Sneaky repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sneaky repairs

I bet we all suffer from these, don't we?

Tenant breaks something during tenancy, then repairs it poorly, but adequately so that no-one notices at check out. Here's the latest thing I've found, months after my tenant left:

Can you see what's been done? Somehow tenant has broken the strings holding the lower two or three blind slats, so he's removed them and re-threaded the thicker bottom slat further up.

Perhaps they're like me, I only have to look at a blind and the bl**dy thing breaks. ๐Ÿ™„

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
      Perhaps they're like me, I only have to look at a blind and the bl**dy thing breaks. ๐Ÿ™„
      Ah, most tenants are it seems. My blinds here at home are 16 years old, and have only required a few new wands. (Rod at the side to adjust angle.)

Those in the picture are five years old, and were new when T moved in. I don't think it helps that no heating has been used all that time.

Comment

It's par for the course with blinds.

This is the bedroom of the Social Housing flat when I moved into a couple of months ago.
        Broken hook on the vertical blind carrier so the HA workmen have removed the slat and put the next one on a diagonal.
        TBH I suspect that they broke it themselves when fitting a mismatched trickle vent as a bodge to replace a broken one.
        It was the only set of blinds that was pulled back rather than fully closed when I moved in - they knew and were hiding it.

If they had left the old slat I could have fixed it fairly easily by supergluing a new hook to the broken shaft, (you cant replace the shafts and have to replace the whole truck set), but they must have thrown it away, probably to hide it.

20210825_110235[2].jpg

Comment

Spring loaded roller blinds seem to be more robust and need less training to use.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
            It's par for the course with blinds.

If they had left the old slat I could have fixed it fairly easily by supergluing a new hook to the broken shaft, (you cant replace the shafts and have to replace the whole truck set), but they must have thrown it away, probably to hide it.
            I had exactly this happen with a similar set of blinds about a week ago. I just bent a paper clip into the right shape and fed it through. Works perfectly.

Comment

I know the paperclip repair you mean, but that is where the hook on the slat has broken.

In my case it's the plastic hook on the carrier truck that has snapped off straight through the shaft, and on this type you can't replace the shafts like you can with the bigger types.

I have fashioned a new hook (out of two small cable clips) and just need to superglue it to the broken shaft after I've filed things flat, then I suppose I'll take a slat from one end to replace the missing one. (At least the gap will be at the end then until I can get/make a new slat).

20210915_152102.jpg20210915_152349.jpg

Comment

Stick to curtains, they're much easier ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                  Stick to curtains, they're much easier ๐Ÿ˜
                  I fitted blinds in the interests of ventilation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X