Microsoft CRITICAL Patches ‘Wormable’ Flaw in Windows XP, 7, 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft CRITICAL Patches ‘Wormable’ Flaw in Windows XP, 7, 2003

Microsoft today ( 14 May 2019 ) is taking the unusual step of releasing security updates for unsupported but still widely-used Windows operating systems like XP and Windows 2003, citing the discovery of a “wormable” flaw that the company says could be used to fuel a fast-moving malware threat like the WannaCry ransomware attacks of 2017.

update CVE-2019-0708 does not affect Microsoft’s latest operating systems — Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, or Windows Server 2012.

See krebsonsecurity.com/2019/05/microsoft-patches-wormable-flaw-in-windows-xp-7-and-windows-2003/
    where this update is available, and link is support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4500705/customer-guidance-for-cve-2019-0708

My update was automatic ( via other software instigating the update ) and took appox 30 minutes
    Most of it was for .Net Framework.

• ram
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
    Ram,
    I think you can claim cost of replacing "defective software" or even a new desktop as operating expense

Maybe give it a try sometime. thanks.

Even with windows 3.1, And before that, Dos 5.0 ( no windows ) I had spreadsheets, databases, word processors, fax card, and everything was wonderful.
    Now, printers don't work if you have some of the latest Windows.
    Never used to happen before Microsoft wanted to control EVERYTHING.
    get a printer, load the 5.25 or 3.5 floppy, and instant printer, fa and sound.

Now the boring bit.
    My first computer - 1990 had 1 MB ram, 10mb hard disk. 20 Mhz.
    286 computer best for internet in 1996.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Ram,

You are correctly doing your duty to inform LZforum old members still working in "xp mode" about this patch..

I think you can claim cost of replacing "defective software" or even a new desktop as operating expense against the rental income because HMRC are pushing for tax returns to be submitted online.

Leave a comment:

• alice123
    replied
    had a problem with outlook but then it was fixed - im on windows Xp cant afford to get anything new

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    So the people running above O.S. and keeping records of their rental portfolio, lists of rental and leaseholder accounts are, in your words, not eligible to know their systems could be compromised.

The update is SO important, that computers that cannot receive updates, because Microsoft have stopped doing updates for their systems, are being updated automatically ( as mine was ) as the threat is classed as CRITICAL. - - - YES CRITICAL, AND You don't want anyone to know about it.

Also, seems my post was moved from the lease and rental forum to "Take a Break - for the less serious" !
    So a serious critical, once only patch, that Microsoft initiated a world wide forced download is deemed not worthy to investors, property owners, leaseholders, letting agents etc etc.

Then so be it.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    This Forum is not an advice line for OS updates.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X