Why do they fit these things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do they fit these things?

Okay, probably my own fault for buying the flat, but why on earth would anyone fit something like this?

wc.jpg

It's a tiled over wc cistern. Tenant just reported a fault with the flush. I have to pay a plumber to remove tiles, repair flush, and then try & put the tiles back if they aren't broken.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Sometimes (if sensible) the key tiles are just siliconed in place and you can cut them out with a knife. Have a poke.

Comment

The previous owner, probably wasn't renting it out the property out, the maintenance issue wasn't factored in to the overall design.

Comment

To give themselves a job for life - the same reason an electrician wants to fit a bathroom light where you can't change the bulb and require him to change the entire fitting and plumbers who fit taps that need the entire tap to be replaced instead of a 2p washer.

Comment

I've got some like that, is there easier maintenance access from removing the shelf above?

Comment

Looking at the photo the tiling is different and there is a cut in that top plastic edging right at a tile line.
            Where the handle is looks more like tile board than actual tiling?
            Looks like maybe a removable panel?

I'd look for a screw (small allen screw) under the handle. Once the handle/bezel is off then the panel may pull forward to reveal what wonders lie behind.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Quotation has come back as follows, which is not as bad as I feared:

During todays visit inspect defective wc.
              Find wc lever requiring several attempts to flush, replacement syphon unit required.
              Un-fortunately wc cistern concealed (tiled box section).
              Use special diamond cutting equipment remove 2 tiles gain access.
              Fit replacement syphon unit + test.
              Re-fit tiles + seal.

Labour £160.00+vat = £192.00
              Materials £35.00+vat = £42.00

Total £195.00+vat = £234.00

Please advise asap to proceed.
              To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

If your intending on keeping the property, may be see how much extra it would be to have an access panel, that way in the future you don't need to pay +£200 to get a £10 unit fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                  If your intending on keeping the property, may be see how much extra it would be to have an access panel, that way in the future you don't need to pay +£200 to get a £10 unit fixed.
                  Thanks. That's a good idea.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X