Diary of idiocy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diary of idiocy

Ordered a 2nd hand car last week, so need to rent a garage. I found one on Gumtree, filled in all the agent's forms, and paid 4 months rent. The keys arrived on Saturday, so today I went over there. There is a gate to the area with a padlock & chain, so I was supplied with 2 keys... You guessed it, neither opened the padlock.

I came home annoyed and rang the agent as politely as I could muster. She said: 'Oh they're definitely the right keys, but we'll send you another set'. I'm sure she is too idle to go and check her keys before sending me another set. (Wouldn't fellow landlords be mortified if a tenant could not get into a flat on the first day?) Anyway, we'll see what comes tomorrow.

Second bit of idiocy is the system for taxing a car nowadays:

I bought the car from a dealer in Scotland, and it is being shipped down. Dealer registered the car in my name, but was unable to tax it. The DVLA sent me an email as follows:
    You must tax this vehicle before it is driven on the road, tax now at www.gov.uk/vehicletax.

If you do not want to tax you can make a SORN declaration now at www.gov.uk/sorn.

For more information on driving and transport go to www.gov.uk/browse/driving.

You may wish to save or print this email confirmation for your records.
    However, if you click on the link above to tax your car, enter your reference & number plate, it tells you to go to the post office as you are a new owner!

Of course, I can't go and do this until the car is unloaded, (illegally onto the road in view of it now not being taxed) as the dealer has left the MOT certificate in the car!

Then when I get to the post office, I will have to pay around £30 for their admin, as the car is exempt from road tax.

Give me strength!

Unless things have changed in the last 8 years, you shouldn't have to pay any admin fee at the Post Office(as long as you complete the forms yourself).

I had to go to the Post Office to tax my zero tax car when I first bought and didn't have to pay anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post
      Unless things have changed in the last 8 years, you shouldn't have to pay any admin fee at the Post Office(as long as you complete the forms yourself).

I had to go to the Post Office to tax my zero tax car when I first bought and didn't have to pay anything.
      Thanks Macromia. That's interesting. I'll try to do that.

Comment

Ha. I don't believe this...

The car arrived at 5.30pm last night, so too late to tax it then. This morning, I went over to the post office, to find it had been ram-raided overnight, and the police had crime scene tape across it. Good job I don't need to go anywhere.

Comment

More idiocy today...

I've been to the post office. They referred me back to the DVLA. The DVLA say that the tax class of the car needs to be changed as it is no longer a 'Crown Vehicle'. (It used to belong to the Scottish government.) I have to return my V5C to the DVLA requesting that, and they will take about 4 weeks to process it.

I resisted the temptation to ask: 'Why the hell did you send me a V5C, which I can't use to tax the car?'

Comment

Have you gone and bought Alex Salmonds Bentley?

Comment

I wish.

If it was not already free road tax, and congestion charge, I might have been tempted to leave it as a 'crown vehicle', as they don't seem too bothered about it.

Comment

Ask them if you can have CD plates fitted. LOL.

Is it armour plated? That would shove the petrol consumption up.

Comment

More idiocy today...

DVLA sent me a nasty letter threatening me to 'tax it or lose it'.

BTW, why do TFL require a photostat of the logbook to see if a vehicle is elegible for congestion charge exemption, but for emissions exemption they can tell from the reg no?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Brexit
                    craig2222
                    I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                    30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    jpkeates
                    I don't personally see anything wrong with the EU notion of free movement.
                    You're free to move to work anywhere, and, provided you're employed, you're entitled to all of the same benefits as a national of the country you're working in.
                    If you're not employed, your right to reside elapses...
                    17-10-2019, 08:48 AM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    islandgirl
                    OK so Ram you have tempted me very briefly back in. People used to come and work here BEFORE we joined the EU on work visas. They would come for farm work (family experience of this) from not only the EU but across the world. Getting labour if it is needed is not a problem. The difference is that on...
                    17-10-2019, 08:36 AM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    ram
                    sorry, not correct. But time restrains prevent me from disproving your argument.
                    But whatever anyone writes on here will NOT change how the treasonous Government screw us.[/SIZE]...
                    17-10-2019, 08:18 AM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    jpkeates
                    The flaw in that argument is that there is currently negative unemployment in the UK.

There are thousands of unfilled jobs, 50,000 in the NHS alone (mostly for non medical positions) and the number of unemployed people is so low that its made up of people who can't or won't work (plus the...
                    17-10-2019, 07:39 AM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    ram
                    Well, the building sites will eventually have British workers on them ( more jobs for the indigenous people ).
                    No more closing down of bus companies because they replaced bus drivers with foreigners who could not read road signs, which made them dangerous drivers ( look it up) so more jobs for...
                    16-10-2019, 23:47 PM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    islandgirl
                    Nope, not enough there to tempt me back!
                    16-10-2019, 22:44 PM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    Macromia
                    I'm for a future where the Uk's government, and the voting public in the UK, can directly influence our future and we retain as many freedoms as possible and have the best possible trade opportunities.

This means remaining in the EU.
                    Leaving the EU really doesn't give the UK more...
                    16-10-2019, 19:56 PM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    islandgirl
                    I give up! You either get it or you don't. You are either for a future of our choice or a future of choices made by a super-expensive group of non- accountable bureaucrats. As I say, I give up. For now....
                    16-10-2019, 19:20 PM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    Macromia
                    So you'll know that many businesses have narrow profit margins and/or rely on deliveries being on time (both into and out of the business).
                    Most businesses can cope with occasional interruptions in supply (e.g. a few days as a result of weather/strikes), although they may take a financial hit...
                    16-10-2019, 18:01 PM
                  Working...
                  X