X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doobrey View Post
    Everybody hates landlords. Even the government

I don't tend to disclose it either.
    I tend to tell the young people in the office when they are bleating about their rental issues. I give them the landlords perspective and chastise them for never actually reading the AST before signing it.

I tend to hate most letting agents. Especially where they exploit people's lack of knowledge or indeed lack knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      I agree with most of that post, but not 100% with the last sentence of this paragraph.

A agree that most landlords don't think of themselves as being in the business of providing homes, but I don't think many of them think of it as an investment either.
      I think most landlords think of it as an extra monthly income and don't consider the costs and risks at all.
      They found themselves with a spare property and decided to cash in.

They're encouraged in this by letting agents who basically tell them that if they provide a property, they'll do the rest,
      TV shows where people buy somewhere, do it up and then rent it out and idiots selling seminars to help people get rich using other people's money and off plan bargains.

It's seen as free money and no one plans for buying boilers, tenants who lose their jobs, or just the kind of things that happen when you deal with the public.

70% of landlords have 1 property and they provide half the rental properties in England and Wales.
      Many have no idea what they're doing, have no idea how to run a business, don't think of their tenants as customers (and wouldn't know how to handle a customer relationship even if they did).
      Lots treat tenants as though they were lodgers.

There are loads of great landlords and then there are some who are simply crooks, and, in between is the majority of landlords and there's no consistency of quality or level of service.
      Just because we rent out only one property doesn't mean we don't take it seriously. I remind myself what kind of landlord I'd like to deal with and try to be that person. If they phone with a problem, I'm very careful to check out how urgent they think it is.
      For instance. There's a problem with the toilet flush. The tenant can flush it if they take the lid off the cistern. They've just let me know, but it's been like that for 2 weeks.
      I'm on a work trip so can't just pop in, but could come Saturday morning. Are they okay with that ? They are happy.

TeNant phones up 6 days before Christmas. The central heating keeps going off. I imediately organise a gas fitter to contact them and arrange a time ASAP as I'm working away. They have a baby. They can't do without heating. The gas fitter is there the same day.
      The gas man thinks he's found the cause of the pressure dropping, and has fixed it, but teaches the tenant how to reset the pressure if it happens again.
      Tenant is happy. Gas fitter has a Christmas bonus, and I remind the tenant that they are obliged to let me know of any issue as soon as possible, as neither of us want the house deteriating.

Comment

I amended post 13 last night but for some reason it was considered possible spam and is awaiting approval. Since the following posts do not make sense without it I set out the text below:

I do not think that landlords have ever had a good press.

For a start there is the perception that they get their money without doing anything much. By way of example, when I was thinking of letting my house when I moved abroad a month's rent was about the same as I earned a week by working.

Historically, a rent market totally free from any sort of control led to slums. Landlords would literally turn up and throw tenants on the street.

Owning land (or at least being more than just an owner-occupier) still has a social caché. Many landlords behave like caricatures of landlords as they feel it goes with their enhanced social status. They see BTL as an investment and not a business involving the provision of homes.

With the advent of BTL we have seen a surge in control-freakery. No smoking; no pets; no pictures on the wall; no visitors; no decorating; and the latest - no putting up a temporary fence if the old one gets blown down by the wind. Many landlords also have unreasonable expectations about how a property should be left when the tenancy ends.

The present government does not hate landlords. It has taken the Tories 30 years, but they have come to realise that the Thatcherite project on housing has failed. Thatcher displayed all the worst aspects of the lower middle classes - a visceral disdain of the working classes and a belief that half of them were getting something for nothing and that decent folk like them were paying for it. Council tenants, when they were not storing coal in the bath, were perceived to be raking in huge subsidies. In fact, the subsidies paid to home-owners in tax relief on their mortgages was 8 times greater than any subsidies received by council tenants.

The Housing Act 1988 and the sale of council houses were presented as a sort of privatisation of housing. Of course it was not, because it allowed landlords to stop providing houses when they wanted their cash back with the onus thrown on councils to provide accommodation which they increasingly did not have. "There is no such thing as society" has proved to be bad economic policy if you are looking to reduce subsidies. Instead of subsidising council housing the taxpayer is now subsidising landlords who charge inflated rents. If, as many are, you are paying rent equal to two-thirds of your income you are not going to class your landlord as a benefactor. You are going to think even less of him if you go onto a forum and find that your landlord, who expects an annual increase in rent, is ranting about the latest government plan and asserting he will have to raise the rent by 2%.

There are also far too many people going into BTL who expect not only a guaranteed return but an ever-increasing return. Many recent threads have shown that many ladlords think they should be exempt from the economic effects of the pandemic. I fear that that combined with Brexit is going to see a lot of investors disappointed. Do not be surprised if rent controls are brought in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          Since the following posts do not make sense...…...
          Nailed it right there. The rest of the post is filled with political bitterness, half truths, wishful thinking and downright nonsense.

I'm guessing you've no practical experience of ever being a UK landlord nor even a tenant since the 1970's and you've not lived in this country for decades.
          -It's like listening to someone explain how to drive a F1 car when the closest they've ever come is riding a bicycle.

