Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised to be in agreement with you Art.

Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    With covid I'm acutely aware the elderly have arguably had a better deal than those younger. Sorry folks, not my decision.
    Probably the best decision at the time.

But how to redress the balance?

Winter Fuel Payment for mansion owners? Bus passes for Bentley owners? State pension freeze? Free (for all) prescriptions? Scrap the TV licence?

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
      IFree (for all) prescriptions?
      A bit off topic, but for anyone taking regular medication and is under 60, it's possible to buy a prescription pre-payment certificate, which costs £108.10 for 12 months of all the medication you normally pay £9.35 a pop for.
      If you take more than one type of medication it's a real saving - and I didn't know such a thing existed until the lady serving me in the pharmacy suggested I try it.

A not very well publicised benefit (and useless to me now as I'm older than 60).
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Used this for a while for a relative - and you can also get a 3 month one if you can't afford the year
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Alternatively move to Wales . . . 🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
            I understand how the system supposedly works, it's a legal ponzi scheme, however I have paid for my pension nobody else. If I hadn't paid I wouldn't get a pension. And if immigration stopped today I would still get my pension.
            I wouldn't bank on it. Look at what has happened to women, the goalposts moved without enough time to add sufficiently to their pension pot to make up the shortfall.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post

I wouldn't bank on it. Look at what has happened to women, the goalposts moved without enough time to add sufficiently to their pension pot to make up the shortfall.
              You only need to make 35 years of full contributions and, in theory, you have roughly 47 years to make them. Surely women were given more time to add to their pot.

Comment

The change in Women's pensions was to increase the age at which pensions started from 60 to 65. And the way it was introduced was badly done - no one told the women who would be affected - so if you didn't follow changes in legislation you wouldn't have known, and the phased introduction was sped up suddenly a few years ago, so that women born a few months apart had 4 or 5 years difference in pensionable age.

So it wasn't so much that the people affected didn't have time to make up any shortfall, but it was a fairly dramatic change made that affected their pensions, that they were probably unaware of and, in many cases, would have had very little time to make an top ups that were necessary.

As someone who won't start getting a pension until I'm 67, I have a lot of sympathy. Those two years are quite a lot of money and quite a lot of my life expectancy.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X