Severe Case of Bookworm (My Favourite Authors)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Severe Case of Bookworm (My Favourite Authors)

In my free time I like to read books. I cannot pretend that they are either highbrow fiction or non-fiction books. Tried that stuff (once I think!) but it doesn’t offer me the same kind of escapism I need from all the landlording (and I don’t understand all the bigly words).

The genres I like are: action thriller, legal thriller, crime thriller, psychological thriller. So mainly anything that is a ‘thriller’ as I need those thrills!. Anyway, I thought I would share these in case some of you are readers with similar tastes and on the lookout for a new author. I have read all the books from all the authors below, and I also read many other authors, but the ones below are my favourites from the last approx 20 years.

As is often the case with authors, if they have written say 20 books, then the best ones will likely be books 2 or 3, to 15, so if you do start off with book 1 and think it has potential but not first rate, consider sticking with it.

Top Few:
    Michael Connelly
    Harlen Coben
    Simon Kernick
    Lee Child
    John Grisham
    Michael Robotham
    Greg Hurwitz (especially the Orphan X series, but all books very good).
    Steve Cavanagh (Eddie Flyn novels)
    Paul Finch
    Peter James (non-horror series)
    Robert Crais
    CJ box
    John Marrs

Other favourites:
    Stephen Leather (dropped off in quality noticeably over the last 5 or so years).
    Gillian McAlister
    David Ellis
    Erin Kelly
    Paul Finch
    John Sandford
    Linwood Barclay
    David Baldacci (later stuff not as good).
    Lisa Gardner
    Rachel Abbott
    Angela Marsons
    Robert Goddard
    Gillian Flynn
    Paula Hawkins
    Lisa Jewell
    Louise Candlish
    Chevy Stevens
    Jeffrey Archer (sorry)
    John Lescroart
    Mark Billingham
    Robert Dugoni
    Robert Bryndza
    Tim Weaver
    Jeffrey Deaver

I also like autobiographies - mainly by comedians or entertainers or sportspeople of the last 30 years. One of the best and funniest I have ever read was by Danny Baker.

All advice given by me is purely on the basis of being ‘in my opinion’: please check with the relevant professional before acting on it. If my advice saves you money, mine's a pint.

Blimey.

Top Few:
    Like most of them.
    Not a Harlen Coben fan (don't know why, ticks the right boxes, but just can't get on with his work - brilliant set ups, though).
    And thanks for the pointers for the one's I don't recognise!

I stopped reading Stephen Leather when he revealed he reviewed his own books on Amazon to boost their ratings - and wasn't that impressed with the books in any case.

With you on Danny Baker!

I'd personally add to that list:
    Mick Herron
    Barry Eisler
    Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)
    James Lee Burke
    Mark Gimenez
    Scott Turow
    Steve Cavanagh
    Gerald Seymour
    Tom Wood

And very old now, Ross Thomas
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Tom Wood, Barry Eisler, and Mark Gimenez should have been on my list above as read them all and good enough to be recommended. As for Steve Cavanagh - he is on my top few list above as his Eddie Flynn novels are exceptional.

Not tried the rest on your list so thanks for the tips.

Maye we could start the LLZ equivalent of the Richard and Judy Book club, I’ll even let you be Richard 😊😊

All advice given by me is purely on the basis of being ‘in my opinion’: please check with the relevant professional before acting on it. If my advice saves you money, mine's a pint.

Comment

I'd do a great deal not to be associated in the slightest with Richard Madeley.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X