X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBinarySheep View Post

That's a good point, how would you approach the situation where the tenant tells you this is the first time that they're renting, when really they've screwed over the last 5 landlords and not paid rent in years? Is there a way to minimise the risk?
    You could ask them to provide proof of addresses over the last 6 years. Bank statements might be one way to do this as you're supposed to keep them for 6 years and the bank will provide duplicates (at a cost).

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I'm just imagining tenants withdrawing their consent to be mentioned by a particular landlord if he leaves a negative review. Rather like 'check a cowboy' in fact.

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    It seems to me that this will only work if the tenants give permission, otherwise you will hit severe data protection issues. Unless the vast majority give permission, and there is some way to distinguish between lack of permission and lack of renting history, I can't see any way of making this work legally.

Leave a comment:

• scot22
    replied
    I respect your attitude and sense in looking for feedback. Perhaps I was not clear that I'm not negative to change but always question.
    In my own main field, education, I've seen millions wasted jumping on hand wagons. In reality which have created more problems and wasted much time.
    Best wishes with creative endeavours.

Leave a comment:

• TheBinarySheep
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Which is why it is commonly recommended to get reference from the landlord before their current one
    That's a good point, how would you approach the situation where the tenant tells you this is the first time that they're renting, when really they've screwed over the last 5 landlords and not paid rent in years? Is there a way to minimise the risk?

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Which is why it is commonly recommended to get reference from the landlord before their current one

Leave a comment:

• TheBinarySheep
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Would you be happy with a site giving reviews of landlords from tenants & agents? If so, set that up then a year later should you still be in operation set up the reviews of tenants website.
    Actually, yes I would be perfectly happy with this. Just as much as tenants can get a bad rep, so can landlords, and why shouldn't tenants be fully aware of the shortcoming of certain landlords and letting agents before 'getting into bed with them'. Granted, my experience as a landlord is limited to a single property, 10 years letting is out and 5 tenants. However, we've gone out of our way to keep tenants happy, and the one bad tenant we have we have court papers as evidence to backup the situation that they were thousands of pounds in arrears.

However, on the flip side I do understand where you are coming from. A tenant could easily give bad reviews of an agency event when they were the cause. But.... isn't this the case with all review 'type' websites on the internet such as Google and Check-a-trade.

In my experience, the currently process involves getting a reference from a previous landlord, but, I've know previous landlords give glowing references just to get rid of a tenant as it benefits them.

I'm not against negative feedback on this idea, in fact you're doing me a favour. but, I want to make sure this isn't just a case of people being negative to change.

Also, to those that have provided feedback, don't apologise. I've been developing software for over 20 years, and I've lost count of how many hours I have wasted on projects that never turned into anything. The purpose of this post was to get some initial feedback from those that have more experience than myself.

Leave a comment:

• theartfullodger
    replied
    Would you be happy with a site giving reviews of landlords from tenants & agents? If so, set that up then a year later should you still be in operation set up the reviews of tenants website.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's a non-starter to me.

A database full of defamation, opinions based around protected characteristics and unsupportable opinions?
    What could possibly go wrong?

Leave a comment:

• scot22
    replied
    What is wrong with the current system ? I am always sceptical of software solutions so confess prejudice. People's circumstances can easily and quickly change.
    why pay for something that doesn't appear to offer anything more ?
    Sorry !

Leave a comment:

• TheBinarySheep
    started a topic App Idea: Tenant Review Website?

App Idea: Tenant Review Website?

I've literally just thought of this app idea this morning, and thought I would ask on here to get an initial idea of its feasibility.

The simple explanation, it would be a place where landlords and agents go to review and rate tenants at the end of their tenancy. I have various thoughts on how to achieve this, via ratings on certain areas with an overall 'risk' score being calculated to give landlords and idea of the risk involve if they wanted to take on a particular tenant.

Landlords and tenants, when looking to take on-board a new tenant, can use the service to see past reviews/references on the tenant to help them make an informed decision and hopefully reduce the risk of loss. Initial thoughts are, landlord looks up tenant by surname and d.o.b, system confirms that there's X amount of references available for that particular tenant, landlord can then pay a small fee to view the references (maybe even combined with a credit check).

Given how straightforward this idea is, I'm sure this has been attempted in the past, or I am sure that there are services already available, but how good are they? A quick google brought up a couple of websites, but nothing that really stood out.

The key to making something like this work is to get as many landlords and letting agents using it as possible. One way to achieve this might be to provide credits each time you leave a review/reference, credits can be built up to receive discount or free purchases.

The biggest obvious concern with all of this is GDPR, I'll need to look into this further as a tool like this would be storing personal information regarding tenants. Whether or not landlords can include permissions as part of the tenancy agreement I don't know, so I would seek legal advice.

The key thing is, before I invest any further effort/time into this, does it have legs? or would I be completely wasting my time.

I'm a software engineer during the week (and a landlord), so I have the necessary skills to design and build the solution, I just need to analyse its feasibility, and if it is a poor idea, move onto the next one.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Shaun

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X