Next steps on Housing Crisis by Conservative government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next steps on Housing Crisis by Conservative government

Today's Queen's speech mentioned reduction in the price of housing for first time buyers 'within the local area'. I wonder what they mean by this, exactly.. and what the plan is? Hopefully it's not an incarnation of McDonnell's killer right-to-buy pledge!

Thoughts?

"by making homes available at discount for local first time buyers" I wonder who is liable for the payment of the discount? If it's housebuilders then would they only offer to non-local buyers? or to non-first time buyers? If it's private sales does the private homeowner have to give the discount?

Comment

This is what I was wondering!

Comment

Like nearly all the stuff in the manifestos a load of ill-thought horse poo

Comment

Well, that depends what they actually do!

Comment

I thought this bit was rather more worrying. I was hoping it was so far down the priority list it would drop off the bottom.
            'New measures will be brought forward to protect tenants and to improve building safety.'

Comment

It is likely to be "the taxpayer will subsidise the buyer".

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                I thought this bit was rather more worrying. I was hoping it was so far down the priority list it would drop off the bottom.
                'New measures will be brought forward to protect tenants and to improve building safety.'
                That sounds to me like high-rise stuff, following Grenfell.

Comment

No problem with that, no one wants to see another Grenfell. But isn't 'protect tenants' likely to abolishing s21?

Comment

Originally posted by MdeB View Post

That sounds to me like high-rise stuff, following Grenfell.
                    I think there are two completely different issues. I think the safety one might well be for all blocks of flats, given the current failures to enforce the current law.

Comment

Here's (slightly) more detail
                      https://assets.publishing.service.go...fing_notes.pdf
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you stop the uncontrolled flow of economic migrants flooding into the U.K. ( hopefully by exiting the E.U. ) and those that are here, who are not U.K. citizens, will be told to go home.
                        A vast percentage come here, get on benefits after a year, and live off the state.
                        Then there will be enough housing.

Typical Government addressing the secondary problem ( housing ) and not the primary problem ( too many none citizens remaining.)
                        Work visas worked fine before the E.U. intervened.

Comment

Who will do the jobs that the migrants do?
                          Unemployment is at an all time low - there's no one else to do the work.

The only change in immigration as a result of leaving the EU will be that more immigrants will be non-European.
                          There will have to be the same number or more actual immigrants.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You can't trust the unemployment figures, if you do one shift a week for Amazon you're classed as employed! Hopefully new immigration policy will give us more doctors and less baristas!

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
                              You can't trust the unemployment figures
                              Not as exact stats, but, as every government fudges them the same way to keep them low, they're as good a measure as any, even if only as a guide to the trend.

And, in parallel, there are industries in crisis because they can't find workers - agriculture, the NHS (100,000 vacancies) and, just because I know people in the business, we're short of about 10,000 truck and van drivers.

The only people who are now unemployed are people who really want to be, really can't work or who live in the wrong places.

Hopefully new immigration policy will give us more doctors and less baristas!
                              Can't imagine why a doctor would choose to move to the UK to work anymore.
                              I think that ship has sailed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X