• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this what other senior members do?

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
    I will allow people to have more than one forum alias
    I've never posted under another alias.

There are far more than you might imagine.

And by the way, the record is over 200 aliases, but that was a spammer.

I've banned over 5600, the bulk being spammers, most never get to post.
    I also post as Mars_Mug when not moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Moderator2 View Post
      There are far more than you might imagine.
      So there are senior members on here also posting under another alias?

-Sorry if it's a naïve question.
      Last edited by boletus; 17-06-2020, 23:14 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Most forums I use have a one account per user rule, much easier to manage for mods and admin.

Maybe an Idea for LLz ?

Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Unless I have an old forgotten login (or have done something weird while drinking), this is my only account.
          I don't really see the point of more than one.

And that last "lot" were really odd.
          Some of the posts were really helpful and the various aliases didn't seem to add any obvious benefit to the user behind them.
          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I have once posted under an alias. In this instance I had a question about a very specific and unique court judgement which would have enabled me to be identified (both by other forum participants but also by fellow lessees and tenants). This seemed to me at the time to be reasonable, and in fact I cleared it with the moderator first.

What is not reasonable is creating clones to agree with yourself, or to try to bully people.

Comment

Originally posted by 45002 View Post
              Most forums I use have a one account per user rule, much easier to manage for mods and admin.

Maybe an Idea for LLz ?
              It's a little difficult to control unless you have some automated process or actively go looking for it. If I find that a long term member has more than one alias, and they have never used that in any dubious way, then I can’t see reason to take action. I did question once when a ‘long leasehold’ member had about 15 different aliases and claimed this was for reasons of anonymity. Looking at their threads they must have been the most unlucky leaseholders on the planet given the frequency and diversity of their issues. I think they were writing a book or something.

Comment

By far the most common use of aliases other than the common spammer or spambot, is with real people trying a sneaky advert.

The threads starting with ‘Can anyone recommend…’ catch my eye, they are normally followed by a different member offering advice on some wonderful company that they have used, that second member being the same person, and typically the company owner. Would you want to use a company that is so ready to cheat and deceive in such a way?

Comment

It can't always be easy for moderators of forums like this to tell whether two different users are actually the same person.

Two people who are cohabiting, for instance, might both have their own usernames, but will look look the same as one person with two usernames to a moderator checking IP addresses (especially if they share the same computer or other devices).

Comment

IP addresse checks are only a small part of it, there are many more checks I make. But even in the possible situation of two people at the same location, if I see some kind of contrived posting in a thread then there’s still no excuse.

Comment

There are genuine reasons for having more than one account.
                      How many to allow is up to the site rules and/or the moderators judgement.

I recently had to create another account here for a specific reason, Moderator2 knows about it, I'll probably never use it again but it's still there.

There are another 2 fora where I have both a moderator account and another 'normal' user account, so that I can see the forum from both views.
                      I usually only post from the mod account.

As moderator2 says the most common use of 2 (or more) registrations is for setup spam, which good mods will spot before the advertising answer is even given.

IP checks are not as useful as they used to be, a user with a mobile device will use many IP's as they move about and log on from different places and different devices.
                      I've just checked on another forum where I mod and I have logged on there from 600+ different IP's over the last 5 years.
                      (It actually shows that when I first registered there I was in a town that I only ever journey through on a train, and not very often, so must have been using my phone on the train).
                      And don't forget VPNs, very popular with spammers.

Comment

I’m not going to give away any details here, but I find that changing IP addresses, and even use of VPN, are more of a help to me than a hinderance.

Comment

When one gets to a certain age , remembering log in details is often a challenge so I apply the KISS principle .

Comment

TBH as I grow older, I become more reliant on technology to remember things for me.
                            The password management app I use knows all of my passwords and I don't know many of them at all.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X