How to reduce energy bills by 25%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to reduce energy bills by 25%

I am one of the customers whose utility company has gone bust, so Im pretty sure my bills will be going up. I can afford this, but many people look on course for a difficult winter with a reduction of UC, increase in utility bills & food prices probably going up because of shortages & Brexit.

There is a simple thing the Govt can do that would help everyone - remove the green subsidies that are on our utility bills.

These subsidies, given to companies to promote green energy, account for approx 25% of everyone's bills - more if you are an electric only house. This is in effect a stealth tax, applied universally with no account taken of income or ability to pay.

The Govt should remove this tax, at least temporarily, and give everyone some breathing space this winter. Then, let's find a more open way to pay for green technologies instead of taxing people through the back door.

Also Government should waive the 5% VAT and let the energy gas company keep it.

Comment

The price of the raw materials have shot up and the consumer picks up the increased price.
      The question is, does the government intervene to subsidise the consumer or does it let the market operate freely.
      And if it does intervene, does it do it by running the utility companies or injecting cash into business otherwise run for profit.

Where this has gone wrong is that power companies were competing for business by offering long term discounted rates, which were attractive to consumers - I certainly moved to People's energy and saved a lot of money - and then can't afford to maintain the cheap supply when their own costs went through the roof.

I'm hacked off personally because I don't use gas directly (although some of my electricity will be generated by gas) and no one gave much of a monkeys when kerosene prices doubled a while ago - because I use quite a lot of that to heat the place.
      So my utility company has gone bust because of a produce I don't use and now my electricity bill will go up.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

BTW, when a company like British Gas takes on an account, they're allowed to recoup the cost of migration (a few hundred pounds per customer) in their tariffs over the next months (from every customer, not just the one's being migrated), so it's very lucrative for them and adds more cost to the consumer in the coming months.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In today's FT:

Green tax.png

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X