Italy lowers taxes for UK Pensioners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italy lowers taxes for UK Pensioners

Italy lowers taxes to 7% on pension income for 10 years to lure British Pensioners to Southern Villages with population fewer than 20,000.

This pension deal applies to regions in Sicily, Calabria, Sardinia, Campania ,Basilica,,Abruzzo, Molise and Puglia.

This was reported by the Times in Feb . 2020 :

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...ages-5t0dpz06d

This is one idea that should be copied in UK.

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
    This is one idea that should be copied in UK.
    Do you mean all pensioners should pay lower taxes? Or pensioners who live in certain areas, should pay lower taxes?

Comment

I was thinking of encouraging pensioners to move from London to less populated towns up north.

Comment

Why would we want them? The more people who stay in London the better IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          I was thinking of encouraging pensioners to move from London to less populated towns up north.
          That would just push the council tax up in those area's to pay for all the extra social care etc.

Comment

If you look at the trend : British Empire gone, Lancashire cotton industry gone, Tyne side ship building gone, British Motor manufacturing gone, Hull and Grimsby fishing fleets, High Street Banks shrinking , Small shops closing. Newsagents closing , Larger shopping malls closing . Pubs closing , Local bus service closing at 7 pm. Something has to change.

Comment

How about no more imported goods that could be manufactured in the UK. Inflation would go through the roof, but there would be plenty of jobs in factories again.

Comment

And no more imported people either.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                  And no more imported people either.
                  Does that include doctors and nurses?

Comment

Yes. We've been living on imported doctors and nurses for years. I can't think of any reason why we can't train our own.

Comment

The NHS has found it cheaper to hire qualified doctors because the Government provides no long term budget for training local students to become doctors or nurses.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                        Yes. We've been living on imported doctors and nurses for years. I can't think of any reason why we can't train our own.
                        Nonetheless, we don't.
                        So there must be some reason(s) why not.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Because it's been easier to import them. There aren't enough university places to become a doctor hence the intense competition for places. There's no shortage of Brits who would like to be a doctor. Nursing has scored an own goal by insisting it's university level. There are many skills you need to be a good nurse, caring, attention to detail etc etc, the ability to solve quadratic equations isn't one of them. When I was a child in the 60s my hospital consultant Dad brought his foreign trainees home so this has been going on for a long, long time. It doesn't help our population explosion and it doesn't help developing countries to lose their skilled staff either.

Comment

Reported in the Times on 20 July 2020. " Greece lures pensioners with sun, sea and low taxes".

Greece is making a play for pensioners by offering a flat rate of income tax at 7% for retired foreigners who transfer their tax residence. The Finance Ministry submitted the draft law to Parliament last week. The tax incentive will last for 10 years.

The country hopes to attract pensioners from across Europe to take up residence in places like Mykonos and spend money in restaurants.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X