X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• craig2222
    started a topic Brexit

Brexit

I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance

• islandgirl
    replied
    Great news for exporters!

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    Our GBP has fallen to a low rate against USD. I hope our UK banks ( saved in 2008 by the tax payers money ) are not offering fx shorting services to the speculators.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

Actually I think it takes little effort. The problem with the Brexit scenario is that it has neatly sidestepped any actual discussion of economic policy - so the policy and ideas/ideals of nutcases is not really being discussed - a major failure. However apart from a few of our more privileged naive children in London, most sensible people realise the danger of allowing fools like Corbyn or any of his Marxist racist chronies with ideas from the planet Zog to control the tiller. Even Greece is starting to come to its senses.
    I'm neither naive, a child or a Londoner - but Corbyn's economic policy might be better for this country than either incompetent lizzard..

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    One of the problems with politics (and I'm referring both to the parties/candidates and to the beliefs of the voters) is that people think that they have to be strongly on one side or another, when the reality is that the middle ground is best for most issues.

That doesn't mean 'sitting on the fence' as Corbyn has done on the Brexit issue though. If a centralist position is best for the country, then that is what the politicians should be supporting (and what I would hope that voters would chose).

However, in the case of Brexit there isn't really any acceptable compromise. The choices are "In" or "Out", with options that leave us out of the EU but still following EU rules clearly worse than remaining in the EU and having a say about what those rules are.
    What 'leavers' refuse to accept is the fact that UK businesses will continue to be bound by EU rules if they want to trade with EU countries, regardless of whether or not we are in or out.

Leave a comment:

• AndrewDod
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    It's amazing to me that given the current mess the conservatives are in and the existence of a brexit party, labour is managing to lose support.

It takes some serious effort to do that.
    Actually I think it takes little effort. The problem with the Brexit scenario is that it has neatly sidestepped any actual discussion of economic policy - so the policy and ideas/ideals of nutcases is not really being discussed - a major failure. However apart from a few of our more privileged naive children in London, most sensible people realise the danger of allowing fools like Corbyn or any of his Marxist racist chronies with ideas from the planet Zog to control the tiller. Even Greece is starting to come to its senses.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Well to quote one of Corbyn's own MPs “If he vacillates and sits on the fence, I’m afraid he is going to get splinters in places he doesn’t want.”

I'm old enough to remember Michael Foot and the "longest suicide note in history", Corbyn is an even bigger disaster for the Labour Party, although a gift to the Lib Dems.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    It's amazing to me that given the current mess the conservatives are in and the existence of a brexit party, labour is managing to lose support.

It takes some serious effort to do that.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Labour's policy on Brexit, which was voted for at conference, is for a second referendum.
    Mr Corbyn is currently ignoring that policy with which he doesn't agree.
    Why should any other policy be any different?

That said, compulsory purchase of rental properties isn't going to happen either.
    Ignoring a policy and being able to implement a policy are quite different. Ignoring policy he can get away with as long as his power base will continue to support him regardless - and opinion polls suggest there are fewer of them daily. Implementing a policy requires his MPs to vote for it.

But I agree that suggesting compulsory might happen is just delusional or scaremongering.

I will not be voting for a lizard. Voting for "none of the above" should be on all ballot papers, with a rerun (with different candidates) if it gets a majority of the votes.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
    My understanding is that Labour Party policies have to go before its conference for a vote. I really doubt any proposal for compulsory purchase of land under privately owned houses would get through that - or that Corbyn is daft enough to put it forward.
    Labour's policy on Brexit, which was voted for at conference, is for a second referendum.
    Mr Corbyn is currently ignoring that policy with which he doesn't agree.
    Why should any other policy be any different?

That said, compulsory purchase of rental properties isn't going to happen either.

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
    which incompetent idiot will you vote for?
    I think I've posted this before; it's from The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy:

Ford explained, “On [that] world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.”

“Odd,” said Arthur, “I thought you said it was a democracy.”

“I did,” said ford. “It is.”

“So,” said Arthur, hoping he wasn’t sounding ridiculously obtuse, “why don’t the people get rid of the lizards?”

“It honestly doesn’t occur to them,” said Ford. “They’ve all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they’ve voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.”

“You mean they actually vote for the lizards?”

“Oh yes,” said Ford with a shrug, “of course.”

“But,” said Arthur, going for the big one again, “why?”

“Because if they didn’t vote for a lizard,” said Ford, “the wrong lizard might get in.

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    My understanding is that Labour Party policies have to go before its conference for a vote. I really doubt any proposal for compulsory purchase of land under privately owned houses would get through that - or that Corbyn is daft enough to put it forward. I'm not sure that the position paper being referred to here has even got as far as becoming Labour Party policy.

The government of the country is soon going to be entrusted either to someone who wants to destroy the NHS or to someone who was fired from the Times for lying, has been rebuked by the official statistics body for lying, who blamed Liverpool fans for Hillsborough. He isnt even a competent liar, since he keeps getting caught. Now that is related to Brexit - which incompetent idiot will you vote for?

Leave a comment:

• basiltumble
    replied
    i did and i would not change my vote

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Originally posted by Okra88
    Didn't vote and would change my mind
    I'm not sure if that is very profound or just a sad indictment of the whole situation we find ourselves in.

Leave a comment:

• islandgirl
    replied
    Apologies JKO lets get back to Brexit.....

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X