X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL.

I think I'll stick to my mask, thanks.

I'm currently isolating having had contact with someone who tested positive later that day (my wife is immune suppressed).
    I was distanced and outside, but not wearing a mask (that'll teach me!).
    Hopefully, my test will come back negative.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      LOL.

I think I'll stick to my mask, thanks.
      I'm currently isolating having had contact with someone who tested positive later that day (my wife is immune suppressed).
      I was distanced and outside, but not wearing a mask (that'll teach me!).
      Hopefully, my test will come back negative.
      In that case, of course wear a mask.

I have been in contact, but kept my distance with a few people who have come in contact with an infected person.
      I have come into contact with a man ( but kept my distance ) with someone who died, apparently from Covid, 7 weeks later.
      I do know that he had various operations, and was not at all fit, but continued working - as no work = no pay.
      I know 8 people who had it, ( and to quote Jeremy Clarkson ) They read a book till it went away.
      Yes distressing, and debilitating when you catch it, and I got pneumonia, ( which is also a killer - with underlying bad conditions, and even with no underlying conditions )

Lost my Mum to pneumonia.
      Lost my Girlfriend to pneumonia

But we did not wear masks for the deadly pneumonia.and between 1 January and 31 August 2020 (
      ons.gov.uk )
      Influenza and pneumonia was mentioned on more death certificates than COVID-19

Keep safe..

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
        But we did not wear masks for the deadly pneumonia.and between 1 January and 31 August 2020 (ons.gov.uk )
        Influenza and pneumonia was mentioned on more death certificates than COVID-19
        Yet another example of you misrepresenting facts.

This is likely a good illustration of how confirmation bias and a closed-mind attitude lead people to accept conspiracy theories rather than making the effort to actually understand what the facts mean.

It is true that the ONS say that 'influenza and pneumonia' were mentioned on more death certificates between January and August 2020 than Covid-19, but they very clearly state that Covid-19 was given as the underlying cause of death for well over 3x as many deaths during that period.

It is a fact that most severe respiratory infections will often lead to pneumonia as a secondary infection - pneumonia that would often not have been contracted without the initial infection.

On this subject you aren't being honest with yourself, let alone anyone else.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...nd31august2020

Comment

Since the Aids epidemic, I've been careful about cause of death.
          So many people with Aids "died" of Pneumonia, which was the thing that finally killed them, rather than Aids, which is why they caught Pneumonia.
          It's why Heart Failure is such a common killer.

But, again, using Aids as an example, simply deciding that Covid was the single or even the most important reason for death has to be considered quite carefully.
          I know two people who died after catching Covid, and both would probably not have died exactly when they did without it.
          But I'm not at all sure either would have survived pre-existing conditions for another 12 months either.

It's hard to be absolute about these things.
          If they'd been hit by a car and killed, their deaths would have been legitimately recorded as traffic deaths, so it would be consistent to think of them as casualties of Covid, but we're trying to build new policies.
          We have well established views and rules relating to vehicles, so being killed by a car should be avoidable.
          We don't have the same for Covid, so the complexities of people's deaths shouldn't be ignored at this point.

Taking an extreme view, just to make a point.
          If almost all of the deaths from Covid were people who would probably have died within 12 months anyway and long covid isn't a big deal (neither of which I believe personally), our response to the pandemic might be considerably diffferent.
          You'd have some hard decisions, for example, about whether the negative effects on children's education and people's jobs was necessary when balanced against some quite ill people losing a few month's of life.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

It's hard to be absolute about these things.
            Thanks for your comments. Good arguments.

Comment

They do for England at least, every day, here - https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistic...ital-activity/

On 6th July, there were 1,998 people in hospital with Covid (how they define that is on that page).
              Which is worrying, because on June 6th, there were 807.
              3,894 beds occupied yesterday (20th) which is a double in a fortnight.
              If the growth is exponential, not just steep, September is going to be "interesting".

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                Compared with 34,000 at the peak in January.
                If the rate of hospitalisations is increasing exponentially (which isn't a given), we'll hit that number by the end of August (give or take a couple of thousand).

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                  Sorry to mention the following, but saw it on the internet.

"I see these people ( men ) driving alone in a car wearing a mask.
                  Do they wear a condom, alone in bed - just in case."
                  I have'nt laughed so much since Grandma caught her tits in the mangle.

Comment

For you younguns, ere is a mangle - with attachments.

OldMangle.jpg

Comment

To Mask or Vax.

Just imparting some official government information ( social media screen dump first )
                      Below is Not my post.

covid-2-wave.jpg

The resurgence in both hospitalisations and deaths is dominated by those that have received two doses of the vaccine, comprising around 60% and 70% of the wave respectively. This can be attributed to the high levels of uptake in the most at-risk age groups, such that immunisation failures account for more serious illness than unvaccinated individuals. This is discussed further in paragraphs55and 56.

Gov site = https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-31-march-2021

Also ------

Attached Files

Comment

If 95% of people are vaccinated, which is what they modelled, then it is no surprise that most people who become ill would have been vaccinated. (i.e. the 5% of unvaccinated people would make up 30-40% of the hospitalised and dying).

It clearly isn't proof that vaccines are no good, unless you don't have even a basic understanding of maths. (Or, don't care about the maths and just want any excuse to make a point).

And the vaccines, thankfully, appear to be working better than those models predicted at preventing hospitilisations and deaths.

Comment

I find it disappointing that RAM cherry-picks information in the way he does, out of context, distorted by his own interpretation, and excluding important points made by the authors i.e. the bold sentence from paragraph 56;

“This is not the result of vaccines being ineffective, merely uptake
                          being so high.”

That model output from last March doesn’t suggest anywhere that vaccination is generally ineffective.

Clearly the person in RAM’s first posted image struggled to understand also.

I have no idea what that second image is meant to be pointing out or where it’s from?
                          I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Continue to wear a mask
                            Watch video as Comedy or the truth, which ever way you swing

Comment

Comment

That video has nothing at all to do with wearing masks, but I’ll let that go for now.

The mathematics presented in the video are nonsense simply because they totally ignore demographics.

Here’s paragraph 56 in full extracted from the modelling report linked in post #76;

“56. This shows that most deaths and admissions in a post-Roadmap resurgence are in
                                people who have received two vaccine doses, even without vaccine protection
                                waning or a variant emerging that escapes vaccines. This is because vaccine uptake
                                has been so high in the oldest age groups (modelled here at 95% in the over 50-year olds).
                                There are therefore 5% of over 50-year olds who have not been vaccinated, and 95% x
                                10% = 9.5% of over 50-year olds who are vaccinated but, nevertheless, not protected
                                against death. This is not the result of vaccines being ineffective, merely uptake
                                being so high.

So, do you understand that since a very large number of high risk people have been vaccinated, and the vaccines are not 100% effective, then a proportion of those high risk people will remain at risk. These are the people who end up in hospital, and sadly some don’t survive.
                                I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X