Brexit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

It's nine months till Christmas, Buzzard. Get your chestnut order in early.
    Harvest is something like September to November - maybe they'll all be through the queues by Christmas but priority is likely to still be given to medicines and fresh food. Perhaps our incompetent government will have got some extra ferry contracts then,perhaps not. Of course the pound would drop again if there was a hard Brexit so they will cost more if available.

Dont like them so not my problem personally,if I liked them I'd be looking for a tree to forage.

Comment

A price worth paying as far as I am concerned. Anyone for a chorus of "There'll be Project Fear over the whilte cliffs of Dover"? Though come to think of it anyone afraid of being without chestnuts has a very empty life!
      Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
        A price worth paying as far as I am concerned. Anyone for a chorus of "There'll be Project Fear over the whilte cliffs of Dover"? Though come to think of it anyone afraid of being without chestnuts has a very empty life!
        Project fear may become project Face Reality. We can not physically get the goods we need to import through Dover with the extra delays caused by customs checks.No-one has just proposed a workable solution to that problem and such solutions as there are ( waving lorries through, paying for extra ferry services ) will only partly deal with the issue. Therefore the need to prioritise medicines - so Brexit doesnt actually kill anyone in the first month - and then fresh food.Supermarkets are dropping their quality standards and we can waste less and if necessary ration what is available. Still havent seen an answer to how we are supposed to fill the current gap between what we eat and what we grow for the next year or so.Thereafter perhaps there will be new trade deals, perhaps our farmers and fishermen can produce more - but that is all hope, not a plan, and it doesnt cover the next year.

If there is a no deal Brexit we'll have to fill the food gap any way we can - and that might include chestnuts, if someone else doesnt beat you to them.

Comment

But in the real world there will be no serious shortages. Medicines have been planned for. Supermarkets are certainly sorted - profits are at stake. Good old capitalism will ensure there are very few issues. The answer to the question of "how we are supposed to fill the current gap between what we eat and what we grow for the next year or so" is simple. The way we do now.

Comment

Medicines have been planned for. Supermarkets are certainly sorted - profits are at stake. Good old capitalism will ensure there are very few issues.
            This may be some of the most scary notions I have seen.

Medicines are not "planned for" in the event of no deal. The government has started to stockpile some of the most critical medicines to prevent a shortage immediately after a hard brexit. But that's of essential medication that normally comes in daily from Europe. Non-essential medication isn't being stockpiled - which sucks if you rely on it for something that isn't actually life threatening, but which makes life more tolerable.
            And some medical supplies don't have a plan. We're leaving the Euratom as well as the EU, so no one can sell us radioactive material, which isn't great news if you need it to arrest cancer, or want an xray.
            And transporting radioactive material from anywhere other than mainland europe if we are able to set up our own accredited body isn't exactly challenge free.

Supermarkets aren't sorted. The government's own projections show food shortages (starting in Scotland and Northern Ireland) with a few days. There isn't enough warehouse space to allow stockpiling and a lot of things can't be stockpiled because they spoil.

And because "profits are at stake" any additional cost is going to be passed on to the consumer. The pound wil be weaker, so any import would cost more and tariffs on food mean it will simply be more expensive. And the big supermarkets know an opportunity when they see one - if the pound and tariffs are adding 30p to a packet of bacon, an extra 5p is hardly going to be noticed*.

And very little consideration is given to things that we'll essentiall not have at all. If the volume of goods coming through customs drops because the time taken per lorry increases by even a few minutes, lots of things we currently take for granted won't arrive at all. No one's going to prioritise flowers or olive oil, which are pretty non-essential, but do make life nicer.

It's all solvable, but in the interim, it will be much worse than now and calling this "project fear" doesn't make it go away. Any reasonable plan should address the issues first so people's lives aren't damaged.

