Are GP surgeries that busy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are GP surgeries that busy?

Every time I've been in touch with my GP surgery over the last several weeks, they've been telling me they're so "busy" due to the "current situation". They even told me that last week.
    Yet infections and death from coronavirus were far lower last week than during the peak. And even if there were plenty of cases, GP surgeries are not involved - infected people either stay at home or in bad cases go to the hospital.
    And if surgeries are busy due to a backlog of patients, how did this pile up? Surgeries were open throughout and never overwhelmed with the virus. Were GPs twiddling their thumbs? Any backlog of treatments would be at the hospital. Yet I've been there and it's eerily quiet, parking empty, and I've been seen very quickly.
    Maybe someone can explain?

Mine are taking the p*ss too. Just like yours they will have nothing to do with anything that might be covid related and do their best to fob off everyone else. No chance of a face to face appointment, if you're lucky you'll get a phone appointment in a fortnight.

Comment

My cousin got this nonsense about a year ago. He went in to the surgery and tried to book an appointment but was told they were busy with other patients. 'Where are they then?' he asked, pointing to an empty waiting room. They grudgingly showed him in to the doctor.

I think there's going to come a point where people will ask to take their names off a doctor's books if they can't get in to see him.

Comment

I wish there was an option where you could stop paying for the NHS and use that money to go private, rather than pay for private while still paying for the NHS. Then again, I suppose GPs will be delighted and will all go private too.

I thought GP surgeries had to show how many patients they see a week and this was taken into consideration when paying their salary? So bigger surgeries with more patients get more money?

Comment

If the only evidence that the surgery is busy is the word of the reception staff and there's no actual difficulty getting an appointment, maybe they're just exaggerating.

My local GP introduced a basic triage system which they're saying will continue.
          You call in and if it's routine they schedule a phone or video call, if it's urgent a doctor calls you back in an hour or so, assesses the situation and either decides it's routine, arranges a same day appointment or just deals with it there and then.

To be honest, I've never had better service.
          A five minute call about routine stuff beats a 15 minute drive both ways and a 10 minute wait in a room full of elderly sick people.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Similar at our surgery, although the appointment would be at a 'Red Clinic' for non-covid cases, a designated surgery but not necessarily your own.
            Designated Red Clinics were/are set up nationwide.
            (Although our surgery was still doing appointments to take bloods etc., just not examinations).

I had reason to call (severe sciatic pain) and the doctor called back, after a consultation she wanted me to go to the 'Red Clinic' in the nearby town for an examination.
            But I explained that was 5 miles away and I'd have had to go by bus, which weren't running much at the time anyway, so she sent out one of the 'Visiting Paramedics Team' to examine me.
            'Visiting Paramedics' was a new one to me.

He examined, they consulted over the phone, she prescribed electronically to the pharmacy, I later hobbled the 200 metres to pick up the meds.

These visiting paramedics are not emergency ambulance paramedics but a local team that GPs can call on to visit and examine patients, they are not attached to any particular surgery.
            I don't know if such teams of visiting paramedics are a national setup? It may be something particular to this area which is very rural.
            TBH the paramedic came out a lot quicker than a GP would have, and I can see it catching on as a general thing, to save the GPs from having to do home visits at all.

Comment

Red clinics, visiting paramedics... Is this in the UK?

Comment

Of course it's the UK. (Where have you been for the last six months?).

Apparently though 'Red Clinics' have now now changed function, have been renamed as 'Red Hubs' and are doing Covid testing as well as examining patients wh may have covid but are showing no sysmptoms.

Further checking Visiting Paramedic it seems that some areas have been running similar teams for a number of years.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                  Of course it's the UK. (Where have you been for the last six months?).
                  On Daily Mail

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X