Should I change jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I change jobs

Bit of a strange dilemma and I am doing my own head in and I think I need an outsiders view.

So 6 months ago I was offered a job in another bathroom showroom in sales. Money was great, the showroom and staff but it was a logistical nightmare to get too (plus I almost left to go to this place 8 years ago)

Spoke to my boss and he made an offer for me to stay which was in 4 years time he wanted to retire and he would give me the shop for free (nothing in writing) and make some of the changes I wanted in the shop. So I ended up staying because I don't have to work on sats, I can more or less book whatever days off I want and generally do what I want. When work is slow and can deal with my properties at work and even at times catch up on tv.

The place that wanted me the owner has texted me again and again saying I still want you. Where I am now my boss made some small changes but in general has back to his awkward ways and to be honest I am not 100% happy.

I dunno if its an age thing but he most of the time he is awkward and miserable. For example someone will buy a product and mess up the fitting of it and bring it back. You can clearly see what they did wrong and tell them sorry you messed up so you cannot return this item as its not faulty. But he'll take it back and refund it and we've lost money, customers owing money from 12 months ago and won't pay but he won't take any action. And i'll be thinking ffs this is why i'm not getting a pay rise because we are owed money plus everything is on paper in this place nothing at all is digital, even designs are done by hand. Whenever I want to book time off he gets moody and says why do you want it off? (none of your business what I am doing) But then on the plus side half my fuel is paid for, He pays my mobile phone and the money isn't bad for what I am doing and he pays my whole work place pension. Don't ask me how we are doing it but the shop is still going. I've been at this place 19 years now

The other place is all nice,modern and up to date. Everything is computerised and got a good vibe plus its nice to be wanted but I just don't know what to do. I know my boss won't change plus the shop needs a good 20-30k chucking at it as its very dated. My wife was happy with the money on offer but not with me working on sats plus the journey would be 60-90 mins where as at the moment its 30 and if I am late I never get in trouble.

I don't want to do a Phil Countinho and find the dream move turns into a nightmare but then again am I just scared as i've been at the same place since the place age of 19

I am much older than you, but I would value the 10-12 hours not travelling and Saturdays at a premium.
    You can't get that time back.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I agree, stay where you are and work on your portfolio more.

Comment

Looks like i'm going to have to disappoint the other place again lol

Comment

Better the devil you know? I wouldnt trade what sounds like a reasonable place (everywhere has it's irritants) for a long journey, Saturday work and a boss that may change completely once you are there.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Brexit
            craig2222
            I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
            30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            theartfullodger
            Ta. It wasn't meant as a joke...
            https://www.manxforums.com/forums/up...2e0be3e3dd.png...
            19-09-2019, 20:02 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            Macromia
            I am also in a leave voting area (slightly higher than the percentage you give).
            In my area it is largely xenophobia and the false belief that the EU is to blame for all the UK's problems that seems to be behind the leave vote - as well as (in some people) a belief that everything will almost...
            19-09-2019, 17:35 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            jpkeates
            John Redwood really is a moron isn't he?

What is the fascination with the fishing industry? It's less than half of one percent of our economy. It's mostly made up of quota owners who sell them so that other people can use them.

We haven't been self sufficient in food since...
            19-09-2019, 16:40 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            islandgirl
            It is interesting how Remainers always think they are intellectually superior to Leavers and accuse them of "not understanding" things. Many of us do understand and have researched many issues in depth before adopting our position on Brexit; My expectations are modest and realistic but I know...
            19-09-2019, 16:39 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            Kape65
            I live in a leave voting area (64% I think). I guess the majority of my neighbours don't feel like things can get any worse for them than it already is so it's not about what is the most profitable option it's about being free to make our own choices.
            19-09-2019, 16:23 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            Macromia
            I am STILL waiting for anyone who supports leaving the EU to provide a single genuine benefit of doing so (and most demonstrate a poor understanding of how the EU actually functions, what it does, and what the purpose of negotiations to date have been).

I'd have to admit that I didn't initially...
            19-09-2019, 16:15 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            Stacker
            They used to call Britain "Treasure Island", now its all been sold off...what on earth do we own anymore?...
            19-09-2019, 15:58 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            islandgirl
            Macromia you really really believe that the EU has our interests at heart and will treat us fairly even if we are trapped by the awful treaty you discuss above. I have no idea how you can believe that, but you obviously sincerely do. That anyone can say (and truly believe) that we are in a better negotiating...
            19-09-2019, 15:46 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            Macromia
            I don't say that we can "get out of" the withdrawal agreement if it is ratified, and full fact agree with my position.
            What I actually did was confirm that the terms of the withdrawal agreement are binding.

If we agree to the terms of the withdrawal agreement,...
            19-09-2019, 15:27 PM
          Working...
          X