*And there are thousands of people in the UK dependent on food banks. Which rely on donations, which will dry up significantly.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You are of course entitled to your view JP which I respect but I think entirely the opposite is true. It is also a new one on me to equate food bank supplies with Brexit but I suppose project fear have tried everything else so far! What next I wonder? Coronation Street down to 1 episode a week horror due to Brexit?
              However I think that given that Bercow is a die-hard remainer and would not have done what he has done if he thought there was any way it would lead to Brexit then I doubt that my version of events will ever have the chance to come to pass. However it is a sad day when you put a bunch of flowers before freedom.

Comment

I will (personally) gain absolutely zero additional "freedom" from leaving the EU and neither will you.

Can you name anything that we will gain that improves our quality of life in any meaningful way?

Coronation Street down to one episode almost did it, though!
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The subject of this talk is the United States. I think a lot of it applies to the UK also:

Comment

Very interesting. A bit over dramatic and over the top but there is a backlash. I suppose David Lammy's fuss about Comic Relief that cost it £8 million this year shows it is here too. It is so sad to see so much division. The "Elites" have a lot to answer for (cue link to Brexit!)

Comment

Wonderful to see that after several years and the week before we were due to leave parliament is about to have a debate about what should happen when we leave.

The previous way of doing things, where the agreement was based on red lines that no one else shared and the agreement details only revealed when it been agreed and everyone hated it, seems not to have worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                        Wonderful to see that after several years and the week before we were due to leave parliament is about to have a debate about what should happen when we leave.
                        So they have now decided to devote a bit of time to deciding things that they should have planned properly before triggering ArticleArticle 50.

I'm not at all surprised though, the whole thing has been a farce right from the beginning (from before David Cameron even started the motions required for a referendum to be held).

Comment

But in the real world there will be no serious shortages. Medicines have been planned for. Supermarkets are certainly sorted - profits are at stake. Good old capitalism will ensure there are very few issues. The answer to the question of "how we are supposed to fill the current gap between what we eat and what we grow for the next year or so" is simple. The way we do now.
                          Supermarkets simply cannot store fresh produce so this is far from sorted. Medicines are not "planned for" as the government asked companies to stockpile 6 weeks supplies and told the NHS not to stockpile. There are often medicine shortages anyway as companies decide where they can get the best price - but those shortages have increased considerably recently and the NHS is paying more for drugs, when it can get them. You can google that or see the comments on twitter.

As for food banks - when there are food shortages and price rises do you feed yourself and your family or donate to the food bank?

This is the best report I've seen on food post Brexit https://www.countryfile.com/news/can...-after-brexit/ In the long term greater food security is a possible advantage of Brexit, in the short term it makes sense to store jam, tinned and dried fruit (since fresh fruit will be in short supply for months ) and if you have freezer space you might want extra packs of broccoli. If you have space create a vegetable plot or plant and everyone can grow salad leaves.

We can survive without the Christmas chestnuts - but you still need to eat something. We could, of course, eat any flowers that make it through the queues and rediscover herbal remedies again - dandelion coffee anyone https://www.eatweeds.co.uk/dandelion-root-coffee-recipe ?

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                            The subject of this talk is the United States. I think a lot of it applies to the UK also:

Care to summarise that video in a sentence or two? I tried to watch a little but it was so tedious I couldnt.

Comment

extension%20may_0.jpg?itok=0bfkMBcJ.jpg

Comment

The world must seem very black and depressing to some people!

From the BBC (pro Remain of course so worst case scenario always painted):

"The government has said that while a no-deal Brexit alone won't lead to food shortages, consumer behaviour could. Panic buying could mean food retailers run short of some products.

Supermarkets say they have been stockpiling some foods - but they are unable to do that for some fresh fruit and veg."

They go on to say that 90% of our lettuce comes from the EU...not a huge or worrying loss for a few weeks...

from The Telegraph:

"A royal college has said that drug supplies are "very largely secured" for the possibility of a no-deal departure from the EU.

In an update to doctors, Prof Russell Viner, the president of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, said he had been "considerably reassured" by the Government's preparations for such an outcome.

Addressing more than 19,000 members, Prof Viner said that, contrary to many reports, there was no need to stockpile medicines and urged them to "dissuade patients from doing so.""

As I have said it is a choice of lettuce over freedom..I know which I would choose!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X