Visit from a Council Jobsworth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visit from a Council Jobsworth

I always try to maintain a neat garden. I have a bus shelter in front of my house about 2' from my holly hedge. When I moved in here in 2005, the hedge was sprawling over the roof of the bus shelter. I have kept it pruned every year at the end of September, except this year it has been too wet so far. Next door also have an enormous holly hedge sprawling over a BT box on the verge which has not been pruned all the time I've lived here.

I just had a knock on the door: 'Was that my hedge?'

'Yes'

'Can you get it clipped, as it is encroaching on the bus shelter?'

'Yes, I've been meaning to, since the end of September, but it's been too wet.'

'Okay, that's fine. It's just that someone complained.'

'Err, if you think mine's bad, what about next door's?'

'Oh, we can't do anything until someone complains'

Below is a picture of my hedge, and next doors.

Seems to me you just got some informal advice, not a formal request to trim the hedge. To be honest I wouldn't have worried about this if I were the council. What really worries me is that they can't do anything proactively, as there are cases near me where the pavement is effectively blocked but the council hasn't spotted that itself.

The man from the council probably had to come out anyway, to evaluate the problem for themselves. From their point of view, handling complaints from the public is going to cost them money, even if they don't justify formal action.

Comment

We quite often (one or twice a year) get notice served on us by local authorities where hedges of tenanted houses have thickened out on to the pavement. They can and do serve formal notice of encroachment on to the highway, especially for some reason the South London Boroughs

Comment

Thanks guys. By the way, did you know where the word 'Jobsworth' comes from? It's from a song back in the 70's. Enjoy:

Comment

FTA: I'm wondering if someone thought next door's hedge belonged to my house. I can't imagine anyone would complain about my hedge.

Comment

I'm never amazed at what some idiots complain about anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
              I'm never amazed at what some idiots complain about anymore.
              Me neither. Fairly certain there are 'jobsworths' everywhere in the world, including on certain forums.

Comment

I would gave said.

No. It's not blocking the pavement, and when it does I will cut it back. Please inform whoever complained that I will not be bullied, and had they asked me personally politely, I might have cut it back.

good bye

Comment

We need Esther Rantzen "That's Life" Jobs Worth awards back on the telly...
                  Thunderbirds are go

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X