Brexit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    It does not say that there will not be compulsory purchase of the land underneath existing houses..indeed that is the logical next step.
    No, that's not the logical next step - it's a claim that's been plucked out of thin air.

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
    ...and Mr M as I pointed out this does relate to Brexit in that there could be another election in order for the House of Commons to "allow" Brexit therefore it does relate though I am happy for it to be more widely seen so that others know the danger Corbyn poses.
    I disagree, it doesn't relate to Brexit at all.

There will be another general election in 3 years or less regardless of Brexit, and party policies (including policies that are actually related to Brexit) might be what voters use to decide who they will vote for. There is nothing to suggest that this proposal is related to Brexit in any way whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

The combined price for the land & property will be set by the seller - the same way it is now (and similarly subject to any bargaining that might take place).
      The amount that the land is considered to be worth will be set by the Trust, as will the amount that will be payable each month for rent (with the remainder of the total the seller wants being the price the buyer will have to pay). The buyer then gets to decide whether to accept (1) That the total price is reasonable; (2) that they are happy with the proposed value for the land, and (3) that they find the rent they will be expected to pay for the land to be acceptable. If they don't accept any of this they are free to walk away and look elsewhere (as with any purchase of a property/lease in a capitalist society).

Similarly, if the seller doesn't like the amount they are being offered, they don't have to sell (as long as they can afford to hold out for a better offer). Again, exactly the same as for any sale now.

he only people who will potentially be losing out are the people who need to buy property this way because they can't get on the property ladder any other way (because, in the long run, it is an expensive way to buy a property) - and for them it is likely a better option than continuing to rent properties where they have no ownership at all.
      Not quite. If there is a virtual monopoly buyer of the land, that buyer will set the market price.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

Not quite. If there is a virtual monopoly buyer of the land, that buyer will set the market price.
        No, not at all.

The market price is whatever people think the property and land are worth together.
        If the land is undervalued, the price for the property itself becomes higher.
        If the land is overvalued, the price for the property becomes lower.

It's possible that, if this proposal is ever introduced, there might be an effect on overall property prices, but that's nothing new, the property market already has ups and downs.

Comment

When I posted the Labour plans I knew Mr M would think they were fair and appropriate. I was right! Anyway lets see what the Leadership election brings today...
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Macromia View Post

No, not at all.

The market price is whatever people think the property and land are worth together.
            If the land is undervalued, the price for the property itself becomes higher.
            If the land is overvalued, the price for the property becomes lower.

It's possible that, if this proposal is ever introduced, there might be an effect on overall property prices, but that's nothing new, the property market already has ups and downs.
            You do talk some lefty nonsense. I'm out.

Comment

Apologies JKO lets get back to Brexit.....
              Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Okra88
                Didn't vote and would change my mind
                I'm not sure if that is very profound or just a sad indictment of the whole situation we find ourselves in.

Comment

i did and i would not change my vote

Comment

My understanding is that Labour Party policies have to go before its conference for a vote. I really doubt any proposal for compulsory purchase of land under privately owned houses would get through that - or that Corbyn is daft enough to put it forward. I'm not sure that the position paper being referred to here has even got as far as becoming Labour Party policy.

The government of the country is soon going to be entrusted either to someone who wants to destroy the NHS or to someone who was fired from the Times for lying, has been rebuked by the official statistics body for lying, who blamed Liverpool fans for Hillsborough. He isnt even a competent liar, since he keeps getting caught. Now that is related to Brexit - which incompetent idiot will you vote for?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                      which incompetent idiot will you vote for?
                      I think I've posted this before; it's from The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy:

Ford explained, “On [that] world, the people are people. The leaders are lizards. The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people.”

“Odd,” said Arthur, “I thought you said it was a democracy.”

“I did,” said ford. “It is.”

“So,” said Arthur, hoping he wasn’t sounding ridiculously obtuse, “why don’t the people get rid of the lizards?”

“It honestly doesn’t occur to them,” said Ford. “They’ve all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they’ve voted in more or less approximates to the government they want.”

“You mean they actually vote for the lizards?”

“Oh yes,” said Ford with a shrug, “of course.”

“But,” said Arthur, going for the big one again, “why?”

“Because if they didn’t vote for a lizard,” said Ford, “the wrong lizard might get in.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                        My understanding is that Labour Party policies have to go before its conference for a vote. I really doubt any proposal for compulsory purchase of land under privately owned houses would get through that - or that Corbyn is daft enough to put it forward.
                        Labour's policy on Brexit, which was voted for at conference, is for a second referendum.
                        Mr Corbyn is currently ignoring that policy with which he doesn't agree.
                        Why should any other policy be any different?

That said, compulsory purchase of rental properties isn't going to happen either.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                          Labour's policy on Brexit, which was voted for at conference, is for a second referendum.
                          Mr Corbyn is currently ignoring that policy with which he doesn't agree.
                          Why should any other policy be any different?

That said, compulsory purchase of rental properties isn't going to happen either.
                          Ignoring a policy and being able to implement a policy are quite different. Ignoring policy he can get away with as long as his power base will continue to support him regardless - and opinion polls suggest there are fewer of them daily. Implementing a policy requires his MPs to vote for it.

But I agree that suggesting compulsory might happen is just delusional or scaremongering.

I will not be voting for a lizard. Voting for "none of the above" should be on all ballot papers, with a rerun (with different candidates) if it gets a majority of the votes.

Comment

It's amazing to me that given the current mess the conservatives are in and the existence of a brexit party, labour is managing to lose support.

It takes some serious effort to do that.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Well to quote one of Corbyn's own MPs “If he vacillates and sits on the fence, I’m afraid he is going to get splinters in places he doesn’t want.”

I'm old enough to remember Michael Foot and the "longest suicide note in history", Corbyn is an even bigger disaster for the Labour Party, although a gift to the Lib Dems.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                                It's amazing to me that given the current mess the conservatives are in and the existence of a brexit party, labour is managing to lose support.

It takes some serious effort to do that.
                                Actually I think it takes little effort. The problem with the Brexit scenario is that it has neatly sidestepped any actual discussion of economic policy - so the policy and ideas/ideals of nutcases is not really being discussed - a major failure. However apart from a few of our more privileged naive children in London, most sensible people realise the danger of allowing fools like Corbyn or any of his Marxist racist chronies with ideas from the planet Zog to control the tiller. Even Greece is starting to come to its senses.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X