you spending thousands getting it reroofed?

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                If it isn't leaking why are you spending thousands getting it reroofed?
                The roof is 56 years old. The plasterboard is mouldy. The edges of the beams are rotten, as are the soffits and fascias - I would like the gutters replaced but if the end bits are rotten, how are they gong to screw/ hammer in new gutters?

Comment

Has someone 'boarded' out the loft to make it some form of storage area/habitable space ?

A lot of moisture can pass up through the house and normally would vent out through the sarking/battened roof tiles/breathable membrane (depending on what you have), but if its boarded out that air can't escape and will.condense on the cold plaster board, hence the likelyhood of mould.

The roof is 56 years old, so not that old ... Facias and Soffits are easily replacable, main rafters can have rotten sections cut out and replaced.

At 56 I can't see why a properly maintained and well built roof should be leaking enough to cause the rafters to go rotten. I've stripped 2 roofs (and rebuilt them) and used the original 85 year old timbers elsewhere, I found no rot in any of them.

Unsure about your 'the tiles in my roof do not sit directly onto the beams but onto the plasterboard.' ... that doesn't sound right.

Know what your buying if you are going to replace. You need to be confident that what will be done will be to a good standard, your roof is a crucial element of a property. Get up some scaffold and look at others work so you know what to expect, its all up high and without looking close up anything could be done up there, the scaffold come down, the builders creep away and you would never know, until it starts to fail.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X