Youtube unwatchable after power cut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youtube unwatchable after power cut

We never had the power cut here in Reading. However since then, my broadband has been at best half speed, and most of the time about a tenth of the usual speed. Youtube goes down to 240 p, and I keep trying to clean my glasses thinking they are smeared.

Anyone else similarly effected? Is there any cure?

(I have turned everything off and on again several times, but it makes no difference.)

You may not have been affected, but your broadband service provider may have been.

If they had the power cut then their equipment would have switched to alternative power, usually big rechargable batteries known as uninterruptible power supplies.

When that happens then the equipment would automatically restrict connection speeds etc. to conserve the battery power, because they would have no idea how long the power would be off for.
    (A bit like your phone or laptop going into low battery moder, dimming the screen and so on to save power).

Once the power is restored then it may take a while (hours or even days) for the backup batteries to be recahrged and for the connection speeds to be reset to normal.
    Depending on the type of equipment in use they may even have to log onto the servers and reset them manually.

Comment

I would report it to your broadband supplier. Things may be different now but when mine did this a couple of years ago they had to do something to restore it to the previous speed.

Comment

Much of Youtube starts off pretty unwatchable.

My "rural broadband" is rubbish, so perhaps the government has decided to level the playing field between towns and cities in an innovative way by crippling the service available in urban areas?
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Not that this is the cause, but de-fragment your hard disk, as things that should have been saved once you finish a software program ( Internet browser ) have not been saved.
          And you should do this every month.
          Don't run any programmes, or use computer while de-fragmenting.
          Preferably disable your screen saver and hibernating function. Don't want it hibernating half way through de-fragmenting, now do we ?

Also, our router instructions state that it takes a while to find the best speeds, and that optimum speed may not be obtained for a few weeks, so maybe that has been reset ( inadvertently ) as well.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unconscious humour from posters
            jta
            It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
            01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
          • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
            JK0
            Poor confused American kids. See video:

'What do we want? Climate Change! When do we want it? Now!'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-...-for-the-cause
            21-09-2019, 08:21 AM
          • Brexit
            craig2222
            I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
            30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            islandgirl
            It really is not complicated. The UK cannot leave the withdrawal agreement without the EUs permission. Therefore we could be stuck in it forever if we cannot agree on all matters. The EU will decide when and if to release us. If you think that acceptable Marcomia then there is, indeed, no hope and no...
            20-09-2019, 18:30 PM
          • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
            JK0
            Is that a euphamism for the landlord? ...
            20-09-2019, 16:27 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            Macromia
            Far from it.
            Withdrawing from the EU at all is not in the best interests of the UK, but if we are going to do so (despite the fact that there are no clear benefits from leaving - at least, none that 'leave' supporters seem able to provide and justify) leaving with a withdrawal deal in place, like...
            20-09-2019, 14:08 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            jpkeates
            But Argentina didn't go bankrupt in the sense that a company did.
            Argentina is still there, it recovered and has repaid most of the debt it initially defaulted on.

Again, Zimbabwe is currently restructuring its currency and debt.

Newspapers and other media talk about...
            20-09-2019, 12:05 PM
          • Reply to Brexit
            ram

Sorry, you are wrong.
            I have already stated that Argentina went bankrupt, and people could not get their cash out of the banks.

Zimbabwe . In June 2019, the official inflation rate was 97.9%. Because the country is bankrupt.
            In June 2009, the rate of inflation
            20-09-2019, 11:33 AM
          • Reply to Brexit
            jpkeates
            I know that countries pay interest on their loans (I even mentioned that in my post - that the cost of borrowing varies with the situation the country finds itself in).

But the UK can't go out of business or become bankrupt like a company (and if it did start to wobble, the impact on the...
            20-09-2019, 10:58 AM
          • Reply to Brexit
            ram

If you think that countries don't have to pay interest on their loans, then you are misguided.

The U.S.A. and U.K. have massive loans, with massive interest payments, which you and i are paying for.
            The government has no money themselves, as it's our money they take
            20-09-2019, 09:03 AM
          Working...
          X