Give the Housing Price Crash website a rest for a few days, it's not a true reflection of renting in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical.Lean View Post
            Just because we rent out only one property doesn't mean we don't take it seriously.
            I completely agree - it's hard to find a balance between making a general point and making it seem like everyone is the same.

From what you have posted, you are extremely customer focussed - which is what a business should be.

My view is that you aren't a typical small landlord (and that view is undoubtedly affected by my experience here and elsewhere, which is also probably skewed).
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I tend to hate most letting agents. Especially where they exploit people's lack of knowledge or indeed lack knowledge.
              I tend to agree with the point that agents are a big contributor to the negative view of landlords. It is very difficult to find a good agent. They do exist, but even an agency which is good can easily go bad (e.g. due to personnel changes).

My tenants have sometimes suffered the consequences of the actions or inactions of my then-agent, and I feel bad about this.
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

I'd like to point out that in my time I have been a MODEL tenant! In the 80s I rented a flat with my husband, he got posted abroad for six months, accommodation paid, so we kept the London flat and paid the rent and NEVER LIVED THERE AT ALL!!!! The LL loved us!

(She then wanted to retire, and offered us the purchase of a one bedroom flat in a white-stucco house in Notting Hill for £45k. We thought it too expensive....)

Comment

I think sometimes folk can become 'unintended landlords', because they inherit property (parents' etc), but also have their own house, yet don't want to 'lose' the old childhood home or whatever, and so decide to let it out instead. The tenants exist almost simply to pay the council tax etc so keeping the house doesn't cost the owner anything, rather than relying on rent as 'income'.

That's happened to me, and in the end I've opted for going the FHL (Furnished Holiday Let) route (luckily its in a holiday-maker part of the UK), for various reasons, including the hovering nightmare of a bad tenant I can't get rid of who wrecks the place, but also because as an FHL the property isn't 'lost' to me entirely in terms of usage, so I can stay there in unlet or winter weeks etc.

That said, FHL isn't a walk in the park either - there is, alas, no 'easy money' to be had from property (or anything??)

Comment

It is interesting how LLs have to be upto date on all the legislation but many tenants don't read the AST or expect to have to abide by the terms when it no longer suits them!

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                      I completely agree - it's hard to find a balance between making a general point and making it seem like everyone is the same.

From what you have posted, you are extremely customer focussed - which is what a business should be.

My view is that you aren't a typical small landlord (and that view is undoubtedly affected by my experience here and elsewhere, which is also probably skewed).
                      If anything my wife is more focused on providing a home than short term profit.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                        It is interesting how LLs have to be upto date on all the legislation but many tenants don't read the AST or expect to have to abide by the terms when it no longer suits them!
                        Tell me about it.

I suspect that one couple split up, because they disagreed about telling me of changes that they had already made.

Decorating without asking (to be fair I would have agreed to one room and if that was okay, would have agreed to further rooms, and the colours and quality were spot on)
                        Adding a decking area...they phoned me up.to ask permission...And I'm sure he'd done it already.
                        And when I hesitated saying I needed to take advice, you could hear a pin drop on the phone.
                        To be fair the quality of the work made me very easy going on other aspects of the check out.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                          Anyone in business has to comply with the relevant legislation.

It is not only tenants who only comply with the tenancy terms when it suits them. Something like a third of properties let in the private sector need work doing to them.

Comment

Decorating without asking
                            Tenancy agreements never used to require the tenant to ask for permission to decorate. Now of course no landlord wants to find when a tenant leaves that the walls are painted black, so by all means rule out dark colours. Equally, no landlord wants a botched job, but it is unreasonable (and probably now an unfair term) to require the tenant to have the work done professionally. If a landlord is ultra-comcerned he should prohibit decoration by the tenant and take on the responsibility himself at his own expense.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Nailed it right there. The rest of the post is filled with political bitterness, half truths, wishful thinking and downright nonsense.

I'm guessing you've no practical experience of ever being a UK landlord nor even a tenant since the 1970's and you've not lived in this country for decades.
                              -It's like listening to someone explain how to drive a F1 car when the closest they've ever come is riding a bicycle.

Give the Housing Price Crash website a rest for a few days, it's not a true reflection of renting in the UK.
                              I thought I would be a bit polemical for a change.

I was a tenant for many years in the UK and am once again in Spain. I have never had a bad landlord. I have no personal axe to grind. I have never been a landlord, but with 30 years as a lawyer followed by 15 years posting on legal forums I have more than a passing familiarity with the problems landlords face - and of course the problems that tenants face.

Comment

One thing that gets me is also the reporting bias, its' never "lying tenants con landlords out of £'000" it's only ever greedy landlord, slum landlord. council/government must do something. I saved for 14 years living at home with my parents to by my first place and it came at a price (mental health) and lost opportunities being 32 and saying you live with you parents :-/ but I made it and bought in an undesirable part of London.

But that was the sacrifice it took, meanwhile my friends were partying it up and buying cars and designer clothes. Now they are suffering and have that sort of landlord why can't i buy hate.

Do you feel that its people that have missed out on the opportunity or don't want to accept the truth eg they can't afford to live in London that have that resentment about them?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X