Global Warming - So What

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Global Warming - So What

I'll get it off my chest - I'm fed-up of all the panic surrounding Global Warming / Climate Change.

I'm more pi**ed off at the forced cost to us all - when it will mean absolutely nothing.

Climate Change is real. Believe it or not, it's been happening for hundreds of millions of years and it will continue to happen for a few hundred billion more, guaranteed.

I started thinking, OK so it's getting warmer - ever since the Ice Age really (after all, it caused the ice to melt).

That obviously led to a further question - what did we have before the Ice Age - oh, no ice. I guess it was just hotter.

Woah - can you believe that before the warm period before the last ice age, there was - another ice age - another hot period - another ice age etc.

Our planet has been getting hotter (more than today and with higher CO2 levels) and colder for hundreds of millions of years.

FACT

So, the Climate Change bandwagon is pushing for us to cut down on energy use/waste to "save the planet" lol

What good will that do as our planet will NATURALLY get hotter over the next few thousand years - and then get very very cold again afterward etc etc

If we want to do something, then perhaps invest and adapt to counter natural changes so our species can continue - but aren't we doing that anyway? The chosen few will be all star trekky and searching out new planets and new civilisations.

Spending vast amounts of money will perhaps delay the next "hot spell" so it might be delayed by 2,000 years, which isn't a lot in the history of our planet - but it WILL happen just as it has for zillions of years.

We'd be far better for now just building a big wall around the coast to hold back the rises in sea levels - but geology has shown these can change by 25 metres between climate changes so it needs to be a big wall - or we can install heat pumps and then drown.

My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

I was going to reply positively to your thread. Then I remembered how rude you were about mine.

Originally posted by landlord-man View Post
    Mods

- give us a "Laugh My Ass Off" button to go alongside the "like" one please.

It's unfair that those of us who cannot believe the rubbish being written only have the option to "like" it or keep quiet.

Ta.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      I was going to reply positively to your thread. Then I remembered how rude you were about mine.

Cant believe I actually went to look - and I found nearly a 4-page thread of you posting youtube clips.

I obviously found something funny at the time but don't wish to regress.

I do however stand by the comment that I made which is accurate - why only a "like" button ?
      My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Of course climate change is man made

the world population in 1920 was about 2 billion

the world population in 2020 was about 8 billion

i do think that quadrupling the population in a 100 years has had effects BUT rarely do any of these eco warriors or politicians talk about slowing the growth of the population

Comment

Cant believe I actually went to look - and I found nearly a 4-page thread of you posting youtube clips.
          There are six youtube clips.
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
            Of course climate change is man made

the world population in 1920 was about 2 billion

the world population in 2020 was about 8 billion

i do think that quadrupling the population in a 100 years has had effects BUT rarely do any of these eco warriors or politicians talk about slowing the growth of the population
            No - IT'S NOT MAN-MADE - its being made worse by man, yes.

But it's still going to happen no matter what.

Its been happening for millions and millions of years - ice age, hot, ice age, hot............

Comment

Try getting to a remote scottish island in an electric car! I can just imagine sitting in a queue for a charging point on the motorway then happily spending an hour watching my vehicle charge only to get to the port and find I had missed the ferry and the next two are full (and even if not the next one is 6 hours from now). Oh how happy I will be to save the planet. I am all for electric vehicles if you just commute to work in the car - its a no brainer but for longer journeys it will never work until charging is as quick as filling up with petrol...I listened to a programme on Radio 4 the other day where they interviewed someone from the USA who was saying they will never have electric vehicles as there are so many cars and such long distances between places. Until the technology allows a 3 minute charge forget it. And don't get me started on heat pumps.....
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

+1 to be added then I guess

Comment

+1 to be added then I guess
                  Well that's my point. You and I see eye to eye on a lot. Just I don't think you have done the research to find the reasons why TPTB are taking us down this blind alley. Did you watch any of the clips on my thread?

Comment

Did you watch any of the clips on my thread?
                    No - mainly because it was one after the other (like spamming) and I had no idea what they were. Much prefer to read something.

Comment

I have to agree with Landlord-man to a certain extent.
                      But not fully because he has a factor missing, and we should currently be heading towards another ice-age and not staying in a hot spell.

Whilst there are very good reasons for cutting down energy use and waste, and so yes we should be doing it, it's not going to affect long term climate change.

It may have a short term effect, maybe longer then you might at first think when just considering the cycle of ice-ages, but long term the planets climate changes from colder to warmer and we are not going to affect that.
                      (Remember the story of King Canute and the tide anyone? Another cycle that can't be stopped).

It's not even that long since the North Sea and Irish Sea were dry land, only about 10,000 years.
                      But the panet was already moving into a warmer period, the ice caps melted and sea levels rose, the low lying land became marshes, sea levels rose further and now they are seas.
                      Britain finally became an island seperated from the European mainland about 8,000 years ago. (Thought partially helped by a large tsunami).
                      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12244964

All of this happened not that long ago (only yesterday in planetary terms) but still well before extensive coal mining, oil burning, CO2 emisions, excess energy use, and so on.

What we see now is simply the same planetary warming process continuing, the planet is still getting warmer following the last ice-age.

These periods of ice-age/warmer-age have been shown to be related to the interaction of three long term variations in the Earths orbit around the sun, (Eccentricty, Obliquity, & Precession), we are not going to be able to change those.

However:
                      Having noted all that, our CO2 emissions and other greenhouse gasses are having an effect on that cycle of planetary temprature change.
                      They are holding off the planetary cooling that should have already started and be taking us on the way to the next ice-age.

This 2016 article explains more about the palnetary variations, and the affect of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses in holding off the next ice age:
                      https://theconversation.com/ice-ages...next-one-70069

So yes; we should be cutting down on energy use and waste; but don't expect it to stop long term climate change.

Efforts (and money) would perhaps be better spent on preparing for the changes rather than trying to stop what we can't?
                      (King Cnut again).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                        Efforts (and money) would perhaps be better spent on preparing for the changes rather than trying to stop what we can't?
                        EXACTLY !!!!!

Here is one interesting idea - and not as far out as you'd think given the speed at which "space research" is progressing.

Reduce the impact of the Sun on our Earth.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...h=327794be43bc

The Chinese have been using a brolly for years lol

Comment

Inexplicably the author there seems to have forgoten to put solar panels on his space-umbrella. (Unless I missed that bit?)

That would then basically be the first step towards a Dyson Sphere, a concept that has been about since the 1930s.

A full Dyson Sphere encloses a whole sun, collecting it's entire output, and then beaming the energy to the palnet(s) where it can be used.

Of course we don't have the technology to build a Dyson Sphere yet.

Just google for more about Dyson Spheres.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                            Just google for more about Dyson Spheres.
                            Is that a bigger version of a Dyson Ball? I've got one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post
                              Is that a bigger version of a Dyson Ball? I've got one of those.
                              Ahh, yes just a bit bigger,

(Although I'd have been really, really, tempted if I was on the marketing team that named the cleaner).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X