Secure Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Secure Key

If you bank on your desktop PC like me, rather than a smartphone, from September you will have to use a pin sentry gadget for every transaction. This is such a faff! Mine requires my pin to switch it on, then enter the code in the pc to log in. Then if I want to pay a new payee, I have to enter my pin again, and get a 6 digit code to enter when I enter the other details.

WTF!

Anyone found a way round this? I can't believe how long winded it is.

Doesnt that depend on who you bank with? I think I may have to enter a texted code.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
      Doesnt that depend on who you bank with? I think I may have to enter a texted code.
      I think you may find things change in September.

Comment

I quite like the PIN sentry system but then I don't pay out very often. Logging in for me is just enter PIN once, easier than trying to remember passwords!

Comment

At least one bank hasn't issued these, and, I think intends to use SMS codes.

This is about two factor authentication. The PIN devices require a (password and) PIN (factor one) and physical possession of the card (factor 2).

There are actually two types of device. Most banks use one that is basically just a terminal to access the card, but one, I think, uses a device that generates a time dependent sequence of codes.

For the SMS ones, it is the physical possession of the phone SIM that is the second factor.

Comment

I have an iPhone and my bank app uses the fingerprint sensor for access and generating codes.
            Which is easier than using a pin number each time.

2 factor verification using a sim is a really stupid idea, but it's the best anyone's come up with.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

In respect of my Spanish bank account:

To get into it I have to enter my username (which I can ask the bank to change at any time) and a password which I can also change.

To make a payment I have a unique card with a grid. If I want to make a payment I have to read off a three digit number from a cell in the grid and enter it. I also have to enter a separate code which the bank sends to me by text. I am happy to do all that it if stops someone raiding my bank account.

Also, if I make a significant purchase by card the bank sends me a text informing me of the transaction.

Comment

These sorts of banking dongles are pretty secure - so what's not to like? They are far more secure than mechanisms operating via phones for 2FA (Sim swaps scams etc can lead to massive vulnerability).

Comment

It's a problem for some who wear glasses. I have to take mine off to read the secure key, and put them back on again to enter the numbers on my computer.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                    It's a problem for some who wear glasses. I have to take mine off to read the secure key, and put them back on again to enter the numbers on my computer.
                    Yes I agree that's an issue with some banking dongle things. But the specific design is a different issue -- my HSBC ones are rather fiddly (but can be easily carried around).

Comment

The HSBC secure key gives a whole new meaning to the word fiddly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                        The HSBC secure key gives a whole new meaning to the word fiddly.
                        That's the thing I've got, and why I'm annoyed.

Comment

I use the HSBC app on my phone in place of the HSBC supplied "thingy".
                          It uses the fingerprint recognition for my phone in place of a password, so it's much quicker.
                          When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                          Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The fingerprint recoginition in my phone is not entirely satisfactory, so I do not use it.

Comment

When I was working, I had to have a pin code protected phone, so I got used to entering a PIN all the time.
                              The fingerprint recognition works better than entering digits quickly, but it it's OK, rather than good.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X