Brexit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Slog tickled me yesterday:
    Before we get into the meat of this one, let me just point out one insight that may have passed people by. There is very obviously a widespread psychographic of risk-averse hypochandriacs abroad in the British population. You only have to look at the ease with which these easily frightened folks soaked up the Brexit…

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      The Slog tickled me yesterday:
      The slog is amusing - but only because the articles are so far removed from reality, and it's amusing (and somewhat depressing) that people can be so deluded.

The linked article, for instance, implies that vaccines are bad and that the people vulnerable to Covid 19 can get 85% protection if 'herd immunity' is pursued.
      The problem with that is that herd immunity has only ever been obtained in two ways:
      1. Vaccination programs where ~80% or more of the population are vaccinated.
      2. After a disease has already killed off ~90%, or more, of those who are succeptible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post

Rubbish! You make it sound like all you have to do to get a British passport is to train as a fruit picker. How about improving the wages and working conditions to entice British workers, instead of expecting them to work for peanuts and live in a shitty caravan with 10 people they've never met before..
        Conditions for ​any worker expected to "work for peanuts and live in a shitty caravan..." should be improved.
        That's not what Brexit was ever about though.

Increasing wages for fruit picking to the level where enough British workers will be willing to do what is a very physical job, will mean that prices for British fruit and veg would rise considerably - and the result would be higher prices in the shops and/or cheaper imported fruut and veg being bought instead, leading to British farming becoming uncompetitive.

I'm still waiting to be told a single benefit that we will see from Brexit (a real one, not a claim that can be shown to be false with about five minutes of fact checking).

Comment

Seasonal workers will still come over as they did pre EU and throughout the EU years.(from outside the EU). Remember when students went grape picking in France? Rite of passage!
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
            Seasonal workers will still come over as they did pre EU and throughout the EU years.(from outside the EU).
            Except that isn't happening, because you can't get a work visa from outside the EU (or in the EU post December) unless the job you're coming to meets certain criteria, and most seasonal work doesn't
            Remember when students went grape picking in France? Rite of passage!
            Yes, another benefit lost because of Brexit.
            The free movement of labour which allowed people to do that was an EU thing.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Except that I know fruit farmers who did it every year and brought in workers from outside the EU...and people did grape picking even before we joined! The sky will not fall down, don't worry
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X